Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A New Half Effort

• 28-07-2010 7:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭

This is my third thread here since February. I used these boards to monitor my attempts at running 5k and then 10k. I used the C25k to get me running 5k (I did a 5k race in UCD) and the Hal Higdon Novice 10k Program to help me complete the Dublin Women's Mini Marathon. I was happy and genuinely shocked when I completed both races without walking one step.

This time I'm aiming for the Half Marathon distance. There is a Half Marathon in Waterford in December so that will be my goal.

I'm just back from a three week holiday and I haven't run for four weeks so I'm pretty apprehensive going out for the first time. I'm going to try for a 20 min run to start off with but to be honest I'm not even sure I can do that :o

My plan is to follow the Hal Higdon 10 mile Novice Program at first. That will bring me up to the end of October and I'll work out what to do from there.

I've only run two races and these were my times:

5k: 31.30
    10k: 1.06.25

This week I'm just going to try and get some 2 mile runs in. The first week of the 10 mile program, which I'll start next Monday only requires 3 x 2mile runs. I'm going to try and incorporate swimming into my cross training for the first time as well. I use yoga as strength training. I don't know if I have time to do all this running and go to the gym and do weights as well. I love the way the yoga covers stretching also. I am a member of a gym though so I can bring them in later if I feel I'd like to.

So my plan for this week:

Today Wednesday:

I'm still completely jetlagged. I've been awake since 3am! I'm going to use this opportunity to try my first 20 min run in a month!

Thursday: Yoga (Swimming in the morning for 15-20 mins??)

Friday: 20 min run

Saturday: Body Balance class

Sunday: 25 - 30 min run

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Welcome back. Hope you enjoyed your holiday! Best of luck with the training log!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Hi Dolliemix, well done on all the progress so far. Don't worry about not running for a month, sometimes the legs will benefit from the break. Just ease yourself back in.

My a goal is also Waterford in December so ill be interested in your log, good luck, and we'll look great for Christmas ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Good luck with the new log, great name for it, looking forward to seeing what you get up to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Hi Dolliemix,

Best of luck with the new goals. Just take it easy and slowly on your first few runs back out there. Concentrating on time on your feet rather than distance is good.
    I assume your title refers to effort at Half marathon rather than making a half-effort:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

thanks for postings guys!

OI great that someone else has the same vision as me. It really helps knowing you're not alone!

UL good to see you still around and encouraging others!

Little bug good advice re taking it easy at first. I'm in no hurry. Lol the Half does refer to the Marathon of course :p

Tipsy thanks for your advice on the half marathon thread about easing back into it and your experience after your three week break. It really helped and got me back out there this morning!

Wednesday

Result: 25 min run

First day back after four weeks. Took advantage of insane jetlag and I headed out at 8am. Felt great. I stopped after 25mins thinking I could go for more but didn't want to risk overdoing it. However once I stopped I felt awful. Thought I was going to get sick! I'm fine now though. I reckon I'm probably a little dehydrated and way more tired than I'm feeling. I've probably only had around 8 hours sleep in the last 60 hours!

I feel absolutely brilliant now that I went out and did that. I really was dreading it. Morning time running is fantastic as well. It was nice and cool and I have it done now so I'll feel great for the day. I also way exceeded my expectations by running for 25 mins. Not sure what the distance was but it was definitely over 2 miles. Hopefully that will help tire me out so I will actually have a proper nights sleep tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Hi there,

Thanks for posting in my log, I've actually ditched that one now and gone back to my old one because I haven't achieved the stated goal in that one - a sub 1:40 half http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055547230&page=25

I haven't done Waterford but I believe it is a good course and reasonably flat. Its great value aswell at €20.00. I have signed up for the 10 miler and the half marathon in the park so they are just to get fit and guage where I am at the moment. Then I will be going all out to achieve my goal in Waterford. I should have 18 weeks to prepare for it. I think its a good idea to give yourself a good whack of time to get ready for your first half. I've been running since January 2009 so I dont have a huge amount of experience but I have done a good few races. I may not be the best for advice but I'm good for support so if you need anything at all just post or PM me. :)

OI wrote: »
    Hi there,

Thanks for posting in my log, I've actually ditched that one now and gone back to my old one because I haven't achieved the stated goal in that one - a sub 1:40 half http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055547230&page=25

I haven't done Waterford but I believe it is a good course and reasonably flat. Its great value aswell at €20.00. I have signed up for the 10 miler and the half marathon in the park so they are just to get fit and guage where I am at the moment. Then I will be going all out to achieve my goal in Waterford. I should have 18 weeks to prepare for it. I think its a good idea to give yourself a good whack of time to get ready for your first half. I've been running since January 2009 so I dont have a huge amount of experience but I have done a good few races. I may not be the best for advice but I'm good for support so if you need anything at all just post or PM me. :)

Thats sound of you. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Good luck with the new log and new goal, hope it goes well for you :)

Thursday

1 hour yoga.

Very good light yoga session which I needed because my legs are stiff from my first run back yesterday.

I also bought new kayanos, swimming togs and goggles.

Friday

Jog: 34 mins

I headed out for another 25 min run today. There was a Forest Gump within me that just wanted to keep going so I doubled back for a bit and ended up finishing on a 10 metre steep hill at 34 mins. Not sure of distance. Id hazard a guess and say between 4.5k -5k. It was nice. Everything felt great. I'm ready to start the 10 mile plan from Monday! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck with the new log. You'll be flying by December! :)

Saturday

Cycle to gym
    Body Balance Class
    20 min swim
    Cycle to Supermarket
    Cycle home with two bags of shopping, yoga mat and swimming bag!

Enjoyed the swim. First time I've gone for a swim properly doing lengths in over three years I'd say. Doing the front crawl, breathing to my right side is easy, but I was struggling when I went to breath on my left. I'm going to practice that by trying to do lengths only breathing on left side till I can do it comfortably. Obviously I'm much stronger on my right side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

dolliemix wrote: »
    Saturday

Cycle to gym
    Body Balance Class
    20 min swim
    Cycle to Supermarket
    Cycle home with two bags of shopping, yoga mat and swimming bag!

Enjoyed the swim. First time I've gone for a swim properly doing lengths in over three years I'd say. Doing the front crawl, breathing to my right side is easy, but I was struggling when I went to breath on my left. I'm going to practice that by trying to do lengths only breathing on left side till I can do it comfortably. Obviously I'm much stronger on my right side.

Wow that's an active Saturday :) Nice cross training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

well you're straight back into it after the holidays :) Good luck with the log and the new goal

Sunday

Used map my run for this. Couldn't bring iphone out on previous two runs because I've no idea where I left the arm case for it before I went on holidays. I'm sure it will turn up but in the meantime I had to fork out another 25 euros for a new one! The guy in the shop told me not to let it get wet. I was like but I use it for running loads of women came in after the mini marathon with damaged iphones! :eek: I've worn mine in the rain and I wore it for the mini marathon but nothing happened. I guess thats a warning to be careful!

Run felt great today. I actually felt shivery at one stage I was so happy!! I was able to pick the pace up at the end as well. I'm loving this feeling. The break obviously helped!

Result: 4.83km/ 2.99 miles in 33.01 mins

Lap 1: 11.39
    Lap 2: 10.25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good to see you back and enjoying your running :)

Need to make a plan for next week. Assuming nothing comes up I should be able to stick to this.

Hal Higdon 15k Novice

Week 1

Monday: Stretch and Strength Yoga at home (no classes because of bank holiday

Tuesday: 2 mile run

Wednesday: 30 min cross - cycle to gym and 20 min swim

Thursday: 2 mile run and strength (yoga/bodybalance)

Friday: Rest

Saturday: 2 mile run

Sunday:30 min cross (cycle to gym and 25- 30 min swim)

Hal Higdon 15k Novice Plan

Week 1 Day 1

Aim: Strength and Stretch

Result: Spent about four hours assembling a chest of drawers from Argos. There was a lot of strength and a lot of stretching so I left it at that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck with the plan this week. I see I've failed in luring you into my trap.. :D I must get back to following something concrete after this week myself, I'll see what Hal can offer to me!

claralara wrote: »
    Best of luck with the plan this week. I see I've failed in luring you into my trap.. :D I must get back to following something concrete after this week myself, I'll see what Hal can offer to me!

Lol! I'd love to be able to do it but I don't think I'm fit enough yet.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

It looks like Japan freshened up your legs anywho - no trouble getting back into it at all!

There's a few bits and peices that need assembling at home if your up for it? I couldn't be bothered (im no good putting things together). There's a new BBQ that needs more assembly than a feckin car so your welcome to have a shot at it.

ULstudent wrote: »
    It looks like Japan freshened up your legs anywho - no trouble getting back into it at all!

There's a few bits and peices that need assembling at home if your up for it? I couldn't be bothered (im no good putting things together). There's a new BBQ that needs more assembly than a feckin car so your welcome to have a shot at it.

haha. I'm just hoping these drawers stay up when I put stuff in them! Its hard work! But they look great. I've a bookcase to assemble as well but my dad is coming around tomorrow to help me with that thank God! Otherwise they'd probably be still in the box this time next year!

I think between all the climbing temple and shrine steps, running on and off a hundred trains with a rucksack and the bit of cycling I did at 37 degree heat when I was away helped! It certainly wasn't a lie on the beach and drink cocktails type of holiday!

Go and assemble the bbq or there won't be any weather left for it!

Week 1 Day 2

Aim: 2 mile run

Result: 3.8k/ 2.35 miles

Time: 23.43

Lap 1: 10.30
    Lap 2: 9.22

I really pushed myself on this one. I knew I was only doing the 2 miles or so and to be honest I wasn't in the mood so just wanted it to be over as quick as possible. Nice to see I did that 2nd mile in well under 10 mins!

Week 1 Day 3

Aim: 30 mins cross

Result: Plan was to cycle to gym and do a 20 min swim but this didn't happen because I ran out of time. My cross today consisted of assembling shelves and cycling to the hardware shop to get the right screwdriver for the job

Week 1 Day 4

Aim: 2 mile run and strength

Result Part 1: Run 2.72 miles/4.37k

Time: 28.36 Lap 1: 11.20 Lap 2: 9.24

Every 100 mts felt like a mile out there but I kept going because I knew if I managed to run the whole thing it would be the only good thing about it!

Yoga class later for strength

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well...I'm still alive!! :D

Week 1 Day 6

Aim: 2 mile run

Result: 5.36k/ 3.32 miles

Time: 33.14

Lap 1: 9.33

Lap 2: 9.44

Lap 3: 9.46

I did all my miles under 10mins per mile which is a first for me I think. I didn't feel like I was going very fast (for me!) I was wearing the new Kayanos today. Maybe they made the difference! I felt like I could have kept going this evening but I was happy to stop at the same time. Nicely building up my mileage. Happy with that run :)

Week 1 Day 7

Aim: 30 min cross

Result: Extremely hungover today so I went for a swim in the sea. It was great. Only did about 10 mins though. I spent the rest of the day with a headache really dehydrated watching dvds

Week 2 Plan

Day 1 Monday: Strength and stretch .....yoga class booked
    Day 2 Tuesday: 3 mile run (I also have tennis on Tuesday. Its just doubles practice so it shouldn't be too taxing)
    Day 3 Wednesday: 30 min cross
    Day 4 Thursday: 2 mile run and strength (yoga)
    Day 5 Friday: Rest
    Day 6 Saturday: 3 mile run
    Day 7 Sunday: 30 min cross

• Advertisement

Hal Higdon Novice 15k

Week 2 Day 1

Aim: Stretch and Strength

Result: Community Yoga Class

The teacher had just spent a weekend with her teacher so she worked us hard! I expect to feel sore tomorrow or the next day! A lot of planks which I'm awful at. But I am improving!

Advertisement