Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

using someone abuse.

• 27-07-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I have a female nieghbour living alone who is not a young person, has health problems, has a very difficult life of her own who is being totally abused by another male neighbour in that he tells her ( on a regular basis) that he'll only be a few minutes and asks could she babysit his young child. The problem is that he never comes back for 5/6/7/8hours, whatever.

The woman has no self esteem, and no assertive skills of her own. She just can't say no to anyone. What he is doing is not illegal but just not right.

She complains to me about it and is wiped out after each session.
    I've told her over and over to say no, she just can't do it.
    She is not in a position to attend an assertiveness course and the man cannot be approached on the subject by a third party.

Anyone any suggestions on how we can stop this abuse.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Its blunt, but maybe you should say it for her if shes really that reluctant. He cant really force her after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'd normally say keep your nose out, but in this case I wonder if there is a way to subtly 'mark his card' so to speak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

just tell her to not answer the door. if its people she knows they can ring ahead

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Agree with the above. Just ignore the door. Or if she is put on the spot, get her to tell the guy that she won't be at home and has personal stuff to attend to. He is just a bully and will continue to do it unless she makes some small stance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

n who is being totally abused by another male neighbour in that he tells her ( on a regular basis) that he'll only be a few minutes and asks could she babysit his young child. The problem is that he never comes back for 5/6/7/8hours, whatever.
    She complains to me about it

No self esteem but she feels able to complain to you about her problems?
    And she wants you to do what?
    Maybe complain wasn't the correct term

Give her a short bit of advice like stated above and then stay out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭the watchman

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Agree with the above. Just ignore the door. Or if she is put on the spot, get her to tell the guy that she won't be at home and has personal stuff to attend to. He is just a bully and will continue to do it unless she makes some small stance.

Can't be done , can't ignoor door and as previously stated ,no assertivness skills:rolleyes:

No self esteem but she feels able to complain to you about her problems?
    And she wants you to do what?
    Maybe complain wasn't the correct term

Give her a short bit of advice like stated above and then stay out of it.

sorry. Not complained, shall we say mentions. She wants me to do nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Tell her to start charging so.

I don't know what babysitters earn but my sisters sure don't work for free when they do it.
    Sure 8 hours is a full shift for most working people.

Once in a while for neighbours is ok.
    But this has gone too far, may as well make get paid for it. Set it so high he'll baulk at it

This guy won't pay, he won't come back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

It's not your place to get involved.. This will only cause ill feeling between the "user" and the two of you.

The woman needs to either
    a) dont answer the door or
    b) just tell him that she's heading out / expecting visitors / has to see the doctor ....... that's just three legitimate excuses off the top of my head.

But if she feels intimidated into doing it by him, then she is gonna probably end up having to call the guards..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭LostInDharma

If she actually wants you to do nothing then there is nothing you can do. She really needs to help herself or at the very leaast look for help.

As a step toward that you could suggest that you speak to the neighbor about the situation or come up with an excuse she can use next time he comes knocking, like:

"I cant right now as "the watchman" has asked me to call over to help with <insert excuse>"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Well then it is really none of your business tbh. Slightly harsh perhaps but if she can't actually work up the balls to not answer her door (hardly requiring a purple heart in bravery) then let her deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Can't be done , can't ignoor door and as previously stated ,no assertivness skills:rolleyes:

So she can't ignore the door - Is she able to spin him a yarn or turn it around and mess him about e.g.
    I'm heading out in 5 minutes but will be back in 20 and I'll mind kid then ...then piss off for the afternoon .

Hi All, Op here,
    thanks for the comments but it is as I thought theres very little that can be done.
    I did word my first post as carefully as poss but some replies have missed the point that the lady cannot do any of the things you mention for the reason I mention in first post. You cannot judge or compare the woman to yourselves and what you would and are capable of doing. If it was that easy I wouldn't have put it 'out there'.
    As I said to one councellor recently sadly there are some people that you just can't help and just have to let go. Bloody tragic. Cruel world is for some isn't it.

Thanks again anyway. best leave subject now.

Advertisement