Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dreadful BB speeds in Bray after midnight?

• 28-07-2010 3:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭

Is it just me? We have enviable line stats of 15db attenuation and 14db SNR and should get about 20mb when we upgrade to the 24mb package.

We got the letter about NGB a few weeks ago and assume Bray has switched over as we now sync at 8.1 mbits according to the router.

During the day the download speeds are as you would expect on an 8mbit connection. However, ever since NGB our download speed has gone to ****e come midnight. We are lucky to get the download speed of a 1mbit line.

With 1:1 contention this shouldn't happen and nor should it be likely to happen off peak after midnight and into the wee hours. Both combined?? Our connection should go full throttle 24:7!!

WTF is going on??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Actually just did a speedtest at 12:30pm there and I am barely getting over 1.5mbit. This is a joke. Has to be a backhaul problem because I am syncing at the max rate for the package I am on.

Is no one else in Bray experiencing this??

894693416.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Well, by the lack of a response I actually got my answer:D

If no one else seems to be having a problem, then maybe its my internal network. Sure enough it was. Although we have the new house wired with Cat5e, I haven't installed the network gear or connectors yet and we are relying on Homeplugs till I get around to getting the Cat5 network up and running. Seems the new Fuse board or the age of the homeplugs have finally caught up with us (they worked fine for years) and the homeplug bandidth has gotten so crap it isn't even enough to carry a broadband connection.

Connected a laptop via a patch cable directly to the router and ran a speed test and am getting the full 7mbit+. Also explains why the brother with that laptop was having no problem streaming content while the rest of us in the house with desktops on the homeplugs were pulling our hair out. He was connected to the router via wireless and getting a perfect signal at 54mbit which was more than enough for the 7mbit BB connection. Our feckin homplugs have gone so crap we were only getting about 1.5mbit of network bandwidth!! Hello 1982!! :D

Advertisement