Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voice engineering

Options
  • 28-07-2010 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi Guys,

Im being specific to Cisco here, but what do you make of voice engineer as a career? There seem to be little jobs around which focus entirely on this aspect of networks, although they are there...

I have gained a little experience around cisco call manager and switches etc and I am considering trying to get certified CCVP so I can pursue this as a career.

How would you guys compare this to just going the data route for a CCNP and trying to get a job that way?

Would love to hear some thoughts on this one guys, thanks...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

It's true that there aren't a lot of jobs advertised on sites such as monster.ie but a CCVP is a huge plus in the VoIP / ToIP world. CCNP-qualified people will always have a gap in their ability (IMHO) to properly design, install and support a voice-based solution.

I interview about 4 people per month and while they all have a CCNA and the odd guy has a CCNP, none have a CCVP. We don't looks for certs but we require that everone can program a switch and debug a voice gateway and with a little luck have played with Cisco CallManager. These people, for whatever reason, are hard to find these days.

Advertisement