Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence change over for private transaction

Options
  • 27-07-2010 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi

I am buying a shotgun privately from a friend for clay shooting and am planning on making application in the next week.

First problem encountered is, finding a dealer who will hold the gun while I await my licence! (most are not interested due to excess stock etc)

As the gun is currently licenced is it possible for me to apply for a licence while it is still currently licenced to my friend?

What are my options?

Regards and thanks for any help!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Is your friend changing his license to another shotgun or cancelling the license altogether?

If he is transfering the license simply have the dealer he is buying from store the firearm as part of his deal until your license comes through. If the dealer is worth his salt he will do this to ensure he keeps the sale from your mate.

If your mate is canceling his license then he can hold onto the firearm until your license comes through. The timimg will be a B***h. After he cancels his license he can no lonbger keep the firearm. So best option would be to wait until your receipt letter comes. Have your friend submit his FCA2 to cancel the license. Then when your grant letter comes through wait for a week and pay. In other words if a dealer is not an option you may work out the time frame between the two of you so your license is live as his is cancelled.

Hope some of that comes across as sensible.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nail

Yeah makes sense thanks.

Its a case of my friend cancelling his licence, so no dealer is involved.

Last time (about a year ago) I bought privately, the local station would not accept my FCA1 until the previous owner had submitted his FCA2 and the gun was handed into a dealer while I awaited decision.

Is that right or normal procedure! or can I push the issue for them to accept my FCA1 while currant owner continues to hold and use his licensed gun?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

nail wrote: »
    Yeah makes sense thanks.

Its a case of my friend cancelling his licence, so no dealer is involved.

Last time (about a year ago) I bought privately, the local station would not accept my FCA1 until the previous owner had submitted his FCA2 and the gun was handed into a dealer while I awaited decision.

Is that right or normal procedure! or can I push the issue for them to accept my FCA1 while currant owner continues to hold and use his licensed gun?

Thanks
    It's perfectly OK for your friend to keep his license whilst you apply for yours. There is even a provision for two people to be licensed on the same firearm so there's no need to involve a dealer.

Your friend must have a valid current license obviously, but as soon as you get yours, he can cancel his.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

When i bought my .223 i traded a shotgun for it. The dealer took in the shotgun and it sold 2 days later. The lad that applied for his license (on my shotgun) done so as a substitution. It came through about the same time as my substitution. (i transfered mine to my Fathers gun). The local FO in the lads district rang me asking me why he was applying for a license on my shotgun when i was already licensed on it. As he had put down for the license and not a second license on the gun the system would not allow the FO to process his substitution. I told her (FO) that i had recieved my subtitution a week before and under the new legislation an old license expires 2 weeks after the issuing of a substitution license. A week later she rang me back to say my old license was now off the system and the lad that bought the gun had been issued his license.

Moral of this very long story. You could apply for a license as a second license holder on the same shotgun. Its is not a temp license, half license or anything short of a full license. So this allows both of you to hold licenses for the shotgun. Then you mate could simply cancel his leaving you as the sole license holder on the shotgun. No dealer involved. Not 100% sure about the exact legalities of this, as in will they allow it to be done, as opposed to is it legal. The process i just described is perfectly legal, but your FO might kick up a stink about you licensing the shotgun this way.

I suppose the best advice is to go in to the FO and explain that no dealer will accept the firearm to store until you are licensed and your friends is cancelled. You now have a few options so my best advice is to go with the one that best suits you.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement