Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

another dpi / print related question.

• 27-07-2010 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

*I know I shouldn't contemplate this but I'm at peace with the notion at least as an experiment*

If I want to give (gift) a digital image to someone to print at an agreed size (4x6) then what is the appropriate (lowest) dpi I should use such that they won't go and enlarge - printing at 12x8 or 24x16 - yet get an excellent 4x6 print?

I would normally advise people for 300dpi (i know 360dpi also used) which would give 1200 x 1800 if they were printing traditionally and distributing in paper print form, but i'm thinking someone who knows what they are at could probably make a damn nice enlargement from 1200x1800 if they had the digital file available to them.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I'm posting the link below because I remember reading it before, sounds like something you might need to do a test to find the quality level you're happy with

http://help.deviantart.com/152/
    The minimum acceptable DPI for a deviantART Prints is 100 DPI, although images at this resolution are heavily scrutinzed for any defects or pixelization, and will be rejected if any is found. The recommended minimum DPI is 150, while 300 DPI will make an excellent quality print.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Honestly, if you're giving someone the actual digital file then you've already relinquished control. Ideally you'd want to give it to them at a resolution suitable for printing at 300dpi if they're looking at a 6x4, can you not just trust that they won't abuse the privilege ?

Only alternative I can think of is to upload to photobox or something similar and share it with them as a printable product. I don't know if photobox allows you to restrict the sizes that a product can be printed at , but if not then I'm sure some service does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i would be tempted to say give them it at 240ppi

which at a 12*8 would only be 120 which isnt great, but depends on the subject matter as to if it would look ok

i do have 2 questions though

1. why can you not just do the print for them, and have it shipped to them
    2. if you are worried about the person receiving the image and doing something that you have said you dont want, i would be tempted to say this isnt a person you should be giving a gift of a digital image to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

I use a 'rule-of-thumb' of a minimum of 300 DPI for good quality prints.

However, there is nothing to stop someone trying to print a digital file at any size they choose. The quality may not be great - but different people's perception of 'quality' vary. They may also 'up-res' the image via software - which could produce acceptable (if not perfect) results.

Why not just give the print instead ?

It's for that reason that I no longer give lo-res copies of files to people (except watermarked copies for Facebook etc) - it's hi-res or nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

stcstc wrote: »
    i do have 2 questions though

1. why can you not just do the print for them, and have it shipped to them
    2. if you are worried about the person receiving the image and doing something that you have said you dont want, i would be tempted to say this isnt a person you should be giving a gift of a digital image to

It's an idea based on Humberklog's (i think) rather creative way of *selling* prints at peoples photography last year by literally giving them away. I'm wondering how one might do this online;

so in this context, to answer (1) because there isn't a marketing budget to do it / it isn't a chargeable or a fiscal revenue generator,

and

in the case of (2) - you won't ever know the person or whether they are trustworthy or honourable, so while i'm at comfort with the "eBay philosophy" that in general mankind is good and honourable - sometimes this doesn't work out. My own experience in using ebay is that i've only ever had one problem with sellers. Soooooo, if there is an appropriate minimum dpi it doesn't eliminate your image being abused but it would limit the potential abuse.

Mad, I know. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

ok so is the purpose to give people your images?

could you do something with an online photoplace, photobox for example has a pro gallery thing, where you sell your images they print them etc

you could maybe do something like that where your profit is not a lot??

I am working on something similar for photographers where i will offer a website for people to sell from, and i can then print and ship etc

Advertisement