Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Install

• 28-07-2010 2:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to install Vista Home Premium from a Vista ultimate disc if I have the legitimate Home Premium key?

I have a Home premium laptop with a dead hard drive but I only have the Ultimate media disc.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Is it possible to install Vista Home Premium from a Vista ultimate disc if I have the legitimate Home Premium key?

I have a Home premium laptop with a dead hard drive but I only have the Ultimate media disc.

-

Best I recall, the version installed is dependant on the key used, all discs should be the same otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

No the disks are different , you will need an ultimate key , or a home premium disk.

If you can get yourself a copy of windows 7 you would be better off....vista is very power hungry and 7 is basically XP with a few upgrades and a nicer graphical look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

No the disks are different , you will need an ultimate key , or a home premium disk.

If you can get yourself a copy of windows 7 you would be better off....vista is very power hungry and 7 is basically XP with a few upgrades and a nicer graphical look.

OEM discs have one version on them as far as I know (Dell ones, at least), but retail discs will have all versions. If you don't enter a key then it'll allow you to choose which version to install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Even though I couldn't read the main HDD, there was a recovery partition on it that was readable. As it was, the recovery partition was useless because there was damage on the main partition.

Solution:

I used Acronis to backup the recovery partition to an external.

Put a new laptop drive in to a USB dock & created two new partitions on it, one recovery and the other for the OS.

Fitted the new HDD to the laptop

Used Acronis to restore the recovery partition to the blank recovery partition on the new drive.

Used the recovery partition on the new drive to restore the original OS

Removed all the original bloat, installed security software & updated everything.

Used Acronis one more time to image the whole thing in case it's ever needed again.

All happy :)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement