Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emergency! Mayday!

• 28-07-2010 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

Okay, quick question for those of you with the know how: just now, my laptop made this really funny noise which seemed to have come from the fan, it was like the there was something caught on the fan. Now, the poor thing seems to have been working away double time since my boyfriend put a "legal" version of Windows 7 on it, it's really warm all the time but he heard that that's normal? I don't know, but this has me worried, my laptop shouldn't make a noise like something's fallen off!

Please advise? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

What are the sepcs of the laptop. How much RAM do you have ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Download this and let us know what the temps are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

IF ITS an older model laptop,it may be not powerful enough ,to run windows 7 ,effeciently.it may be designed for windows xp.SO the cpu may be running hot,which requires the fan going at high speed to cool it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Guys, thanks for the replies but please, questions must be asked in their simplest terms for I know nothing about these machines! Okay, so it's a Sony Vaio colour series one and it initially came with Windows Vista. The serial number is PCG-5K6M. It says I have 1GB of RAM, is that really low? Oh, I don't know :(

It is unlikely to be a low ram issue causing heat, Especially if it was ok with Vista.

Press the Ctrl + alt + delete key at the same time and hit start task manager.

Down the bottom of the window that opens will be some information

Process: __ CPU Usage: __ Physical Memory: __

What are they?

• Advertisement

Processes: 50. CPU usage 9%. Physical memory: 75%

is that good or bad?

Well, hard to tell really!

Process , not really too important. Seems fine

CPU @ 9%, too low to be causing heat problems

RAM @ 75%, Its high but very unlikely to be causing your problem, but if you do get the problem sorted you might want to look into getting more.

Ok lets take a step back:
    Okay, quick question for those of you with the know how: just now, my laptop made this really funny noise which seemed to have come from the fan, it was like the there was something caught on the fan.

Can you still hear that funny noise? Can you describe more what ti sounds like (clicking etc) When does the funny noise happen, as soon as you turn the computer on?
    Now, the poor thing seems to have been working away double time since my boyfriend put a "legal" version of Windows 7 on it, it's really warm all the time but he heard that that's normal?

Whats working double time, the fan?

Can you still hear that funny noise? Can you describe more what ti sounds like (clicking etc) When does the funny noise happen, as soon as you turn the computer on?
    It sounds like really loud static, if that makes sense? It just seems to happen randomly, the other day it happened one time when I was just reading notes for college and then later on when I was on Facebook, I wasn't even playing games on it or anything!
    Whats working double time, the fan?

I thought it was the fan, it sounds like a fan but I've been recently told by the OH that it's actually water cooled or something? :confused:

Sorry for being such a thick about this and thanks for the replies!

It sounds like really loud static, if that makes sense? It just seems to happen randomly, the other day it happened one time when I was just reading notes for college and then later on when I was on Facebook, I wasn't even playing games on it or anything!

Static, like from a radio that is not tuned in? Is your sound working on the laptop?

I thought it was the fan, it sounds like a fan but I've been recently told by the OH that it's actually water cooled or something? :confused:

Sorry for being such a thick about this and thanks for the replies!

Its not water cooled anyways, There is 3 things that make noise in computers:

Fans
    Disk Drive (make sure there is no discs in it)
    Hard drive (should be fairly quiet even when in use)

I tried to link to a program in an earlier post, but something went a bit wrong! Download this and install it. (Just keep pressing next or ok)

When its finished click on the icon on your desktop. A screen like this should appear (you might need to press ok on a tip that pops up or something)

attachment.php?attachmentid=121953&stc=1&d=1280400517

What are the values on the right for you? (Dont worry if they arent the same names as mine)

Advertisement