Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The magic "S"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

RRPC Surely you of all people can get your hands on a chrono??
    Effort... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

rrpc wrote: »
    Effort... :D

Gooooooooooo on, you know the satisfaction of proving someone right or wrong will be worth it.

I don't know what to believe now.

i have 2 mods on but I never chronographed either, last rifle I chrono'ed was a Krico SA back in 99! And that was only because someone lent me a chrono

Gooooooooooo on, you know the satisfaction of proving someone right or wrong will be worth it.

I don't know what to believe now.

i have 2 mods on but I never chronographed either, last rifle I chrono'ed was a Krico SA back in 99! And that was only because someone lent me a chrono
    I don't have any centrefires with mods, so it would be an effort :D

Did a quick Google search and found at least two people who maintained that they speeded up the rounds slightly.

I suspect that there are too many variables to make a definitive judgment without having a wide range of calibres/mods/ammo to chrono.

And an appropriate range of course. ;)

I don't have any centrefires with mods, so it would be an effort :D

Did a quick Google search and found at least two people who maintained that they speeded up the rounds slightly.

I suspect that there are too many variables to make a definitive judgment without having a wide range of calibres/mods/ammo to chrono.

And an appropriate range of course. ;)

I have the range, 2 calibres and 2 different mods!( and I'm prepared to supply several brands of ammo)

I'm sure i could rustle up a few more shooters to prove, disprove.

Chrono's I don't have RRPC do it for Science's sake!!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Sika_Stalker

feck it ill chrono tomorrow and get back to ye with the results

• Advertisement

feck it ill chrono tomorrow and get back to ye with the results

thank you kind sir!

At last we may get to the bottom of this.

i suggest take 3 shots Mod on and off.
    Take the average speed and that should be accurate enough to dispell any mistruths and also save on Ammo!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Sika_Stalker

thank you kind sir!

At last we may get to the bottom of this.

i suggest take 3 shots Mod on and off.
    Take the average speed and that should be accurate enough to dispell any mistruths and also save on Ammo!

ok so out of a 3 shot test with mod on using a .270wsm with an a-tec mod
    the average speed was 3039fps
    3 shots without mod the average speed was 3133fps.
    now with it being only 1 test ill try the same with a swift and a .223 later on today

ok so out of a 3 shot test with mod on using a .270wsm with an a-tec mod
    the average speed was 3039fps
    3 shots without mod the average speed was 3133fps.
    now with it being only 1 test ill try the same with a swift and a .223 later on today

At last some REAL DATA!

I must buy one of these chronos!
    ;)

At last some REAL DATA!

I must buy one of these chronos!
    ;)
    A chrono is of limited use unless you're handloading. The only use I'd have for one is for air rifle or air pistol to make sure that all the bits are functioning properly. When using factory target rounds, most of the serious shooters are using batch tested ammo and a chrono would really only be used for confirmation rather than investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 LongRifle

Here’s some more test data from last year with a chrony:

.17hmr – Federal 17gr V-Max

No-Sub - Sub
    2514 - 2506
    2517 - 2534
    2515 - 2547
    2519 - 2511
    2525 - 2552

.17hmr – Remington 17gr V-Max

No-Sub - Sub
    2519 - 2552
    2535 - 2593
    2548 - 2566
    2537 - 2582
    2525 - 2578

.17hmr – Hornady 20gr XTP

No-Sub - Sub
    2354 - 2400
    2365 - 2425
    2360 - 2380
    2357 - 2404
    2377 - 2391

I also have a small bit of .308 data from the same time, but unfortunately I didn’t take note of the ammo because I was testing the .17hmr at the time and it was only an after thought so take it or leave it:

No-Sub - Sub
    2832 - 2842
    2866 - 2857
    2824 - 2862

Not arguing with Sika Stalkers data but take a look at the physics of a suppressor for a minute;
    It’s a series of expansion chambers and baffles designed to allow the hot gas travelling behind the bullet to expand and cool before contact with the outside air. If the suppressor is fitted correctly, the bullet in no way makes contact with it as it passes between the baffles and exits the suppressor. The bullet is also travelling faster and in front of the expanding gas so this has no effect either.

• Advertisement

That's interesting, so on average, the bullet speeds up with a supressor rather than slows down and does it quite significantly in most cases too.

That's interesting, so on average, the bullet speeds up with a supressor rather than slows down and does it quite significantly in most cases too.

I would say with the .17hmr data, that would seem to be the case.
    With the limited .308 data, any real + or - gets lost in the variances between rounds through the chrony.
    I’d put more weight in the design of the suppressor to give you the answer.

LongRifle wrote: »
    I would say with the .17hmr data, that would seem to be the case.
    With the limited .308 data, any real + or - gets lost in the variances between rounds through the chrony.
    I’d put more weight in the design of the suppressor to give you the answer.

Interesting.

One would need a few more Boards members to do the same on different ammo and different mods, and see is there any trends forming.

Interesting, Very Interesting!

RRPC you may lend me your chrono!!

Since I do not load I have no reason to buy one, but I would like to test out these new Intershoots ammo I'm getting vs. Hornady with Mod on and Off

Interesting.

One would need a few more Boards members to do the same on different ammo and different mods, and see is there any trends forming.

Interesting, Very Interesting!

RRPC you may lend me your chrono!!

Since I do not load I have no reason to buy one, but I would like to test out these new Intershoots ammo I'm getting vs. Hornady with Mod on and Off
    An airgun chrono wouldn't be any use to you :D

First off;
    you may lend me your chrono!!...Since I do not load I have no reason to buy one...

Are you trying to imply something there?

Second;

The way you manage to completely contradict yourself within the one sentence is simply astounding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Chronographs aren't all THAT terribly expensive:
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/cid=5525/k=/t=S/mfg=/Products/Chronographs

What's that, the price of 8 or 10 boxes of fancy centrefire target ammunition?

If you have an interest in ballistics and a few rifles with a whole load of variables (different ammo, mod on/off, whatever), it shouldn't be TOO hard to justify it to yourself. :D

LongRifle wrote: »
    First off;

Are you trying to imply something there?
    No. I implied nothing, it was referring to RRPC's post
    Second;

The way you manage to completely contradict yourself within the one sentence is simply astounding!

Very simple, I do not load. RRPC said they are only of any use if you load.

I am getting ammo soon, and I would like to compare all my .308 ammo as often factory info is inaccurate.

I'd prefer a LEND of a Chrono as i would only use it for a couple of hours tops!

So I do not think I should buy one for that reason.

I thought I was very clear, I only wanted to test out if a moderator slows down or speeds up ammo. As I will soon have 4 different ammo in .308 and .223 I reckon this would be a good time to test, and as i have 2 different rifles long barrel and short, long mod and short the date should prove useful and above all accurate.

Hopefully that clears up your questioning of my motives

Rovi wrote: »
    Chronographs aren't all THAT terribly expensive:
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/cid=5525/k=/t=S/mfg=/Products/Chronographs

What's that, the price of 8 or 10 boxes of fancy centrefire target ammunition?

If you have an interest in ballistics and a few rifles with a whole load of variables (different ammo, mod on/off, whatever), it shouldn't be TOO hard to justify it to yourself. :D
    Even cheaper on ebay :D

Very simple, I do not load. RRPC said they are only of any use if you load.
    I didn't just say that, and the implication was (seeing as handloading is still not legal here) that I was doing something illegal.

I actually don't have a chrony, but know where I can borrow one if needed. OTOH, seeing as they are now quite affordable and since my stated use was for testing airguns, I might just invest.

I've faaaaaaaaar to much shooting gear as is, if you saw my house, between Shooting and DF gear I have sheds full of it.
    As is I am considering selling some of my gear as I hardly ever use it!

Whats wrong with me getting a loan of one anyway, cheapest way of all!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Adding in shipping ... probably cheaper from brownells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

....I have to say shooting with a mod is waaaaay more fun than without.

A childish and petty attempt to wind me up I presume :rolleyes:
    ....Myself Ezri Ezri Snr and dC were chatting today.
    my old electronic muffs are broken so tractor style muffs made conversation difficult whit .308's booming.

Wow ! you and your friends have 308's :rolleyes:
    ....Myself and my mates can go shooting with mods on and whisper to each other. Tis great :)

Refer to 1st comment here :rolleyes:

"mates" I feel for them having to suffer you !

A childish and petty attempt to wind me up I presume :rolleyes:

Wow ! you and your friends have 308's :rolleyes:

Refer to 1st comment here :rolleyes:

"mates" I feel for them having to suffer you !

bunny, now who is being childish.....

bunny, now who is being childish.....

I have to lower myself to your level so that you understand what I'm saying :p

I have to lower myself to your level so that you understand what I'm saying :p

I don't know why you do Bunny.

I made a comment about not having decent ear muffs anymore as water damaged them from wearing them several days in the rain.

The other comment was it was comfort when shooting with colleagues that mod get rid of the ear damaging noise.
    The guys I was referring to who were firing .308' are FTR so they can't use mods.
    You could get a mod for your swift and .303 if you wanted.

It seems only mods for .22lr are the issue

**bites tongue**

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]
    There's some stuff just above this that COULD be viewed as contrary to the charter rules about 'getting personal' and 'being civil'.
    In the absence of any complaints, we'll choose to see it as good natured banter between mates.

Folks, can we ask everyone to carefully consider their words and the tone of their posts before clicking the 'Submit Reply' button?
    The nature of interaction on a forum is very different to that in the real world; you're not face-to-face and so can't see the other person's body language or facial expression in reaction to what you say, the back-and-forth isn't necessarily immediate with the other person having all the time they want to read and re-read your words and ponder as to their meaning or intent, and you have no way of knowing the immediate circumstances in which to other person is reading what you write.
    In short, it's NOT the same as a bit of slagging or banter with someone at the range or down the pub, where you can immediately see if what you've said is being taken up wrongly and can straight away adjust your approach or apologise or whatever as appropriate.

In addition, even if both parties to the 'banter' are okay with it, it can often look pretty coarse or inappropriate to others who aren't 'in' on the relationship.
    Don't forget, this place is very much 'public', and anyone and everyone can read everything; would you be happy to speak your words aloud in front of an audience (which includes journalists, politicians, Gardai, a host of interested/disinterested strangers, and potentially also your parents, your primary school teacher, and your elderly maiden aunt), and have them freely discussed and disseminated?

Anyhow, carry on, but please try to bear the above in mind while doing so.
    [/MOD]

Rovi wrote: »
    [MOD]
    There's some stuff just above this that COULD be viewed as contrary to the charter rules about 'getting personal' and 'being civil'.
    In the absence of any complaints, we'll choose to see it as good natured banter between mates.

Folks, can we ask everyone to carefully consider their words and the tone of their posts before clicking the 'Submit Reply' button?
    The nature of interaction on a forum is very different to that in the real world; you're not face-to-face and so can't see the other person's body language or facial expression in reaction to what you say, the back-and-forth isn't necessarily immediate with the other person having all the time they want to read and re-read your words and ponder as to their meaning or intent, and you have no way of knowing the immediate circumstances in which to other person is reading what you write.
    In short, it's NOT the same as a bit of slagging or banter with someone at the range or down the pub, where you can immediately see if what you've said is being taken up wrongly and can straight away adjust your approach or apologise or whatever as appropriate.

In addition, even if both parties to the 'banter' are okay with it, it can often look pretty coarse or inappropriate to others who aren't 'in' on the relationship.
    Don't forget, this place is very much 'public', and anyone and everyone can read everything; would you be happy to speak your words aloud in front of an audience (which includes journalists, politicians, Gardai, a host interested/disinterested strangers, and potentially also your parents, your primary school teacher, and your elderly maiden aunt), and have them freely discussed and disseminated?

Anyhow, carry on, but please try to bear the above in mind while doing so.
    [/MOD]

+1

Why do I feel everyone is looking at me :eek::p:D

• Advertisement

Why do I feel everyone is looking at me :eek::p:D

No hard feelings Bunny!

I'm not going to get much shooting today as it is lashing rain, and I have an old man promised i'll get him a rabbit for his fox trap.
    I do see a glimmer of blue shy in the distance though ;)

Advertisement