Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camping, Keem bay

Options
  • 27-07-2010 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hello,

I am looking for information and people's experience of camping on Keem bay on Achill island. I visited there last year and would love to spend a night camping there with a couple of friends this bank holiday weekend. We're all environmentally responsible. I wanted to know:

Is it frowned upon/ legal to pitch a tent there?
    is it okay to get a small fire going?
    Are there many others there on summer saturday night and who do they tend to be?

I dont want to upset anyone, want to give friends a nice time and don't want to be in earshot of noisy teenagers etc.

please move to camping forum if this is more appropriate

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You can't camp there. Might be a chance if you go privately to the resident in the building that was the Amethyst hotel. Nearest campsite is down the hill at Keel.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Beaucoupfish

thanks for your reply, thats a real shame. Is that 1960's looking building there? So I'm guessing if i pitched a tent, we'd be told to F off our private property. Can't let that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

thanks for your reply, thats a real shame. Is that 1960's looking building there? So I'm guessing if i pitched a tent, we'd be told to F off our private property. Can't let that happen.

Yep. I thought it was deserted. But I saw smoke when I was there a couple of weeks ago.Semed to be from a domestic fire/range.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It will be wedged down there bank holiday weekend anyway. No-one lives up in Keem. you can camp there if you respect the area etc, know plenty who have. Few people I know had a whole scout group down there a couple of months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

The building used to belong to Michael O'Connor an Engineer in Dublin.

Lovely bay - but don't swim past the headland as there may be a strong current there. Be careful of the road down.

Any basking sharks there are harmless - they only eat plankton.

• Advertisement
Advertisement