Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No broadband to rural areas until 2012.

Options
  • 27-07-2010 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/broadband-wont-reach-rural-areas-until-2012-2273305.html
    RURAL homeowners will have to wait until 2012 for fast broadband access to be rolled out across the country.

A rural broadband scheme will be launched later this year on top of the €220m National Broadband Scheme, as part of the Government's capital investment review.

Broadband levels in Ireland are currently amongst the lowest in western Europe.

Ireland was one of three countries out of 20 with broadband penetration of 25pc or less in a recent international survey.

Rural Ireland fares the worst because the technology necessary to provide broadband needs to be upgraded.

Despite the timeline, news of the scheme was welcomed yesterday as a boost to Government plans to sell Ireland as a smart economy.

"Essentially, this is about directing funds to where maximum return is provided for Ireland," said John Power, director general of Engineers Ireland.

Other developments include the provision of fast broadband to all second-level schools.

Just 78 of 4,000 schools (2pc) currently have high-speed broadband, according to figures from the Department of Education.

In what bizarro universe is this news to be "welcomed" ?!?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This is the twaddle expected in smart green Ireland where the future remains as ever in the future.

Ryan and his government only spent €39m on the NBS but Ryan always promised €220m and nobody BUT Ryan ever quoted that specific figure of €220m ....which is how I know the smart green spindoctors specifically released this twaddle.

Even Ryan was ashamed to append his name to this version of the press release, I am perplexed at how John Power, Director of Engineers Ireland allowed his name to be atteched to this release though.

Either he was caught on the hop by Ailish O'Hora or he is looking for energy money off Ryan. The last time I remember him commenting was on the Taoiseachs 'Innovation Taskforce' thingy. He then said

"Maths education should be a top priority if the 117,000 jobs by 2014 outlined in the Innovation Taskforce report are to be realistic, according to John Power, director General of Engineers Ireland."

Right there John. But "Bizarro" ....quite!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭rob808

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    This is the twaddle expected in smart green Ireland where the future remains as ever in the future.

Ryan and his government only spent ?39m on the NBS but Ryan always promised ?220m and nobody BUT Ryan ever quoted that specific figure of ?220m ....which is how I know the smart green spindoctors specifically released this twaddle.

Even Ryan was ashamed to append his name to this version of the press release, I am perplexed at how John Power, Director of Engineers Ireland allowed his name to be atteched to this release though.

Either he was caught on the hop by Ailish O'Hora or he is looking for energy money off Ryan. The last time I remember him commenting was on the Taoiseachs 'Innovation Taskforce' thingy. He then said

"Maths education should be a top priority if the 117,000 jobs by 2014 outlined in the Innovation Taskforce report are to be realistic, according to John Power, director General of Engineers Ireland."

Right there John. But "Bizarro" ....quite!
    It lucky the Next general election take please in 2012 so if fianna fail fails we can get rid of them and the failure that is the Green party.I can't believe in that 39 billion broadband wasn't in it smart economy haha that a good one fianna fail .We see if fianna fail our leader again doh they probably will darned.

Advertisement