Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Festival - Day 3 Selections

• 28-07-2010 1:04am
    Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭

3:00 Galway - Ballyadam Brook - 1pt e/w @ 7/2 (Betfred)

Made all to win impressively last time out, only has had 6 spins over hurdles and has only been unplaced once which was on debut. This is tougher but he has a lot of ability, stays well and will like the ground. Open to plenty of improvement and if his win last time out is anything to go by he'll stay going up the hill without bother and will hopefully be able to run the field into submission on a track that favours front runners. Paul Townend takes the ride as he has on the last three occasions that this horse has raced and the form reads 2-1-1 with hopefully another "1" to be added to that tomorrow. He jumps soundly and the trainers horses have been in fine fettle this last couple of months. Townend doesn't often ride for the trainer but he has been placed 7 times from 10 attempts including those two wins aboard this horse. It's a trappy enough race to call but the Gordon Elliot horse, Final Day, is likely to be a short enough priced favourite but I don't think he's the best of jumpers and if he makes a couple of mistakes he may find it hard to keep with my selection. A lot of others can have claims made quite easily for them but even under a penalty I feel if Ballyadam Brook replicates his run from last time out he stands a great chance and should place at least, hoping for around 5/1 and all going well he looks an each way bet to nothing.

3:35 Galway - Waterloo Chateau - 1pt e/w @ 14/1 (VC)

Stunningly difficult race to call but this one has been in fine form of late since joining Noel Meade. Only has had 11 career starts and is 7 years old but won a decent Maiden Hurdle at Roscommon 3 weeks ago off top weight and ran well again last week in Ballinrobe when a 1 3/4 length second to Vivaldi. More improvement to come and his front running style is another plus with the way things have been going at Galway so far. Ground should be no problem and he should be fit and ready for this. Trained by Noel Meade and ridden by the excellent Paul Carberry and this partnership won this race last year with a horse of a similar profile to this one. He tends to jump left but hopefully they'll have that worked on and he'll stay all day so if he gets his jumping right I think he has good place claims although it's a really tough race to call so only a small each way bet for me at likely odds of around 12/1.

4:10 Galway - Duroob - 1pt @ 10/1 (Ladbrokes)

Found it awful tough to pick one in this race, just going for one that will stay the 3m and he's a sound jumper. The ground will be no bother to him and he has been in fine form since coming back in May, winning twice and placing twice from 5 attempts. Nearly 70 career appearances but still retains a lot of ability and although there's 20 runners in the field I think a good few can be ruled out due to the trip. Decent 5lb claim will help and will only be carrying 10st 13lbs, will be suited by a fast pace and he likes to be held up to run on late when the rest are tiring, should have a decent chance at around 7/1 and Timeform have him as their top pick also.

4:45 Galway - Endless Intrigue - 5pts @ 10/11 (PaddyPower)

Biggest bet of the festival for me so far, no doubt it'll be the one Weld horse that will not win but it has the best Bumper form including a 2nd placed finish in the Champion Bumper behind Cousin Vinny. He should be a step above these and with the form of Weld around here I'll be surprised to see him beaten. Robbie Mac on board and he's as capable a jockey as any, and is 2/3 at Galway so far this year and this is his only ride tomorrow. The ground will be no problem and the trip is sound, has the perfect mix of speed and stamina and I expect to see him win this tomorrow. Max bet for me and likely to be around 5/4 or Even money. Looks to have a great chance.

5:25 Galway - Majestic Concorde - 2pts @ 9/2 (Bet365)

Not even going to try solve this one, just backing the Weld horse with small/medium stakes. Looks to be lined up for this and ran well on the flat last time out when a close 4th in the Chester Cup in May. Weld says he has a good chance and I've no reason to doubt him. Davy Russell on board and he's as capable as any. Ground and trip should be no bother and he's a good jumper and looks well handicapped, Should go well hopefully.

Small stakes in the last three races, not doing any write up on them.

6:00 Galway - All In Clover - 1pt @ 8/1 (Bet365)
    6:35 Galway - Snap Alam - .5pts @ 8/1 (Bet365)
    7:10 Galway - Born To Excel - .5pts @ 10/1 (Ladbrokes)

Can't get any worse than yesterday can it? :(

Prices added in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

Just posted this in the Day 2 Forum, just gonna put it here for those that don't see it!

In recent years I have noticed that Welds influence tends to dwindle after the second day. Normally after trying (and failing) to back winners the first 2 days I'll start lumping on Weld come the 3rd/4th day but he doesn;t have half a many winners.

I think someone posted his stats the other day and it showed that his highest amount of winners was 9 in the week, he's already on 6 so be wary!

Will have a look at the race card later in the morning and post selections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

I'm out of proper betting this week but my cheeky patent of the day is:

Goodwood 14:10 : Gee Dee Nen 20/1
    Goodwood 15:25 : Beethoven 25/1
    Goodwood 16:00 : Issabella Gem 25/1

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

Where do you get welds tips from?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭macl

Galway Plate today

E/W bet worthwhile on Themoonandsixpence (8/1) and Deutschland (20/1)

Good luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭shaggykev

Galway Day 3 Preview

Its a busy day with Goodwood and Galway both on in the afternoon. I only really fancy one horse today at Galway and that is The Last Derby but be quick to get a price as Tom Segal of the racing post has gone and tipped it. I should note when himself and I are thinking the same thing, we're usually both wrong but the way this horse won back at Ascot(form subsequently upheld well) and won last time out over hurdles makes me think, he's the real deal and if with a more fashionable trainer would be favourite

3.00 Regal D'estruval
    3.35 Mr Bones
    4.10 Sunwake
    4.45Endless Intrigue
    5.25 The Last Derby
    6.00 Metal Madness
    6.35 Prince Jock
    7.10 Unaccompanied

A winner and an lucky second yesterday at Goodwood and today I fancy Canford
    Cliff to prove the real deal against Rip Van Winkle. I expect the money to come for O Brien's and we may get Evens on Canford Cliffs before the off. In the 2.10 Mark Johnston is quite bullish about Lady Eclair stating nothing can beat it, that's not like him to be that confident and who am I to disagree. Johnston has an excellent record at Goodwood and especially worth following in handicaps

Just to compound what I was saying earlier about Weld, he only had one winner on Wednesday last year... Precious Gem (5/4f in the last)!

He has a similar runner in the last today in Unaccompanied.

I'm not one for backing short prices on there own so will definitely will look for something to go with it!

Okay so gonna go with the following today:

PW Double and singles:
    Lady Eclair (11/2) 2.10 Goodwood
    The Last Derby (8/1) 5.25 Galway (all of the top RP tipsters fancy this today - will see how my early bets do and might go for this a little more)

Lucky 15:

Cnoc An Einn (14/1) 3.35 Galway
    Pozyc (4/1) 4.45 Galway
    Deutschland (18/1) 5.25 Galway
    Unaccompanied (5/4) 7.10 Galway

Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭twitch1984

Did 2 patents today went for horses with a bit of value as my bankroll for the week is getting a bit shabby,

€1 patent
    3:00 Galway Moi desire @ 10/1
    3:35 Galway King high @ 10/1
    4:10 Galway Your busy @ 8/1

€1 patent
    2:10 Goodwood Lady eclair @9/1
    2:45 Goodwood Waltz darling @10/1
    4:00 Goodwood Contract caterer @8/1

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭almat1981

Betting small today after yesterday

Did a patent and a lucky15 and a couple of singles

€2 e/w patent

Goodwood 14:10 Gee Dee Neh @ 16/1
    Goodwood 15:25 Beethoven @ 33/1
    Goodwood 16:00 Issabella Germ @ 25/1

€1 Weld Lucky 15

Galway 16:45 Endless intrigue @10/11
    Galway 17:25 majestic concorde @4/1
    Galway 18:00 rock critic @9/2
    Galway 19:00 unaccompained @6/4

(crap odds on all weld horse at the mo)

Also backed lady eclair @5/1 in the 14:10 @ goodwood and last derby in galway @ 17:25 €5e/w double and €5 on each as singles .Got that from the radio apperntly its a pw tip . All the others i got from various sourse's on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭HoPpiE

Where can I find a list of all the horses running throughout the festival?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

doubles and trebles for me on weld

endless intrigue
    majestic concorde
    unaccompanied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭deewhy

HoPpiE wrote: »
    Where can I find a list of all the horses running throughout the festival?

You can go to Irish_racing.com and look at the enteries over the next few days under the heading weights and enteries. You wont get declarations until the day before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Final Day for me in the first, only big bet of the day.

Dont you just love Galway - so easy to pick a winner! If the first two days were tough! Here is the hit and hopes for today:

15.00 Final Day 1pt win (f/cast with sandymount lady)
    15.35 Melon Delta .5pt e/w
    16.10 King of Redfield 2pt e/w
    16.45 Endless Intrigue 2 pt win
    17.25 Montero 2 pts e/w
    18.00 Peculiar Prince 1 pt e/w
    18.35 Yes Missus 3 pt win
    19.10 Barrow Island 1 pt e/w

Only one comment on Montero - I think he is hugely overpriced and with 5 places and Guaranteed Price, this for me is a value bet. Dessie Hughes has proved over the last number of years that he has what it takes to train the staying chasers. Same owner as Black Apalachi, I see this fellow as his natural successor in targeting Aintree in the future. He will love the good ground and was travelling really well when he fell in the Scottish National in April. Recent trips over hurdles and on the flat will ensure he is fit. Maybe not be good enough today but this looks a day for surprises:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just done a rather hopeful Canadian/Accu PLACE BET

GALWAY 3:00 NOVICES' HURDLE 2m
    Place Only 3 Places
    Final Day @ 1.33

GALWAY 3:35 HANDICAP HURDLE 2m 4f
    Place Only 4 Places
    Ikidunot @ 3.00

GALWAY 5:25 GALWAY PLATE (HANDICAP) 2m 6f
    Place Only 5 Places
    The Last Derby @ 2.50

GALWAY 4:10 HANDICAP HURDLE 3m
    Place Only 4 Places
    Fairwood Bob @ 2.75

GALWAY 6:00 HANDICAP (50-70) 1m 1/2f
    Place Only 4 Places
    Gracchus @ 2.50

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭oppiuy

E45 double on final day and rip van winkle.. finger toes legs crossed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:( Jaysus, im sorry lads cant continue betting today after that:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭OneForTheTeam

Hardluck Jonjo:(

Off to a good start x pryo:D

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭oppiuy

How did the race pan out. Was final day unlucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

oppiuy wrote: »
    How did the race pan out. Was final day unlucky

nope, was 6-7 lenghts behind the 2 leaders for most of the race,bally broke away before the last 2 fences,deserved the win.

False Evidence and Melon Delta here e/w

Backed King of Redfield and had exacta.... need stewarts to do me a favour!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

5/4 for Endless Intrigue now

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭retenzo12

no value in endless intrigue....casear song for me in my lucky 15!!! and a small punt on stigh collain

Will take a chance with the Sharks again here - has won on GF. Surely one of Welds can be turned over!!

deewhy wrote: »
    Will take a chance with the Sharks again here - has won on GF. Surely one of Welds can be turned over!!

Some chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭OneForTheTeam

x PyRo wrote: »
    4:45 Galway - Endless Intrigue - 5pts @ 10/11 (PaddyPower)

Thank god for that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭chebonaparte

im on

The Last Derby Galway 5.25

Mistic Magic Goodwood 5.45

Clerical Redcar 6.05

Barry Gerharty riding well again and always gets good race

just have gut feeling about Mistic Magic Dwyer pulls off alot big priced gambles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭dan de man

ive gone for bringbackthebiff 12/1 and the last derby 8/1 both e/w and the moonandsixpence win

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

i took bringbackthebiff after the market move

And then he get pulled up :P