Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Games Programming course

• 28-07-2010 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey I'm going into 6th year next year and for the past year I've been looking at colleges that have gaming courses.
    From just looking up sites and that book thing(name eludes me as of right now) Carlow looks to be the best course or at least the course I most want to take. But basically I'm here for a persons actual opinion on Carlow as a college generally and if you can specifically information on the gaming course.

Thanks

M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

This might be of interest to you,
    its a bit on the software development course and
    a bit on games development

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055536252

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

DrZeuss wrote: »

I only read the first page but that Software Development. I graduated from the Games Degree last year.
    Is quite difficult. Lots of maths & physics.
    If you want a head start look at the C++ language. This book was what we used in first year. Might be an idea to pick it up and have a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I only read the first page but that Software Development. I graduated from the Games Degree last year.
    Is quite difficult. Lots of maths & physics.
    If you want a head start look at the C++ language. This book was what we used in first year. Might be an idea to pick it up and have a go.

Yeah first few pages on Software dev, then from bout page 3 on there is Games dev stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

I'm going into 2nd year this year. Make sure your certain its what you want cos its a competitive industry. Your in Ireland after all not Japan. Ive only 1st year done but its all entirely manageable IF you go into college at least 3/4 of the year. If you like programming this is the course for you as its all based from programming. If you want a head start get "c# for students" and have a look. The maths for 1st year is vectors, trig, matrices, transforms, complex numbers and Quaternions.

Hope this helps! Best of luck on the Cao :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Wolfbrand Morro

Yeah cool thats grand for me because Im a maths head and games programming is what I really want to do with my life.

Thats really assured me altogether and now I know what to really pay attention to as far as my current subject choices.

I really hope I get in now ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Don't worry about getting a headstart too much, they do start with the basics when you get in there and as long as you go to your classes you shouldn't have a problem. I graduated a year ago too and the thing i'd recommend is go to classes. Don't underestimate the need to go to class.

It is a bit intense but if you stick to the classes. you'll be fine!

RedXIV wrote: »
    Don't underestimate the need to go to class.

It is a bit intense but if you stick to the classes. you'll be fine!

As you know group of students in our second year decided that the lecturers were not doing a very good job and thus decided that they would get the notes and study from home coming up to the exams.

Do I need to spoil the ending for the rest of you and tell you how that went?

Hint: Half of the entire year failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Wolfbrand Morro

As you know group of students in our second year decided that the lecturers were not doing a very good job and thus decided that they would get the notes and study from home coming up to the exams.

Do I need to spoil the ending for the rest of you and tell you how that went?

Hint: Half of the entire year failed.

Isnt that normal for CIT? Like no disrespect I want to go there myself over anything but everyone says the fail rate is big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Probably because they underestimate the workload. I did. I passed by pure panic and stubborness.

I was one of many who after 1st year with pretty good marks decided it wouldn't matter if i missed class. skipped alot of 2nd year. Paid for it until i finished. don't skip class!!!!

Isnt that normal for CIT? Like no disrespect I want to go there myself over anything but everyone says the fail rate is big.

I blame Scraggs, though the foundry has it's share of the blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭IronWolf

I blame being introduced to Bleach & late night CS:S...

;)

Advertisement