Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone been approved for BTEA yet?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

One down one to go.

Got approved for my BTEA, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭rhonda15

2mature wrote: »
    I Just recived a letter from SW today to say I have been approved for btea ...applied in early july and called in about 3 times ..Thats here in Cork...they are going alphabetically and my surname begins with M....

It says I Have to get letter from admissions office in college b4 payment can begin...do I have to wait til registration to do this??

that is my understanding ...
    I called UL and they said 1st day of lectures (in my case the 6th Sept) I have to go to Student Admin office and get a letter to say I've been registered and length of time of the course.

Thing is I have to enroll and attend orientation on Aug 31 - I can't see why they can't register me then ... but no I have to wait till first day of lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

rhonda15 wrote: »
    If they both don't come through there is no way I can afford it.
    you don't get both - if you get BTEA they will just pay registration fees

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ROCE1977

Applied last Thursday. Went into the Social Monday and put a bit of pressure on. Got approved today.

I must say since I was made redundant last year (may 09) the Social welfare have been very good to me. Very quick in processing my claims, and never a que when I signed on.

Got good news today. i had won my request for review. it appears the 5 weeks i spent on FAS was considered as a return to work until i visited my local office yesterday and asked for a meeting with facilitator and explained. Have to say my local TD fought tooth and nail for me fair play to him.

Best of luck everyone in their studies and for those who don't qualify by a mere few days don't give up yet. Show them how much your course means to you and keep your options open.

Happy days :)

• Advertisement

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    you don't get both - if you get BTEA they will just pay registration fees

that's not my understanding do you have a link to back up that claim?

alot of disinfo going around

Edit:

Q: I am enrolling in a course approved for a student grant. I expect to qualify for the BTEA. Will this affect my grant application?

A: Yes. From September 2010 onwards, students entering a new course who are in receipt of the BTEA will no longer be eligible for a maintenance grant. Such students, can, however apply under the relevant student grant scheme to have the student services charge and any tuition fees payable for the course paid on their behalf.

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7928/back-to-education-allowance/index.html

Doesn't say anything about not being eligible for having full fees paid (including registration).

Doesn't say anything about not being eligible for having full fees paid.
    If you receive BTEA you are also eligible to apply for the maintenance grant to cover your registration fees that what I meant

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Rhonda,

If you get Btea you can still qualify for free tuition fees under all the normal circumstances.
    All students must pay a registration fee though (€1500 approx) regardless of getting free tuition fees or not.

In general if you are eligible to recieve a grant this reg fee is given directly to the college plus an additional sum is given to you depending on your circumstances, however, recipients of Btea are only eligble for the reg fees to be paid and will not get any additional money from the grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 RhodeIslandRed

I did a diploma 20 years ago. I've been unemployed for 18 months and have been offered a place on a level 5 Fetac course in Sept. I'm wondering whether I should not say anything about the Diploma in order to get the BTEA. Anyone any advice please?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

Re the diploma situation:
    Find out who your jobs facilitator is and give them a bell.
    I had the nicest folks ever to deal with and they were more than willing to advise on that stuff.

I wouldn't phrase it as lying to them but ask whether it's relevant.

I dealt with the guys in North Cumberland St for my claim and the lads in there were bang on, they seemed like the sort that if they could swing anything in your favour they would and were all really understanding and tried to give me what best suited my needs so if you get as lucky as I did there they should push it through for you if they can.

Best of Luck

• Advertisement

that's not my understanding do you have a link to back up that claim?

alot of disinfo going around

Edit:

Q: I am enrolling in a course approved for a student grant. I expect to qualify for the BTEA. Will this affect my grant application?

A: Yes. From September 2010 onwards, students entering a new course who are in receipt of the BTEA will no longer be eligible for a maintenance grant. Such students, can, however apply under the relevant student grant scheme to have the student services charge (registration) and any tuition fees payable for the course paid on their behalf.

http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7928/back-to-education-allowance/index.html

Doesn't say anything about not being eligible for having full fees paid (including registration).

The way I read the above is that if you get the BTEA you may also be eligible to have your fees paid including registration.

Some here are spinning it like if you get the btea you will have to pay registration costs and/or tuition fees - I'm saying that is not automatically the case.

Also I always thought maintenance was supposed to help you maintain yourself while in college. I didn't know it was usually used to pay for registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

The way I read the above is that if you get the BTEA you may also be eligible to have your fees paid including registration.

Some here are spinning it like if you get the btea you will have to pay registration costs and/or tuition fees - I'm saying that is not automatically the case.

Also I always thought maintenance was supposed to help you maintain yourself while in college. I didn't know it was usually used to pay for registration.

If you get Btea you may also be eligible to have your fees including registration covered. Registration fees will be determined by your Grant awarding body.
    The maintenance grant is not used to cover registration but indeed to support yourself. However since budget 2009 you cannot/will not receive the maintenance part of your grant application if you receive BTEA.

I think you need to ring The Btea main office and also your Local COCO to have it clearly explained.

I think you misinterpreted what myself and others wrote

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

hey just wondering if anyone experienced a loss in payment while waiting for btea?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jewell

Hi All,

Congrats to those who have already been approved. I sent my application in, in early July, it got lost!!! so I had to submit another one. I'm in receipt of carer's allowance so had to sent it to Longford( not my local office) they were very nice to deal with on the phone but I still haven't heard anything back so I'm just wondering if anyone else is waiting for approval from carer's allowance office in Longford.

Its really a case of 'weight off shoulders' once BTEA is granted so I'd love to just know :confused:

Has anyone doing a masters had any luck getting BTEA for a masters program?

I have applied but I have a feeling I'm not going to get it even though I've been out of work a few years now and the course I'm has a very high rate of employability afterward.

I do not get why Hdips are funded and Masters are not.

I am looking at another year on the dole if I don't do this course which is looking unlikely now if I don't get the BTEA.

So frustrated.:(

I didn't apply for BTEA because it very clearly states you can't do masters on it

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭rachums

can anyone help me!?

I want to apply for the back to ed, but it says i need a letter of confirmation of registration from the college. I contacted ucd, but they said they cannot do it for me cause I havent paid my fees yet..

Im thinking should i go into the social welfare with completed forms and part one of my registration to get a head start? or will they ignore me untill i have my letter of confirmation?

Its starting to hurt my head thinking about it!! STRESS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

You send in your application form now to the SW office and they will approve (or not) your application in principle. After you register with the college you get a letter of proof of registration from the academic / registrars office and supply this to the SW office. Then they will put you on BTEA officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭rachums

ah thanks, i was wondering how everyone was applying without these letters! thanks very much!

• Advertisement

rachums wrote: »
    can anyone help me!?

I want to apply for the back to ed, but it says i need a letter of confirmation of registration from the college. I contacted ucd, but they said they cannot do it for me cause I havent paid my fees yet..

Im thinking should i go into the social welfare with completed forms and part one of my registration to get a head start? or will they ignore me untill i have my letter of confirmation?

Its starting to hurt my head thinking about it!! STRESS!

and remember as well to apply to get your registration fees paid by the maintenance grant see - you wont get the grant but they might pay your registration fees see www.studentfinance.ie for application forms

Terry Pratchet

I didn't apply for BTEA because it very clearly states you can't do masters on it

I called the BTEA head office in Carrick on Shannon and explained my situation to them. Apparently up until 2003 they did cover masters programs under the BTEA, then they inexplicably cut off funding.
    The only way now you can be funded for a masters is if you are offered a place on the strength of work/life history and you do not already have a primary degree.
    I have a friend in this situation who ran his own business for many years, and has set up his own web design business who has been offered a place on the interactive media masters at UL. He will qualify for the BTEA he has been told.
    Regretfully in my case I am going to have to turn down my place on the Interactive Media course in UL because I do not qualify for the BTEA, though I have been out of work for almost 2 years now.

Economically it does not make any sense for them not to pay BTEA as now they will be paying me the dole for probably the next year anyway, which will be taxpayer money wasted as I would prefer to retrain and improve my employment prospects. The lady at the BTEA head office agreed with me but there was nothing she could do as those are the rules. The issue was put before the Minister Eamon O Cuiv a few months back and no changes were made. In all honesty they are going to have to do something and change this, especially for people who have been out of work for a while.

Them's the breaks I guess. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ROCE1977

I called the BTEA head office in Carrick on Shannon and explained my situation to them. Apparently up until 2003 they did cover masters programs under the BTEA, then they inexplicably cut off funding.
    The only way now you can be funded for a masters is if you are offered a place on the strength of work/life history and you do not already have a primary degree.
    I have a friend in this situation who ran his own business for many years, and has set up his own web design business who has been offered a place on the interactive media masters at UL. He will qualify for the BTEA he has been told.
    Regretfully in my case I am going to have to turn down my place on the Interactive Media course in UL because I do not qualify for the BTEA, though I have been out of work for almost 2 years now.

Economically it does not make any sense for them not to pay BTEA as now they will be paying me the dole for probably the next year anyway, which will be taxpayer money wasted as I would prefer to retrain and improve my employment prospects. The lady at the BTEA head office agreed with me but there was nothing she could do as those are the rules. The issue was put before the Minister Eamon O Cuiv a few months back and no changes were made. In all honesty they are going to have to do something and change this, especially for people who have been out of work for a while.

Them's the breaks I guess. :(

Fight for it. Go to your local VEC or TD and make as much about it as possible. Co to the college and speak to someone in the student support center. Don't give up just yet.

I know its mad they'll give you job seekers when there is no work, but won't pay for retraining or education. Unless you do a worthless FAS course. :oGoes to show why this country is falling apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Smarmy

I'm getting very frustrated with them now. I applied 2 months ago and I'm still waiting to hear whether or not I've been approved. I spoke to someone in my local Social Welfare office 2 weeks ago and she said I will hear within a week, yet I still haven't heard anything. I called yesterday morning first thing after the post came and the man who answered said he would get whoever is in charge of the BTEA to call me back, but over a day later nobody has called me back.

It's very frustrating as getting the BTEA is essential to me going back to college. I don't want to ring and give them a hard time about it, as they might refuse my BTEA out of spite lol

ROCE1977 wrote: »
    Fight for it. Go to your local VEC or TD and make as much about it as possible. Co to the college and speak to someone in the student support center. Don't give up just yet.

I know its mad they'll give you job seekers when there is no work, but won't pay for retraining or education. Unless you do a worthless FAS course. :oGoes to show why this country is falling apart.

I went to my local TD and he made representations on my behalf - still no go.
    I'm still waiting to hear back from the county council re. the higher ed grant and whether they can give me maintenance.

I'm not sure what the Student Support Center can do but I guess it won't hurt to try.

Believe me I've tried everything.

I went to my local TD and he made representations on my behalf - still no go.
    I'm still waiting to hear back from the county council re. the higher ed grant and whether they can give me maintenance.

I'm not sure what the Student Support Center can do but I guess it won't hurt to try.

Believe me I've tried everything.

Ask in your college about the student assistance fund - It is to help students in difficult financial circumstances

Terry Pratchet

Ask in your college about the student assistance fund - It is to help students in difficult financial circumstances

thanks - I looked into that - however they cover expenses only up to a maximum of €1,200 - this course is an intensive 1 year course - the course director has recommended people not even to do part time work as it is so intensive - realistically I need to be able to retain my jobseekers allowance (which the BTEA would enable me to do) to be able to do this course right and benefit from it.

I've been thinking I may defer the course for one year and see if my circumstances change and I may be in a position to do it next year. Other than that I don't see what I can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 YorkGold

Can anyone confirm whether casual signers can apply for BTEA?

I was completely unemployed from July-November 09 and have been signing on casually since.

I have over the 234 days and this is my first degree, but do you have to be completely unemployed the entire time or can I still apply?

YorkGold wrote: »

I was completely unemployed from July-November 09 and have been signing on casually since.

I have over the 234 days and this is my first degree, but do you have to be completely unemployed the entire time or can I still apply?

apply. you have the quota and afaik that's all that matters :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sex panther

YorkGold wrote: »

Hey, ya i was only on jobseekers 7/8 months (I thought i didnt have enough days) but my previous casuals allowance counted towards my Btea, and i got it! go into your social welfare and say it to them

Advertisement