Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A New Half Effort

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hal Higdon 15k Novice Plan

Week 2

Day 2:

Aim: 3 mile run

Result: 5.15k/ 3.18 miles

Time: 34.13

Lap 1: 10.51

Lap 2: 9.48

Lap 3: 10.01

I took a completely different route today to my normal one. I just couldn't face the same route again. This one had a few more hills which was a good test as my normal route is pretty flat. I can see why Hal wants us working on strength. I was really using my arms on the hills to the point that they were getting tired. I'm happy enough with that time considering I felt Like I was running up a down esculator at the end of some of the hills!! :D I wasn't even sure how far I'd run so I was happy I'd actually reached the 3 mile mark.

Played tennis for an hour and a half last night and my (good) knee is hurting me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Been meaning to reply to you for ages. Welcome back with the new log and hope everything goes to plan for you. I hadn't seen that 15km novice plan before so it looks good.

Hope both knees are ok after the tennis :)

Thanks Shaz

Knee is still sore in certain positions but fine to walk and swim on today. Hope its ok running tomorrow

Week 2

Day 3:

Aim: 30 min cross

Result: 30 min walk up and down Dun Laoighre Pier and 10 min swim in the sea

Hal Higdon 15k Novice Plan Week 2

Day 4

Aim: 2 mile run and strength (yoga class booked for later)

Result: 2.26mile/ 3.64k

Time: 22.58

Lap 1: 10.27

Lap 2: 9.13 (that 2nd mile was really speedy for me)

I didn't enjoy this run at all. Why do I rarely enjoy the short ones? Looking at the time of the 2nd mile, maybe I'm going too fast (for me). I guess its good to push myself but I actually didn't think I was going fast from my legs. I did feel really out of breath though.

I'm such a worrier re injuries. My right knee has not been right since tennis on Tuesday. I went out today thinking I might not be able to run again for six months but by the end of the run I had forgotten about it! Thats good news I hope. It definitely feels much better since before the run. Like it needed to be loosened out or something. I have yoga tonight so that will give me a better indication because we use our knees a lot for strength.

• Advertisement

Week 2

Day 5: Rest

Day 6:

Aim: 3 mile run

Result: 3.3miles/

Time: 35.08

Avg speed: 5.78mph

Lap 1: 10.16

Lap 2: 9.38

Lap 3: 9.33

Nothing like a run to sweat all the alcohol badness from two nights ago out of my system. I finally feel somewhat normal again after that run. It was hard to get out though, I had a niggling feeling it would make me feel better and it has!

Hal Higdon 15k Novice Week 2

Day 7:

Aim: 30 mins cross

Result: 1 and a half hour tennis doubles
    10 min swim in the forty foot

And on to Week 3 already

Plan

Day 1/ Monday: Stretch and Strength : Yoga
    Day 2/ Tuesday: 3 mile run
    Day 3/ Wednesday: 35 mins cross
    Day 4/ Thursday: 2 mile run and strength
    Day 5/ Friday: Rest
    Day 6/ Saturday: 4 mile run
    Day 7/ Sunday: 30 min cross

Hal Higdon 15k Novice

Week 3: Day 1

Aim: Strength and Stretch

Result: Tough yoga class emphasising twists. Sometimes on that Monday class I feel like I need stretch after, the teacher is so tough. :D

All good. I felt a million times stronger walking home.

Hal Higdon Week 3

Day 2

Aim: 3 miles

Result: Over 3 miles/ over 6k

Time: 40ish mins

How annoying. I did my best run since my holidays I'd say and mapmyrun didn't save it. I looked down at it when I stopped and it said over 6k. I finished up at 21.50. Not sure exactly what time I started at but I heard a text coming through at around 300mts from my house and that was at 21.11.

I felt so strong. I took a different route and just kept going. Pity I cant have a look at my pace etc because I felt great. Anyway delighted I got that run done. I left it really late. But it reminded me of how much I like running at night.

Well done girl, you can't beat that feeling of a great run - if we could only bottle it for re-use on the crappy days :)

• Advertisement

Hal Higdon Week 3

Day 3

Aim: 35 min cross

Result: 45 min walk

Not very imaginative or challenging but at least I got out there.

Hal Higdon 15k Novice Week 3

Day 4

Aim: 2 mile run and strength

Result: 3.36k/ 2.09 mile

Time: 21.21

Avg Speed: 5.89

Lap 1: 10.25

Lap 2: 9.20

That was horrendous. I normally stop about 200mtrs from my house (4k)ish) on that loop, but I could not take any more and stopped at that 3.3k point. I was not even sure I'd actually made the 2miles, so thats one thing I'm happy about. The half mile was a case of 'just try and get to the next lamp post"! And while this was happening, I was thinking, this is only 2 miles....what is wrong with you? I really hate those 2 mile runs. My legs felt so tired. I wasn't doing anything to taxing yesterday. I went for a 45 min walk last night, but maybe I need to have more of a rest in between?

Yoga tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Sometimes those short runs are worse than the longer ones. I think it's our bodies getting used to running, I know it takes me a mile or two to get into the swing of things. Maybe you're mentally putting pressure on yourself too - I found that when I just set off and hadn't planned a route or a distance I seemed to perform better.
    I haven't run since Monday due to family stuff, am having withdrawl symptoms. Who'd have thought?? :rolleyes:

I can well imagine jc. One of the reasons I'd hate to get injured is the prospect of not even having the choice to do all of this. Yoga is great for reminding me how lucky I am that my body can even take me this far.

Hope you can get back into it soon. :)

Update on my plan. It's pouring rain and I'm stuck in town in the rain on my bike so I'm going to skip yoga tonight and do it tomorrow morning instead.

Hal Higdon Week 3

Day 6

Sorry Hal I never did make up for the strength I missed on Day 4. :o

I did 20 mins of stretching before bed last night. My newly renovated bedroom allows space for the yoga mat, low lighting and candles . Perfect for wind down yoga. I've ordered some yoga dvds online so I'm not completely reliant onyoga classes and their timetables. Once I get back to work next week, I will be busy, busy, busy and I know fitting Hal's plan in is going to be tough.

Aim for today: 4 mile run

I haven't checked statistics yet but before I do, I would just like to say that the pace today was perfect for me, so I'm dying to find out what it was. I was actually dreading this run. Its been really hot all day and I wanted to get it over with, but at the same time I don't like really hot sun (even when I'm not running and try and stay in the shade). Once I got out I felt great. I'd say around mile 3 (i'll check on the map my run map later) my legs got a bit stiff but I knew I'd be ok. I'd had one square of chocolate before I left the house and I could feel that coming up about half a mile before I got home!

Anyway. Great run. Even the last stretch, which I normally hate, was fine.

.....and so I'll check results:

Distance: 4.07 miles/ 6.38k

Time: 41.57

Avg Speed: 5.77

Lap 1: 10.09
    Lap 2: 10.46
    Lap 3: 10.40

lol! I have a step back week already so maybe I can try and improve speed :D

That was a nice run though so I'm not complaining. The main thing is that I'm out there doing it!

Hal Higdon 15k Novice

Week 3 Day 7

Aim: 30 min cross

Result: 20 min swim in the sea

That swim in the sea has knocked me out. It was fantastic though. I lovethe freedom and the sense of open space. Was swimming in the Forty Foot and I love that feeling of looking back at Dun Laoghaire.

Next week is a step back week. I actually don't feel ready to step back yet, but I'll take Hal's word for it. It gets heavy on Week 5 with the Tueday run starting off with a 4 miler so I'll probably need the rest!

Plan for Week 4:

Monday: Stretch and Strength (Yoga)
    Tuesday: 2 mile run
    Wednesday: 35 min cross
    Thursday: 2mile run and strength
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 2 mile run
    Sunday: 40 min cross

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Looks like training is still going well dollie, enjoy your step back week, you've earned it. You're doing great on the stretch & strength, something I'm always skipping. I must give yoga a shot again, last I tried it my balance was rubbish :o

Thanks Digi! Not sure how well I'm doing on the stretch. I feel like I'm cheating a little by not doing weights or lunges or squats or the like, but I love the yoga. I feel so positive when I'm finished. Looking forward to this step back week!

Hal Higdon Week 4

Day 1

Aim: Stretch and Strength

Result: Yoga class

Hal Higdon Week 4

Day 2

Aim: 2 mile run

Result: 2.18 miles/ 3.51k

Time: 23.13

Avg Speed: 5.59

Lap 1: 10.46

Lap 2: 7.57 :eek::eek:

mmm to that 2nd mile time. Very sceptical as to how exactly mapy run measured that!

• Advertisement

dolliemix wrote: »
    I feel like I'm cheating a little by not doing weights or lunges or squats or the like, !

Lunges and squats are evil yokes....can hardly walk after a squats/lunges session with instructor in gym yesterday :rolleyes:.

Also you're mad swimming in the irish sea - hope you had a dry suit on at least....brrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

Great to see you're right back on track after the break. You're as committed as ever! Go you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Well done Dolliemix, you are doing fantastic!

I left you a profile msg coz I hadnt seen much of you on the half marathon thread. But I discovered this thread and thought "woah, she is doing great"!

well done you on your times too! Your getting so speedy! Im still slow as sin. How do you work on your pace?

Hi Tipsy and Yungwan.

I don't feel worthy of the Half Marathon thread just yet!! :D

But the mileage will be kicking up next week (Week 5) so I'll be back on moaning and wondering why the hell am I putting myself through all of this...:D

You two are doing so well. Its great for me to see that cos we all started around the same time.

I don't think I'm speedy at all! I reckon I might be improving because I've lost so much weight. I was 14.9 stone when I started but I'm 12'2 now so it definitely helps.

I'll be keeping an eye on the two of you. The Half is getting really close and you did so well to complete the 10mile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Well whether you think you are fast or not, you are certainly alot faster than me!

Three days until my half! I dunno how ill get on. Dont be expecting any records or anything!!

:D

yungwan wrote: »
    Well whether you think you are fast or not, you are certainly alot faster than me!

Three days until my half! I dunno how ill get on. Dont be expecting any records or anything!!

:D

Wow so close!! The time doesn't matter. I only record it so I can see if I'm improving or not. Its managing the longer distances which is the big achievement!!....And you will be doing that in three days!:) Best of luck. I hope you enjoy. And when it gets tough just remind yourself how far you've come!!

Hal Higdon 15k Week 4

Day 3 and 4

Didn't have to post last night.

Day 3: Aim: 35 min cross
    Result 45 min walk

Day 4: Aim: 2 mile run and strength

Result: Yoga class and 3.99k / 2.46 mile

Time: 25.22

Avg Speed: 5.77

Lap 1: 10.24

Lap 2: 9.44

Felt like I was flying this one. Was sure the time was going to be amazing!:D

Great run though. Really comfortable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Not long now till you're running sub 10min mile for all your runs

Hal Higdon Week 4

Day 6

Aim: 2 mile

Result: 1. Cycle in and out of town
    2. 5.4k/ 3.36miles
    3. Swim in the sea

Run was wonderful today. I parked the car at the 40ft. Ran to the East pier, up and down the East Pier and back to car. Picked up my swimming togs and towel and jumped into the Irish Sea! Fantastic!

Time: 36.04

Avg Speed: 5.53

Lap 1: 11.06
    Lap 2: 8.56
    Lap 3: 9.26

Hal Higdon Week 4

Day 7

Aim: 40 min cross

Result: Cycle to and from tennis (6k ish)
    An hour and a half tennis (doubles)

Week 4 complete! :)

Plan for next week: Week 5

Day 1: Monday: Stretch and Strength: Yoga
    Day 2: Tuesday: 4 mile run (I have to play tennis on Tuesday as well)
    Day 3: Wednesday: 40 min cross
    Day 4: Thursday: 3 mile run (Supposed to do strength but changing it to Friday)
    Day 5: Friday: (Strength) Yoga
    Day 6: Saturday: 5 mile run
    Day 7: Sunday: 40 min cross (Tennis)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I wish i was good at tennis but i have zero hand eye co - ordination!

Advertisement