Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The magic "S"

Options
  • 27-07-2010 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭

got an S put on my .308 today FOC :D

Also got my .308 ammo import in the post also FOC.

So

to DOJ and GS a big THANK YOU :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Rub it in Bollix,
    See ya tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Nice one Tack, have my .223 license in to be reissued with it's S at the moment. S is on Pulse but not my license, didn't feel comfortable with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

johngalway wrote: »
    Nice one Tack, have my .223 license in to be reissued with it's S at the moment. S is on Pulse but not my license, didn't feel comfortable with that!

Mine was the same; I applied 2 weeks ago for it, had to get it re issued, that was Thurs gone and I got it yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Capt Blackadder

Hate to be ignorant lads, but what's an "S" in regards to a fire arms licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

permission to use a silencer/supressor/moderator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Capt Blackadder

Thanks for that.

Thanks for that.

Sorry about that, for a long time it was such a grey area.

So now I have the .223 and .308 licensed to have Moderators/suppressors on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

johngalway wrote: »
    Hey John, how did ya find out it was on pulse? Hmm... got to look into that myself, as I applied for a mod also and didn't get that feckin *S*:rolleyes: Can local station acknowledge it or do I have to go through the superman?

kay 9 wrote: »
    Hey John, how did ya find out it was on pulse? Hmm... got to look into that myself, as I applied for a mod also and didn't get that feckin *S*:rolleyes: Can local station acknowledge it or do I have to go through the superman?

Yes
    Local can verify, she was able to tell me S was on PULSE, I'm going to laminate this one just to be sure :D

All the others are fading/type disapearing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Sorry about that, for a long time it was such a grey area.

So now I have the .223 and .308 licensed to have Moderators/suppressors on now.

Welcome to the club :P

what sub .223 are you using if you dont mine me askin ?

• Advertisement

Welcome to the club :P

what sub .223 are you using if you dont mine me askin ?

I have an ASE Ultra on the .223 and a reflex on the .308

I have an ASE Ultra on the .223 and a reflex on the .308

Sorry i ment subsonic ammo. I cant get reliable sub .223 as its not designet to be subsonic and cycle an action at the same time

Sorry i ment subsonic ammo. I cant get reliable sub .223 as its not designet to be subsonic and cycle an action at the same time

I do not use subsonic ammo as it is restricted in centrefire!

I only Moderate sound so I don't deafen the whole place. The whip craic does not bother me
    All I want is to be able to shoot in comfort without a deafening boom

I do not use subsonic ammo as it is restricted in centrefire!

Please quote the legislation that supports that......

Ive been running Sub sonic in my 9mm for a long time now .. and no hassle gettin it or usin it

Ive been running Sub sonic in my 9mm for a long time now .. and no hassle gettin it or usin it

Where is sparks when you need him!

kay 9 wrote: »

My local Garda is at a substation, no computer. He told me he would check when he got back to the main station. Rang me later in the week to tell me I was approved for a mod according to Pulse system.

5. The following ammunition is declared to be restricted ammunition for the
    purposes of the Act:
    (a) ammunition with penetrating, explosive or incendiary projectiles and
    projectiles for such ammunition;
    (b) slug ammunition for shotguns;
    (c) accelerator or sabot ammunition;
    (d) grenades, bombs and other similar missiles, whether capable or not
    capable of being used with a firearm, including explosive military
    missiles and launchers;
    (e) ammunition for short firearms, except ammunition for any of those
    mentioned in subparagraph (2)(a) or (2)(e) of paragraph 4;
    (f) any other ammunition designed or manufactured for use exclusively in
    a restricted firearm;

(g) ammunition for a prohibited weapon.

purposes of the Act:
    missiles and launchers;
    a restricted firearm;

It's either f or section G

*Sparks to confirm*

Where is sparks when you need him!

If its a case that the messed up law says you cant (1 part saying you can and another saying you cant)

I always go with the can part :)

But runnni a suppressor without propper ammo it like puttin normal unleaded into a race car.... itll run .. but not to its intended proformance.

Suppressors with subsonic ammo reduce my .308 by about 30 db.... so its still loud

IMO its a waste of money to buy a suppressor and not use the proper ammo through it

purposes of the Act:
    missiles and launchers;
    a restricted firearm;

*Sparks to confirm*

Awwwww ... i feel a debate coming out here !

So depending on what way you look at it lets say to start .338 lapua......is anybody with a resticted B/A (ie above .308) not able to buy ammo... or have to get a seperate licence because the ammo is restricted.... ??

because that a load of balls !!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Speaking of reprints, has anyone lost a licence and had to get it replaced, whats the procedure/cost?

If its a case that the messed up law says you cant (1 part saying you can and another saying you cant)

I always go with the can part :)

But runnni a suppressor without propper ammo it like puttin normal unleaded into a race car.... itll run .. but not to its intended proformance.

Suppressors with subsonic ammo reduce my .308 by about 30 db.... so its still loud

IMO its a waste of money to buy a suppressor and not use the proper ammo through it

the supressor cuts down on energy from round as is, why use would I as a Hunter want to lose any more power, The .223 has shot bunnies out to nearly 400 yards head shots, the .308 is for deer.

So low velocity ammo not for me.

To the best of my knowledge subsonic in centrefire rifles is restricted.

I play within the rules set down. my 40 cal is prob subsonic with most ammo, however pistols are Generally regarded as low velocity anyway in regards to ammo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

....Ive been running Sub sonic in my 9mm for a long time now....

Why?

Rew wrote: »
    Speaking of reprints, has anyone lost a licence and had to get it replaced, whats the procedure/cost?

Free,conttact yer local FO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

purposes of the Act:
    missiles and launchers;
    a restricted firearm;

*Sparks to confirm*

What in the name of all that's holy are you on about???

If your firearm is restricted, then generally speaking so is the ammunition, but since you have a licence for it, then you have a licence for the ammunition. Otherwise what use is the firearm?

You appear to have both a .308 and a .223, both are not restricted unless they are semi-automatic. Regardless of whether they are semi or not, the ammo is most definitely unrestricted because the calibres themselves are.

The speed of the ammunition has no bearing on whether it's restricted or not.

Prohibited ammunition is prohibited :rolleyes:

rrpc wrote: »
    What in the name of all that's holy are you on about???

If your firearm is restricted, then generally speaking so is the ammunition, but since you have a licence for it, then you have a licence for the ammunition. Otherwise what use is the firearm?

You appear to have both a .308 and a .223, both are not restricted unless they are semi-automatic. Regardless of whether they are semi or not, the ammo is most definitely unrestricted because the calibres themselves are.

The speed of the ammunition has no bearing on whether it's restricted or not.

Prohibited ammunition is prohibited :rolleyes:

A Moderator is restricted on a centrefire.
    Both have mods on so both are restricted.

Twas sparkie who started the whole subsonic centrefire restricted bit, do a search of threads on here; it's here somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Sorry lads for butting in, but would i need a "s" on my licence for my air rifle? I bought a silencer in the uk for my pcp and iam wondering would it be illegal now because iv no "s"?

skipz wrote: »
    Sorry lads for butting in, but would i need a "s" on my licence for my air rifle? I bought a silencer in the uk for my pcp and iam wondering would it be illegal now because iv no "s"?

Yes, you'll need an S.

the supressor cuts down on energy from round as is, why use would I as a Hunter want to lose any more power, The .223 has shot bunnies out to nearly 400 yards head shots, the .308 is for deer.

So low velocity ammo not for me.

I play within the rules set down. my 40 cal is prob subsonic with most ammo, however pistols are Generally regarded as low velocity anyway in regards to ammo[/QUOTE]
    the supressor cuts down on energy from round

You could have bought suitable ammo without havin the expence/ordeal in gettin the "S" on your licence

It also severly reduces range because of the drop in velocity of the round fined.

I would have thought low velocity ammo would be better for you as generally subsonic ammo there has a very heavy head... eg.... for my 9mm i have to use 147grn anything less and the suppressor is ineffective. by the way im not implying that i or any1 should hunt with a handgun im just using it as an example.

You arent making sence at all and you obviously havent even thougth about what your saying or what Section F of the law implys.

Subsonic most certainly restricted isnt as far as im concerned and if it was since I have a licence for a restricted (4 actually) firearm then i believe Im entitled to have such ammo

I play within the rules set down

I believe you play safe... its very hard to play by the rules as 1 rule says x... while another says y.... perfect example.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055975986

Any yes your right .40 cal and in particular .45 cal ammo is produced as subsonic normally as the weight and shape of the round do not allow it to travel supersonic... but it can still be bought here !

• Advertisement

skipz wrote: »

To the best of my knowledge on an air rifle it's ok, again sparks to confirm.

Air rifle are not my passion so I am not certain, I think the main deal is with centrefire rifles.

Advertisement