Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small Tortoise Butterfly C&C

• 27-07-2010 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

been a while since I asked for comments, so here goes nothing ...

Got a new lowepro 100aw bag today, and just had to give it a test drive [well, bike ride] Also an opportunity to test out the zoom on the Tamron 75-300 I bought last week [used, but perfect nick]

A non-macro lens, so these will not be considered true macro, but very, very close ups maybe. Whatchya think? :

2C8055BD2BAD4B95A15EAB0D4C782D61-800.jpg

0876873DFD534D40B7F7306FDE7E62D9-800.jpg

AB462F54B6CB4BECA0D1D9A7205AC0E3-800.jpg

D24721E9668C4E7CB95A13CD26FD1E7C-800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Nice shots! I think the 1st is the best, no crazy about the last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Yeah, disappointed with the last one really, wanted to get both in but as they were moving around a lot, just landing for quick drinks, I shot off loads at 5fps hoping to get both of them sharp. The bee turned out sharper in the end.

Thanks, 1st is my own fav. It's actually turned 90 degrees, the butterfly was actually facing directly down the flower :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I'm in no way expert in macro (infact expert on very little so take these comments for whatever makes sense to you from them) - My immediate impression whether right or wrong is that i'm seeing a lack of appropriate sharpness and in general not terribly pretty compositions (background, appropriate depth of field, distracting elements, poor framing).

What i'm getting at probably include some things that aren't particularly in your control - for example; the flower head which the little guy landed upon is probably past its best for the year as is particularly stark in #3 (lot of stuff in our garden is that way at the moment and needs a refresh/visit to the garden centre) - but to me it doesn't make for a pleasant aesthetic. Nevertheless as a photographer you need to deal with it. Have a vision of what you want to achieve and have the know how as to how to achieve it.

The lack of sharpness in some instances may be destructive processing - did you postprocess/how?. I did try to exif peek but I think your pix.ie exif is off? (setting in your profile setup).

In terms of composition in #1, the bud left hand side isn't very aesthetically pleasing to me (might be just me) but also has a peculiar crop position in that it appears to be just hovering there.

The last one is kinda awkward, what is the subject? The bee? in which case the butterfly with closed wings distracts big time or is it the butterfly, in which case between your decisive moment and the actual physical click the butterfly decided not to co-operate.

Hmnn.... i'm not mad on them tbh but that's a subjective opinion.

If it were me (and I regularly have to do this) I'd ask myself what it is that I want to capture. The answer to this shouldn't simple be "a butterfly". If it is then you are what I would consider just doing the snapshot thing (perfectly ok in its own sense of the art) But as a photographer you should include things like what perspective, colour, implied action/motion if any, focal length with reference to compression and potential aberrations of the lens, brightness, scene, background and so forth. What is the overall aesthetic? How will it be processed? You need to get to what will separate your image of a butterfly from the millions of other butterfly images that are out there. Even if just copying something that you've seen which is a striking image of a butterfly, there is a range of parameters that you'd need to meet.

My 2c and only 2c which means that i'm 98c short of a euro :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

The new lowepro 100aw bag has made all the difference but...
    #1 is best and the rest I agree with the Mod bloke, which I don't like doing.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    I'm in no way expert in macro (infact expert on very little so take these comments for whatever makes sense to you from them) - My immediate impression whether right or wrong is that i'm seeing a lack of appropriate sharpness and in general not terribly pretty compositions (background, appropriate depth of field, distracting elements, poor framing).

What i'm getting at probably include some things that aren't particularly in your control - for example; the flower head which the little guy landed upon is probably past its best for the year as is particularly stark in #3 (lot of stuff in our garden is that way at the moment and needs a refresh/visit to the garden centre) - but to me it doesn't make for a pleasant aesthetic. Nevertheless as a photographer you need to deal with it. Have a vision of what you want to achieve and have the know how as to how to achieve it.

The lack of sharpness in some instances may be destructive processing - did you postprocess/how?. I did try to exif peek but I think your pix.ie exif is off? (setting in your profile setup).

In terms of composition in #1, the bud left hand side isn't very aesthetically pleasing to me (might be just me) but also has a peculiar crop position in that it appears to be just hovering there.

The last one is kinda awkward, what is the subject? The bee? in which case the butterfly with closed wings distracts big time or is it the butterfly, in which case between your decisive moment and the actual physical click the butterfly decided not to co-operate.

Hmnn.... i'm not mad on them tbh but that's a subjective opinion.

If it were me (and I regularly have to do this) I'd ask myself what it is that I want to capture. The answer to this shouldn't simple be "a butterfly". If it is then you are what I would consider just doing the snapshot thing (perfectly ok in its own sense of the art) But as a photographer you should include things like what perspective, colour, implied action/motion if any, focal length with reference to compression and potential aberrations of the lens, brightness, scene, background and so forth. What is the overall aesthetic? How will it be processed? You need to get to what will separate your image of a butterfly from the millions of other butterfly images that are out there. Even if just copying something that you've seen which is a striking image of a butterfly, there is a range of parameters that you'd need to meet.

My 2c and only 2c which means that i'm 98c short of a euro :D

I hear ya :)

It was pretty much spur of the moment though, I didn't set out to photograph anything in particular .. just ... something to test the lens out really.

I was sure my exif was on over at Pix? if not, I'll sort that, I'm not one for hiding it, in fact, I hate when people do that!

The one with the bee ... well, I was simply trying to include both creatures, as they shared the flower. Nothing more. And because the bee only hung around for a few seconds, that is the best I got.

One major issue, which I didn't mention, and you'd see in the exif if it was viewable, is that I had left the camera @ ISO 500 ... and the D200 doesn't really handle much above 400 very well. Especially in strong sunlight when it's not needed at all! That was a total n00b mistake.

So yeah, i had to process a lot of noise out, well spotted ;)

Personally I love the first one, the others were extra far as i was concerned. Looking at a mag earlier with butterfly shots, I was kinda proud, as mine are 'almost' as detailed without using a proper macro lens. And I am still getting to grips with this camera [have it less than a week, and I find it a big step up from the Sony A200] - no excuses, i need to learn as I go, but the high ISO in sunlight thing ... kicking myself tbh. They should have been sharper and not needed so much PP.

As for composition, I don't get why you don't like that? I thought I got some nice angles. But it is a matter of taste and opinion, and I appreciate the input :)

Bag is Ace AR, tidy and big enough , at last! for me to have the cam with zoom lens attached in bag at ready. Finally have room for my blower, torch, 50mm [when I get one] plus flash gun [when I get one] :D

By the way, I was hanging over a fence with lens on full 300mm shooting this little guy, if that makes any difference? And there was a lot of cropping down involved. Excuses, excuses I know ... but that is how it was. I think I will set out some fine day purposely to do this type of shot, and be better prepared [checking my settings before diving in would be a start]

• Advertisement

Exif was set to private on Pix, no idea why! it's public now, go nuts! :D

Reviewing what you said there ... I don't get it tbh. Are you saying I should look for situations on nicer flowers? As I think it's pretty clear in that particular shot. Butterfly seemed to think the flower was fresh enough to drink from! Are you arguing with nature?? :P

The flower the butterfly was on wasn't important to me anyway. Especially off-the-cuff. And the main focus is on the butterfly's head/sucker. I think that is clear enough, no? And I'd still like an explanation of why you think they're badly cropped/framed. otherwise criticism is rather pointless, how do you think I should have framed them? Not being smart, I do want the help, but I'm getting that C&C in here at times is more about the second C, without actual help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

hmnnnn...... eh, I am allowed sleep ya know :D

I'm in work now (i know bummer eh...) but I will revert later and see if I can elaborate some more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Reviewing what you said there ... I don't get it tbh. Are you saying I should look for situations on nicer flowers? As I think it's pretty clear in that particular shot. Butterfly seemed to think the flower was fresh enough to drink from! Are you arguing with nature?? :P
    The flower the butterfly was on wasn't important to me anyway. Especially off-the-cuff. And the main focus is on the butterfly's head/sucker. I think that is clear enough, no? And I'd still like an explanation of why you think they're badly cropped/framed. otherwise criticism is rather pointless, how do you think I should have framed them? Not being smart, I do want the help, but I'm getting that C&C in here at times is more about the second C, without actual help!

I think the differences between what we are seeing and what the butterfly saw are (A) The butterfly saw nutrition and not beauty (B) The butterfly was selective about which flower head it fed from. Shooting things on flowers can be a killer, as it is not until you see the final shot that you realise that some of the flower was not at it's best. Your "focus" was to shoot the butterfly, so that's what you are looking at, when you ask for C&C people don't know (unless you tell them) what part of the shot you were going for and so will look at the entire image. I do think you ran into the problem that I have hit many times with macro/close up, a very shallow depth of field and loss of sharpness, I actually think that front of the wing furtherest from the front of the shot is sharper that the head.

As for framing, well for me, I find the bud on the left of the shot in the first pic distracts from the main subject, where you going for rule of thirds composition? I think the angle you shot Pic 2 & 3 from was much better, but the shallow depth of field (and possible PP) screwed you on shot Pic 2, Pic 3 you got nobbled by the green top of the flower, which to me is not attractive, perhaps cropping it out would help.

hmnnnn...... eh, I am allowed sleep ya know :D

I'm in work now (i know bummer eh...) but I will revert later and see if I can elaborate some more.

I just want help! :D Not just criticism, that's all. Do appreciate the comments, but yours were like, 100% negative :(

I did say in the first post they're not true macro, I don't have any dedicated lens for that, just a normal zoom. I think if I'd managed to get over the fence I'd have gotten sharper shots as i wouldn't have been at 300mm without a tripod or VR. The ISO definitely didn't help, and I probably processed them a little quicker than usual. Something to work on though, I don't do little bugs that often :)

• Advertisement

dave66 wrote: »
    I think the differences between what we are seeing and what the butterfly saw are (A) The butterfly saw nutrition and not beauty (B) The butterfly was selective about which flower head it fed from. Shooting things on flowers can be a killer, as it is not until you see the final shot that you realise that some of the flower was not at it's best. Your "focus" was to shoot the butterfly, so that's what you are looking at, when you ask for C&C people don't know (unless you tell them) what part of the shot you were going for and so will look at the entire image. I do think you ran into the problem that I have hit many times with macro/close up, a very shallow depth of field and loss of sharpness, I actually think that front of the wing furtherest from the front of the shot is sharper that the head.

As for framing, well for me, I find the bud on the left of the shot in the first pic distracts from the main subject, where you going for rule of thirds composition? I think the angle you shot Pic 2 & 3 from was much better, but the shallow depth of field (and possible PP) screwed you on shot Pic 2, Pic 3 you got nobbled by the green top of the flower, which to me is not attractive, perhaps cropping it out would help.

Rule of thirds came in a little, but I wasn't being strict on it. I left the bud in the first one ... um, I don't know why actually, admittedly. The original shot was vertical, the butterfly was actually facing downward. I rotated because I thought it looked better, otherwise you'd end up tilting your head to look at him/her.

I can re-frame them as these are pretty heavily cropped down, I'm just not sure going on C&C the best way to do it. I did exclude random buds and bits of stray flower. I wanted to get in as tight on the butterfly as poss but keep in some colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I just want help! :D Not just criticism, that's all. Do appreciate the comments, but yours were like, 100% negative :(

So you're just looking for confirmation that your pictures are great? In fairness to AnCathDubh most other people don't give such detailed C&C. It was a long detailed reply stating what he thought of the images and why. He gave you exactly what you were looking for but you're complaining because it wasn't positive.

I understand why you're delighted with the photos you got. They aren't from a macro and they are with a new camera. They aren't bad but they aren't fantastic either. You need to be able to take the good with the bad. If someone gives you some negative feedback with reasoning behind it just suck it up and learn from it.

So you're just looking for confirmation that your pictures are great? In fairness to AnCathDubh most other people don't give such detailed C&C. It was a long detailed reply stating what he thought of the images and why. He gave you exactly what you were looking for but you're complaining because it wasn't positive.

I understand why you're delighted with the photos you got. They aren't from a macro and they are with a new camera. They aren't bad but they aren't fantastic either. You need to be able to take the good with the bad. If someone gives you some negative feedback with reasoning behind it just suck it up and learn from it.

Eh, no, did I not just say I'm looking for help? I was waiting for the usual someone to say that ... sigh. If I thought they were brilliant I'd whore them all over the shop and wouldn't ask for advice or C&C in here. I rarely ask for C&C, because I rarely feel the need, I only do it on stuff I am NOT sure about, thanks.

What i didn't want was 100% negative, as I have eyes and can see they're not that bad ...

Did you come in to offer advice? or have a moan?

AcD can give good advice at times, but he's not always right. His C&C here was completely negative and I didn't feel very helpful. Lengthy C&C can sometimes = long winded and unhelpful, I don't care who it is giving it. I don't brown nose or auto think such a member is always spot on.

Now, help? tips? advice? No? You that was offering to teach people recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

If ACD edits his post to add something nice at the start and the end, will you pay attention to the stuff in the middle then?! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

What i didn't want was 100% negative, as I have eyes and can see they're not that bad ...

Then don't ask for C&C. You never know what you might get, but you're going to have to appreciate the opinion you receive.

Eh, no, did I not just say I'm looking for help? I was waiting for the usual someone to say that ... sigh. If I thought they were brilliant I'd whore them all over the shop and wouldn't ask for advice or C&C in here. I rarely ask for C&C, because I rarely feel the need, I only do it on stuff I am NOT sure about, thanks.

Grand, so you got some feedback that wasn't positive and you complained about it. It was constructive negative criticism- that exists too.
    Did you come in to offer advice? or have a moan?

I offered some insight into another posters C&C.
    AcD can give good advice at times, but he's not always right. His C&C here was completely negative and I didn't feel very helpful. Lengthy C&C can sometimes = long winded and unhelpful, I don't care who it is giving it. I don't brown nose or auto think such a member is always spot on.

Absolutely, no-one is spot on 100% of the time. His C&C was negative but it was constructively negative. Would you prefer he said it was briliant and that you needed to learn nothing? Good advice can be negative too.
    What about the brown nosing? I can't say I've ever engaged in that. Why mention it? I'm not sure what place it has in your reply to me.
    Now, help? tips? advice? No? You that was offering to teach people recently.

Well I could give it but you don't seem to respond well to negative criticism.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Then don't ask for C&C. You never know what you might get, but you're going to have to appreciate the opinion you receive.

C&C usually involves ... helpful advice. Do you have any? Seriously, same people say the same things here all the time without actually giving input.

You don't even seem to read posts, just throw in a mini rant. I stated in the first response that I DO appreciate it, but 100% negative, is simply just that ... Good advice offers helpful suggestions too no?

Here is the original of the first shot -

http://img835.imageshack.us/i/dsc0286y.jpg/

This one wasn't as heavily cropped as I thought, some of the others were though. If someone would like to show me better way to frame it and/or process it. Thanks.

And Kintaro, you're still putting all your effort into not helping ... Don't assume you know what I'm thinking please. As you're well wrong and just cluttering up the thread. I've no problem if anyone doesn't like the images, or points out the negatives, just offer some helpful suggestions while at it maybe. You must be having a really boring morning. I certainly wouldn't be taking you up on your offer for help if you simply can't offer it only continue to point out negatives and back other opinions up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

QUOTE]

If that were my pictures, i would have been *delighted* with that C&C, it's constructive, helpfull and elaborate. It explains exactly what, where, when and how, with advice and details on where *he* thought it could improve.

His comments are *not* negative at all, if anything, the opposite.

Sorry to say it and bud into this thread but you're going off the rails here Cagey.

I've re-read Tommy's C&C and just don't see where the help is, sorry. I mean,. pointing out that the flowers are not the freshest? Pointing out that it's not very detailed or sharp macro ... when they're not true macro shots at all? Saying they're badly framed but offering no real reason why? Just being realistic here. I probably should have said I wanted help with them in post # 1

The useless comments after from the usuals are only stirring ... I see no reason other for them to comment.

Anyway, anyone want to have a pop at the original image above? I'm open to anything you do with it that makes it better :) Honest.

• Advertisement

And Kintaro, you're still putting all your effort into not helping ... Don't assume you know what I'm thinking please. As you're well wrong and just cluttering up the thread. I've no problem if anyone doesn't like the images, or points out the negatives, just offer some helpful suggestions while at it maybe. You must be having a really boring morning. I certainly wouldn't be taking you up on your offer for help if you simply can't offer it only continue to point out negatives and back other opinions up.

I thought I was helpful actually by pointing out that ACD's reply was actually quite helpful. Look I'm not having a go at you but you do seem to be quite blinkered in your outlook on things. You don't quite seem to understand that people can have different viewpoints to your own.

You posted looking for C&C. A poster gave you a lenghty reply detailing what wasn't great in relation to your images. You should be able to look at that reply and learn from it. Use that advice to improve your images for the next time.
    In my own obscure way I am actually giving you advice by trying to open your eyes to the advice that another forum member was giving you.

Your last few comments directed at myself are just petty. You've been offered advice but seem unwilling to take it so I shalln't say anymore.

I don't think it's petty at all, since you advertise youself for help yet haven't actually given any. You just continue to try back someone else's opinion up!? Give your own FFS! :D

Please point out the 'help' in Acd's C&C? Because I'm not feeling it , just being honest. Are we just auto-supposed to take negatives in because of who says it?

Are we supposed to just shut it when someone gives an opinion? Doesn't seem right. I did ask for C&C, yes ... I assumed people would give it and offer help and point out where I went wrong. not just ... wrong, wrong, wrong, bad, terrible ... I wonder if I'd posted them under a different name ... ? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Okay I see. Good, rereading the thing. That usually helps on forum. I read posts 2 or 3 times before replying (if a "heated" debate).

Here's ACD post again. In short in reads the following (highlighted in ACD's bit):
    1) Lack of sharpness i.e. butterfly is sharp in the wrong places.
    2) Background takes away from image and is distracting.
    3) Composition is not ideal.

These issues are within your control to modify in-camera on a next photographing butterfly session, and some of them can be changed in PP by cropping, sharpening and cloning out some of the background.

Other issues took away the full potential of the image are OUT of your control but can be kept in mind for the future:

For instance, Flower not the best looking. So, next time, keep that in mind and see if you can get the butterfly perhaps somewhere else (patience is a virtue and all that jazz).

If you take of all that together, it's a perfectly valid comment from a C&C point of view.

Hope this helped a little bit in trying to show you what I meant by being delighted to get that reply from ACD?

:D

The flower thing, well, that wasn't within my control. the butterfly didn't seem to want to move away from it, not even when the bee landed. I didn't have much time either, and I didn't set out to capture any wildlife, it's not what i usually go for. I suppose that's why i asked for C&C, as this type of thing is a bit alien to me, bar the odd fly on a flower shot. Framing is one of the areas that I need help with. None was actually offered, that's all I'm saying. The sharpness, yeah, i get that. Could be so much better. But the flower? looks alright to me, but then I know nothing about flowers :D

How should I frame it? I didn't want the butterfly dead central.

I hope ACD doesn't mind me quoting here but what I want to try and do is translate what you see as negative comments into what you would see as advice.

When you're shooting stuff like this it's easy to get all excited and not pay attention to the details. Your eyes and brain automatically work together to filter out the stuff you don't want to see, but when you present an image in 2d, that stuff gets equal attention to the main subject, and it can 'confuse' the viewer. That's why we use tricks like shallow depth of field - where the eye is drawn to the sharp bits, or saturation/colour/contrast - where the eye is drawn to an area that is more colourful or contrasty than the rest. So the flower that's looking a bit sad is getting more attention than it should, and it's up to you as the photographer to change that using one of those tricks to draw attention away, or wait until the butterfly is on a nicer flower!

Does this one need translating? The advice here would be: careful with processing because it can kill sharpness.

You've got two subjects in the frame - the butterfly, and the bud. And there's lots of space to the right of the butterfly, and none to the left of the bud, and you can't see the stem below the bud, so it's coming in to the side of the frame and looks like it's floating. The moral of the story here: be mindful of negative space, and balance in yoru composition, and the way that we visually respond to stuff on the edge of the frame particularly and consider including the whole thing or none at all, or crop at a more comfortable place. It's difficult to put that one in words without setting out 'rules' and that leaves a bad taste in my mouth :/

When you've got two subjects and seriously shallow depth of field, they either have to be on the same plane of focus and equally sharp or have a clear relationship defined through the use of selective focus, so we don't get confused when looking at them. Increase your depth of field to get them both, or change your angle to make one draw more attention than the other.

If it were me (and I regularly have to do this) I'd ask myself what it is that I want to capture.

That's helpful advice if ever i saw it... I have no more to add to that.

I really hope you might see the actual advice in there rather than thinking of it as just pulling the pictures apart. And nobody said you had to agree, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Are we supposed to just shut it when someone gives an opinion? Doesn't seem right. I did ask for C&C, yes ... I assumed people would give it and offer help and point out where I went wrong. not just ... wrong, wrong, wrong, bad, terrible ... I wonder if I'd posted them under a different name ... ? :P

I really don't think you are being entirely fair here. I tried as best I could to point out what I thought could be done to improve the shots and I believe that ACD did the same but he took a lot more time and went into more detail, it should be appreciated that he took that amount of time. I genuinely do not think he was 100% negative and he did point out things that could be addressed (as sNarah highlighted) to improve things. Even to the extent of distinguishing what is in your control and what is not in your control.

Flowers, to me are inherently difficult to shot, I know you were shooting the butterfly but the flower was part of the image. I have several times been about to hit the shutter when I realised that when taken in isolation (in a photo) that the flower was just not going to look good.

Here is a shot of mine, which I like BUT I know because of flare (which I kinda hid by reducing brightness) and in particular damage to the petal (which I didn't notice at the time of the shoot), just does not cut the mustard. I have a friend who loves daffodils and asked for a print of it, I didn't want to do it for her as I knew the shot was not up to scratch but she wasn't looking at it in the way I was.

2767079835_ccb29238b1_m.jpg

The thing is, when you offer something for C&C, you do need to remember that people will not always see things the way you do, a shot you love could be disliked by others and vice-versa. I recently posted a photo of a horse shaking it's head at me, the focus was not great but I liked it, technically it was a sh*te shot, I knew that but I liked it.

Try remember, people are not critiquing you, they are, as requested offering C&C on the image, the image not you.

So you're just looking for confirmation that your pictures are great? In fairness to AnCathDubh most other people don't give such detailed C&C.

Agreed, AnCatDubh is by far and away the best person here for in depth C&C.

dave66 wrote: »
    I really don't think you are being entirely fair here. I tried as best I could to point out what I thought could be done to improve the shots and I believe that ACD did the same but he took a lot more time and went into more detail, it should be appreciated that he took that amount of time. I genuinely do not think he was 100% negative and he did point out things that could be addressed (as sNarah highlighted) to improve things. Even to the extent of distinguishing what is in your control and what is not in your control.

Flowers, to me are inherently difficult to shot, I know you were shooting the butterfly but the flower was part of the image. I have several times been about to hit the shutter when I realised that when taken in isolation (in a photo) that the flower was just not going to look good.

Here is a shot of mine, which I like BUT I know because of flare (which I kinda hid by reducing brightness) and in particular damage to the petal (which I didn't notice at the time of the shoot), just does not cut the mustard. I have a friend who loves daffodils and asked for a print of it, I didn't want to do it for her as I knew the shot was not up to scratch but she wasn't looking at it in the way I was.

2767079835_ccb29238b1_m.jpg

The thing is, when you offer something for C&C, you do need to remember that people will not always see things the way you do, a shot you love could be disliked by others and vice-versa. I recently posted a photo of a horse shaking it's head at me, the focus was not great but I liked it, technically it was a sh*te shot, I knew that but I liked it.

Try remember, people are not critiquing you, they are, as requested offering C&C on the image, the image not you.

Sorry, none of what I said referred top your C&C, which I did find more helpful.

Now, can we stop whoring Acd, he's big enough to speak for himself, and maybe actually offer me some help on the images? That is what the thread is for, someone can create a We-love-AcD thread any time if they like :D

Dave, I do not love my images ... I only took them yesterday, I like them, but can see they need vast improvement. I really don't get where people think I'm just looking for positives.

Animal rights, was there a point to that post? We get it, AcD gives good advice 'most times' - this thread isn't here to big him up though. It's getting cringey ...

What about this one? Someone seems to like it on Pix [and I rarely get many comments on there]

I forgot to include it in the first post:

21A13F1815044599A7F557CD06F29277-800.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Now, can we stop whoring Acd, he's big enough to speak for himself, and maybe actually offer me some help on the images?
    if i was him, i'd leave this thread well alone. he's contributed more than would be reasonably expected.

Not IMO ... more big upping with no help.

I remember why i don't ask for C&C in here now.

I've gotten very little advice far as I'm concerned, and now it's turned into a brown-nose ACD thread because I said I didn't find much help in his C&C, Jesus H Christ ... do any of you think for yourselves?

Not IMO ... more big upping with no help.

I remember why i don't ask for C&C in here now.

I've gotten very little advice far as I'm concerned, and now it's turned into a brown-nose ACD thread because I said I didn't find much help in his C&C, Jesus H Christ ... do any of you think for yourselves?

Should I even have bothered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

In the most recent photo the top half of the butterfly's body, head and antenna are all out of focus.

In relation to the composition I find that there's a lot of excess green around the top and right. Personally I would crop it to square to improve the composition and dead space (helpful?).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if i asked for C&C on a shot, i would be disappointed if it was more positive than negative; because if i'm seeking C&C, it would be for a shot i'm not perfectly happy with myself, and i'd want advice on where i went wrong or how i could improve.
    so positive feedback, while not unwelcome, is not the goal of asking for C&C (as i understand it).

and now it's turned into a brown-nose ACD thread because I said I didn't find much help in his C&C, Jesus H Christ ... do any of you think for yourselves?
    I'll let you know when I speak to him. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Helpful C&C:

I really like the general composition, the background works very well, there is a good balance between the purple and the green, and the hint of purple in the leaves ties the two halves together well. I particularly like the fact that the blooms bottom left are in focus. That's the good bit.

The fact that the butterfly's head/antennae is out of focus hurts my eyes. If I were looking at this in real life, I'd expect the head to be in focus, and unless there's an editorial or artistic reason to have it out of focus that I'm not aware of, I don't think it works. One or two stops down would probably give you enough DOF to get the buddleia and the whole butterfly in focus, whilst still throwing the background into that pleasant green blur.

My 2c, I hope you find it helpful.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    In the most recent photo the top half of the butterfly's body, head and antenna are all out of focus.

In relation to the composition I find that there's a lot of excess green around the top and right. Personally I would crop it to square to improve the composition and dead space (helpful?).

cheers. Now that's helpful.

Tighter cropping? and lose some of the green, cheers.

Elven, what did you offer only more back up of ACDs C&C? could you not just have offered your own? Why do people constantly jump to his defence and rave on his C&C? I have nothing against ACD and I've seen him give better advice, which is why I expected more help from him maybe than mere criticism.

I'll let you know when I speak to him. :pac:

Jesus or ACD? :D

Magic: I too like to hear where I go wrong, so long as the person pointing it out makes suggestions as to how to imporve it, rather than just pointing out the bad and leaving it at that. Don't see what people can't get about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I'd say the biggest issue is with the out of focis bits... then the crop.

Suggested crop.

4837708488_c29d873eee_m.jpg

dakar wrote: »
    Helpful C&C:

I really like the general composition, the background works very well, there is a good balance between the purple and the green, and the hint of purple in the leaves ties the two halves together well. I particularly like the fact that the blooms bottom left are in focus. That's the good bit.

The fact that the butterfly's head/antennae is out of focus hurts my eyes. If I were looking at this in real life, I'd expect the head to be in focus, and unless there's an editorial or artistic reason to have it out of focus that I'm not aware of, I don't think it works. One or two stops down would probably give you enough DOF to get the buddleia and the whole butterfly in focus, whilst still throwing the background into that pleasant green blur.

My 2c, I hope you find it helpful.

No, it was just bad focusing on my part - I wish I'd gotten the head more in focus. that is something I need to work on for sure. I think these were at f/9 - but it was bright, i probably should have went f/14 or so? If I'd noticed the bloody ISO being up so high I certainly could have stepped down a lot more.

Thanks for advice. I will be trying something similar soon.

• Advertisement

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I'd say the biggest issue is with the out of focis bits... then the crop.

Suggested crop.

4837708488_c29d873eee_m.jpg

Too much of the green in original? I did think that alright. I can be a lazy cropper at times.

Is this one ok sharpness-wise?

Elven, what did you offer only more back up of ACDs C&C? could you not just have offered your own? Why do people constantly jump to his defence and rave on his C&C? I have nothing against ACD and I've seen him give better advice, which is why I expected more help from him maybe than mere criticism.

I wasn't backing him up, i was explaining why what you thought were simply negative comments were actually advice. I do agree with most of it, so if i were to take the time to write out my own, it would have been pretty similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

mere criticism

Since you jumped to an online dictionary for something recently:

'Criticism: The practice of analyzing, classifying, interpreting, or evaluating literary or other artistic works.'

It says nothing about negatitivity or positivity, and when someone spends considerable time offering you advice, I think dismissing it as 'mere' criticism is unfair.

Good criticism usually involves some helpful suggestion. I never stamped all over ACDs comments, I asked him to clarify - I didn't ask the whole forum .... I really don't get why people are rushing to his rescue on it, not that he needs rescuing from anything, you know what i mean? offer up some fresh adice/criticism instead of just whoring someone elses.

Now that I'm back in the office I can give you some C&C. I wasn't able to do this earlier as I couldn't give it as much attention as it needs. There were simply too much going on. I did of cousre find the time to say that some of the advice you were given was rather good as that just takes a few seconds. Now I hope you don't find any brown nosing in the post below.

Within the first image you're missing part of the plant on the left hand side. It messes with the astethics of the image. Also the bottom parts of the flower are very blown out and I'm not sure if it's me but there appears to be some chromatic aberration? I know it can't be helped but the butterfly could be sharper.
    Overall the composition could be better and the buttefly could be sharper.

In the second image the butterfly appears to be completely out of focus and the flower isn't sharp at all, again it appears very blown out. Composition is much better though.

On the third image the butterfly appears lost in the complexity of the flower, it's just way too distracting. The green background is very distracting and again the butterfly isn't as sharp as it should be.

In regards to the last image it's either one or the other. The butterfly is completely out of focus while the bee is fine. Again the flower is way to blown out which is distracting.

So overall what would I say. Your intentions are good but the equipment is letting you down. A zoom lens isn't really going to cut the mustard when it comes to taking macro photos. I know you've only just bought a new camera (who could've missed that) but I think you're far better off trawling the likes of eBay for an old manual focus macro lens. They can be got for peatnuts and will give you much better results than the Tamron. You'll also most likely find it easier to use.

Your composition does need some improving but it's not too shabby in some of your photos. Take some time though and look at other people's macro photos on Flickr. A macro photo should be tack sharp which unfortunately yours aren't. While bright colours suit macro photos they aren't working within the photos you've posted here as they look too artificial and blown out in most cases.

Thanks :) I would love a true macro lens, can't afford one at the moment but I will give ebay a try. I would consider these close up wild-life rather than macro though. I could probably get away with more of a crop down on the first one. Looking at the original it wasn't cropped as much as I initially thought. I could lose the bud easily and the bottom end of the lilac[?]

The reason I had a pop at others was because I merely asked ACD himself to clarify, and offer help. that was a me to him thing, not me to the forum which it turned out. I'd just rather others kept the C&C going instead of stalling the thread backing someone else's opinion up so much!

I think people forget I'm pretty much a n00b to photography, and when I ask for advice i take it in. I knew these images were off, hence posting them. if I thought they were great I'd not have needed to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

As a moderator on another photography forum, one of our rules is people are NOT allowed to critque the critque.

This thread is a perfect example of why.

i dont think anything comes from critquing the critque, only arguments.

I think if someone offeres critque that you either dont agree with or would like some kind of clarification, those two people should do that outside of the public forum.

there are pages and pages to this thread that really really dont need to exsist

stcstc wrote: »
    As a moderator on another photography forum, one of our rules is people are NOT allowed to critque the critque.

This thread is a perfect example of why.

i dont think anything comes from critquing the critque, only arguments.

I think if someone offeres critque that you either dont agree with or would like some kind of clarification, those two people should do that outside of the public forum.

there are pages and pages to this thread that really really dont need to exsist

Believe it or not, I've moderated elsewhere before. And I've never seen such a rule.

What happened here is I asked for clarification and help after a 'critique' and then many others critiqued my critique of the critique. if you read it all you'd see this. Now you're critiquing my critique of a critique too ... hypocritical? Where is your C&C?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

nooooooo

read what i said again

I was mearly offering an opinion on why this doesnt work..

I havent yet critqued anything

my fourth sentance was an a way to deal with exactly what you are talking about

I actually wasnt directing at anyone either, you mis interpeted my intentions, this happens all the time on a forum as you cant read peoples body language. this is a good reason to have the rule i discussed.

Oh right sorry about that, just gotten used to being attacked in this thread for simply asking for more light on bad critique :D

Oh well, I've gotten some tips and advice. Just to point out and clarify, i was not disagreeing with ACD, I was just asking for advice to back up his C&C, nothing malicious in it whatsoever. I'd respect his advice if he gives it for sure. I've not seen much of his work admittedly, but I did love his Guinness shots, nice and sharp with lovely DOF - some tips from those could work on these shots.

I just thought it was more pointing out the bad than suggesting where to improve.

• Advertisement
Advertisement