Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A New Half Effort

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You must be chuffed to get that run done - now enjoy the race next week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Week 8 Plan

Monday: 4.5 mile run
    Tuesday: 3 mile run or cross
    Wednesday: 4.5 mile run and strength
    Thursday: 50 min cross
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 10 mile race in Phoenix Park
    Sunday: Stretch and Strength

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done on passing the 10 mile mark.  Take it easy this week, and you'll have a great run on Saturday.

Week 8 Day 1

5.3 mile run

It was pouring rain the whole way through this run and I loved it!

Didn't have my iphone so I not sure what the time was.

Week 8 Day 2

Body Balance Class

I've been avoiding doing weights in the gym and I'm just not into it at the moment so at least if I do a body balance class instead its better than nothing. Body Balance involves a lot of stretching as well so its good

Week 8 Day 3

5 miles

55 mins

That was tough. There was a very hot sun out there this evening. I don't like running in that heat. Much prefer the rain :D

Next run 10 mile Frank Duffy in the Phoenix Park. Hope its not really hot! Might do a body balance class tomorrow morning but other than that I'm really looking forward to me two days rest!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good luck on Saturday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

dolliemix wrote: »
    Week 8 Day 2

Next run 10 mile Frank Duffy in the Phoenix Park. Hope its not really hot! Might do a body balance class tomorrow morning but other than that I'm really looking forward to me two days rest!!!

Me too dolliemix. Enjoy them and the best of luck on Saturday. here's hoping its not too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

:eek: I was starting to think that there was a heatwave promised for Saturday or something so I checked out met.ie and thankfully it's promised a mile 13 degrees with rain!!! Phew :D

:eek: I was starting to think that there was a heatwave promised for Saturday or something so I checked out met.ie and thankfully it's promised a mile 13 degrees with rain!!! Phew :D

That's good to hear Mary. That sounds perfect.

Week 8 day 4

Body balance class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

best of luck on Saturday Dollimix. :)

• Advertisement

Frank Duffy 10 mile

So I completed my first 10 mile race. I enjoyed it. I thought it was really well organised and all the volunteers were so friendly. I started at the beginning of Wave 3. It was a very comfortable pace for me starting off. Mile 1 was good. Better than normal. Possibly because I had a bit of a warm up with the walk from the bus stop! Mile 2 was good too. Mile 3 was interupted by sirens. I thought somebody had been injured and they were trying to get an ambulance through. No - it was the leader and the guy in second place who were already at Mile 9!:eek: Loved the water at the 3.5 water stop because it was hot out there. The hill leading up to Mile 4 was fine for me and I got to pass a lot of people out who were walking it. Good for confidence. Mile 4 was pretty uneventful (but that is a good thing).

It got hard at Mile 5 and mile 6. I was really hot and knew I wouldn't get water till Mile 7. It was really hard passing the finishing area and seeing all the hundreds of people who were already finished eating their bananas, when I knew me and the people around me had another 40 or 50 mins to go! Also, I could see for ages ahead of me and every mile or half mile flag seemed like a marathon away. But I kept thinking that once I get to Mile 7 I'll be fine.

Mile 7 and Mile 8 went really quickly. My hips and legs were sore but I knew I was on the last stretch. I kept thinking that it's less than 30 mins more/ 20 mins more. People started passing me but I made myself keep a slow and steady pace. Finishing is all that mattered. It really is all in your head at that stage for me and I kept reminding myself of that.

Finally, Mile 9.......what a killer of a hill! I actually managed to run it all, knowing I was near the end. But I found the last stretch from the 800m flags never ending. I could see the finish line and it seemed so near yet so far. I was determined not to walk. I didn't. I probably ran at a walking pace but I still made it to the finish line without walking.

Chip finish time: 1.49.21

I'm not over the moon about that time, but to be honest I don't care. I'm thrilled I finished it.

Highlights: The fact that Mile 1 and 2 , 7 and 8 were fine.
    The finishing line
    A girl offering me her water at mile 8
    Managing to run all the hills
    The panini and coffee after!
    One of my students was helping out with her Dad and she was so excited to see me at the end!

Lowlights: Definitely passing the finish line at 5.5 mile and seeing all the people who had already finished
    Mile 9 - all of it!
    The sun was too hot for me. I'm hoping it will be cooler for the half
    Getting off the bus when I got home!

Well done everyone else who trained for and/ or finished this race today! And thanks to everyone who wished me well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well done Dollie!
    I'm expecting you're hooked now and onwards to the HM?
    (It's only 3 miles more...!):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done Dollie, fair play to you! I agree with you about mile 9, Jeez it was a bit of a killer wasn't it? Onwards and upwards now to the half, good luck with your training :)

Hips a little stiff today but I just did a 40 min easy walk and it seems to have sorted them out.

Week 9 Plan

Training will be in a different league from here on in. I'm back to work on Wednesday, I'm going to a wedding abroad from Friday to Sunday, and tennis league is starting this week.....Hectic! But here's what I'm hoping to do...

Monday: 5 mile run
    Tuesday: Body Balance
    Wednesday: 5 mile run before work (fingers crossed) and tennis practice
    Thursday: Body Balance
    Friday: 6 mile run (if possible. Flight is at 11am, could do 6 miler at 6.30am?)
    Saturday: Rest Wedding
    Sunday: Rest Flight home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Well done Dollie you did great. have to say i found it tough myself with the heat. The half will be no problem to you.

Well done Dollie! A fantastic finishing time for your first 10 miler - that's a 10-something pace. I would have been over the moon with that - definitely something for me to aspire to.

Well done Dollie! A fantastic finishing time for your first 10 miler - that's a 10-something pace. I would have been over the moon with that - definitely something for me to aspire to.

Thanks guys. On reflection I am pretty happy with my time. And I guess I'm getting better value for my money at these races....:D

Week 9 Day 1

5 mile run complete. I felt great on this run. Knees are a little niggly but I'm putting that down to weight. Haven't weighed myself in a long time but I know from my clothes that I need to lose a quite a bit. Looking forward to getting back to work for that reason. When I'm working I've more of a routine going on and I don't have time to sit around thinking about my next meal! I love food too much! :D

Didn't time myself or anything tonight. Just wanted to enjoy it and keep it steady and comfortable after Saturday's race. From here on in I'll be under time pressure to get runs done, but I was reading over this thread from this time last year onwards so I know I'm capable and it's possible to fit everything in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done dollie on a great run :D

dolliemix wrote: »
    I love food too much! :D

I had managed not to think about food for the last 10 minutes while writing my post, now I'm starving again, and it's only 9 o'clock in the morning :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done you! :)

Week 9 Day 2

Body Balance Class

Week 9 Day 3

6.8 mile/ 11k run

Decided to keep going and make this the long run of the week so I'll have more time on Friday morning. I did set the alarm for 6.30 but I didn't get up! I canceled tennis and did this run this evening. I am sore and wrecked now. Obviously still haven't recovered from the Frank Duffy. My core muscles are very sore from yesterday too. Might use easy walking as cross tomorrow and go for a 4/ 5 mile Friday morning

Didn't do my final run last week :(

Week 10 Plan

Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: Tennis
    Thursday: 5 mile run
    Saturday: 11 mile run
    Sunday: Tennis

Week 10 Day 1

5 mile run complete. :)

My right knee is very sore. There were a lot of hills and steps in the place I was for the weekend and my knees didn't like the downhill parts :( Resting today hoping it will help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Hi Dolliemix

I see you are still running and keeping fit! Well done.

I am not running too much lately. Like alot of people I started running for my health and also for vanity reasons. However I found that for me running was not that enjoyable anymore. I suppose I did not see the point in running for 15 miles a week and not loosing so much as a pound. The only way for me to loose anything was to eat very little, which of course led to lack of energy and poor performance.

I see you are also mentioning your weight issues. I have decided to embark on the paleo lifestyle which basically means eating no carbs and eating only fresh, real fruit and veg, nuts and meat. Not before you frown at me its amazing and I can still run at my leisure and do other exercises but its not as difficult to loose weight and be lean this way. Workouts for shorter and more effective. I have started doing one run a week of maybe 3/4 miles, walking and lifting weights once a week.

And now I can run for fun.

I hope you continue to enjoy your running and continue to increase the mileage without injury.

All the best

Thanks Yungwan for advice. Not sure I could do without carbs but I could certainly eat less of them! I'm glad it's working out for you. I'll certainly look it up...Good to see you're still doing some running. Those shorter runs are definitely more manageable and not just physically. I'm finding now that I'm back at work and playing tennis its getting harder to fit everything in! Nice to hear from you anyway, and good luck continuing with your program :)

Week 10

Day 2: Rest
    Day 3: One hour tennis doubles
    Day 4: 5 mile run
    Day 5: Rest
    Day 6: Just short of 11 mile run (10.89) in 2 hours 8 mins

Week 10 day 7: 1hr45 tennis league

I think I might taper next week. I've been doing some Internet research and I should be ok with 11 miles as my last long distance run two weeks before race. I really want to get some yoga and stretching in over the next two weeks. So here is my rough plan:

Week 11

Tuesday: body balance class
    Wednesday: 5 mile run
    Thursday: rest
    Friday: yoga
    Saturday: 8 mile run?
    Sunday tennis

Week 11 day 1:

5 mile run done

Right knee quite painful during this run and calves very tight but everything feels fine now after shower. I haven't been great at stretching throughout this whole program.

• Advertisement

Haven't had a chance to post but here's how Week 11 went

Tuesday: 30 min walk
    Wednesday: Rest (Tennis cancelled)
    Thursday: 5 mile run
    Saturday: 9 mile run
    Sunday: Tennis doubles

Week 12: Plan

Monday: 4 mile run
    Tuesday: 1 hour walk
    Wednesday: 2 mile run and tennis
    Thursday: 1 hour walk
    Friday 20 - 30 walk
    Saturday: Half Marathon

Nervous about Half but I know I've put the work in so fingers crossed its not too painful. Hoping I can do it in under 2.30. My knee has been sore and my calves are tight so I am really looking forward to a whole rest week next week! I was supposed to do a three mile run tonight but Hal says cross is ok too so I'm going to head out in twenty minutes for a 40- 1 hr walk.

Advertisement