Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A New Half Effort

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Hal Higdon Week 5

Day 1

Aim: Stretch and Strength

Result: Yoga

Tomorrow I'll have to do my 4 mile run at 6.30am if i'm going to fit it in. I have the alarm set.....we'll see. I'm wrecked!

ULstudent wrote: »
    I wish i was good at tennis but i have zero hand eye co - ordination!

I sort of felt like I'd none of that stuff yesterday! My knees are actually sore after tennis. And I read where Hal said sports like tennis etc aren't really that beneficial to runners because of all the jerking you can increase the risk of injury. Anyway I'm signed up for the league so I'll have to keep up with it for the mo

Hal Higdon Week 5

Day 2

Aim: 4 mile run
    Result: 6.26k/ 3.89mile
    Time: 40.46

Avg Speed: 5.73

My first 6.30am before work run and it went really well despite my pessimism!
    Met about 10 other joggers out there. Loved the temp. Really fresh and cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Hi Dolliemix.

Well done on gettin up so early for your training! Thats determination if I ever seen it!

Im so jealous of your pace. Im still at the bloody 12 min miles.

Soon to start a new schedule where i hope to work on pace big time!

I have set my next focus for Waterford too, so who knows, we might meet at the start line yet.....

Before you leave me for dust!! haha :D

Thanks Yungwan. When my mileage gets as high as yours I would reckon I'll be slowing it down a bit! It would be great if you did Waterford. I could learn a thing or two from you in the lead up seeing as you're a veteran now! :)

Hal Higdon Week 5

Day 3

Aim 40 mins cross

Result: I played tennis last night for an hour and a half so I'm using that as my cross for today and today is my rest day! I will be going for a 20-30 min cycle later though

• Advertisement

Hal Higdon Week 5 15k Novice
    Day 4

Result: Yoga class (cycle to and from)

5.22k/ 3.25 mile run

Time: 34.26

Avg Speed: 5.67 mph

Hal Higdon Week 5 15k Novice

Day 6

Aim: 5 Mile Run

Result: 5.39 mile/ 8.68k

Time: 59.15

Avg Pace: 10.57

Avg Speed: 5.48mph

Loved this run. Apart from a little niggle on my right knee everything felt great. Last km legs actually felt a little numb so that made it easier! :D

I much prefer running in these cooler temps than in the hot summer sun.

Right knee is niggling and holding back the pace a bit. I did feel I had more energy to pick it up but my knee wouldn't let me.

Hal Higdon 15k Novice Plan Week 5

Day 7

Aim: 40 min cross

Result: An Hour and a half Tennis (Doubles)

Yay another week done. I can't believe how far I'm getting with this plan.

Played much better today at tennis, and my knee wasn't as sore as last week. The surface was much nicer, with more bounce for the feet. Last week we were were playing away on harder courts. That 5 miler yesterday has boosted my confidence no end. If I could do it with a sore knee, I must be doing pretty well!

I'll have to do another 6.30 am run on Tuesday because I have to play tennis Tues evening again so I'll take my rest day on Wednesday again this week.

Hal Higdon 15k Novice

Week 6

Day 1: Monday: Stretch and Strength: Yoga
    Day 2: Tuesday: 4 mile run and Tennis
    Day 3: Wednesday: Rest
    Day 4: Thursday: 3 mile run
    Day 5: Friday: Strength and Stretch: Yoga
    Day 6: Saturday: 6 mile run
    Day 7: Sunday: 50 min cross: Tennis

If I manage all the running, I'll have completed a Half Marathon over the week. :)

Hal Higdon 15k Novice

Week 6

Day 1

Result: Yoga class

Very positive experience again. I find that while I'm benefitting physically, without a doubt, from these yoga classes, I'm beginning to really enjoy the philosophy behind yoga more and more.

Our teacher works us really hard physically but is so encouraging and positive at the same time. I always feel uplifted and grateful when I leave. Its having a knock effect on my life as a whole. And its wonderful for me and everyone around me hopefully!! :)

Quick update

Hal Higdon 15k Novice Week 6

Day 2

Aim: 4 mile run

Result: 4.26 miles

Time: 46.46

Avg Speed: 5.47

Avg Pace: 10.58

Delighted I managed this before work again. Felt very comfortable the whole way.

I'll have tennis this evening so hopefully the legs won't be too tired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

So I'm not the only crazy person out early these mornings. Good for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Dollie you're really putting in a fantastic consistent effort with this since you started. Well done you! :)

Hal Higdon Week 6

Day 4

Aim: 3 mile run

Result: 3.13 miles

Time: 34.09

Avg Pace: 10.48

Avg Speed: 5.55

Another am run. Was home before 7.30am. Enjoyed it.
    Yesterday I had major doms from Monday night yoga. But everything is back to mormal today. I feel great. Ready for bed already though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Wow, I don’t know how you manage those early mornings, dollie, but keep it going!

Hal Higdon Week 6

Day 5

Aim: Strength

Hal Higdon Week 6

Day 6

Aim: 6 mile run

Result: 6.3 miles / 10.14k

Time: 1.11.06

Avg Pace: 11.13

Avg Speed: 5,34

Lap 1: 11.01

Lap 2: 10.17

Lap 3: 10.01

Lap 4: 10.06

Really happy after this run. I felt nothing in my knee the whole way. I felt like my legs carried me through this 10k effortlessly. I felt great the whole way.

I thought it was going to be tough. The last and only time I ran this distance was the Womens Mini Mararthon in June and that was a big achievement back then.

I have loads of energy still. Heading into town and I've enough fuel still to cycle.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well there you go, you're fitter than you thought you were! Bet you're delighted to get that one out of the way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

High five (in Borats voice)

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! :)

Hal Higdon Week 6

Day 7

Aim: 50 mins cross

Result: Tennis doubles League an hour and a half

I played really well today. I had loads of energy and I was running all over the court, not a bother. My partner even commented how happy she was playing with me because I was just getting everything back. No knee niggles either.

I can't believe another week of Hal is over. It feels like yesterday I was wrapping up Week 5.

A step back week this week. Which means I can go out for a few drinks on Friday maybe???? :)

Hal Higdon Week 7 15k novice Plan

Day 1 Monday: Stretch and Strength: Yoga class
    Day 2 Tuesday: 3 mile run plus 1 hour tennis practice
    Day 3 Wednesday: Rest
    Day 4: Thursday: 3 mile run
    Day 5: Friday: Strength: Yoga class
    Day 6: 4 mile run
    Day 7: 50 min cross: Tennis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done dollie, seems like you're getting on really well with the program. You training for the waterford half?

Thanks Shazkea. I'm hoping I'll be able for it! I'm feeling great at the moment, I'm up to 6 miles, but I'm still a long way off 13 miles!

Hal Higdon Week 7

Day 1

Well done on the 6 miles, you're doing great!

Hal Higdon Week 7

Day 2

Result: More than 3 miles 35 ish mins

Left my iphone in work last night. Set the alarm on ipod for 6.30am. It didn't go off but I woke up at 6.36am!!! Was worried if I went back to sleep I wouldn't wake up again so off I went for a sleepy 35ish min run in the rain.

I'm still sleepy! When I do those early morning runs it almost feels surreal later on in the day.

dolliemix wrote: »

I'm still sleepy! When I do those early morning runs it almost feels surreal later on in the day.

Surreal maybe, but fantastic all the same. I think they set me up for the day.

An hour and a half tennis tonight.

Rest day tomorrow

Hal Higdon Week 7

Day 4

Result: 3.34 miles/ 5.4k

Time: 33.50

Avg Pace: 10.26

Avg Speed: 5.74

Lap 1: 11.15

Lap 2: 9.11

Lap 3: 8.43

WOwzers!

Nice evening run :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

dolliemix wrote: »
    Thanks Shazkea. I'm hoping I'll be able for it! I'm feeling great at the moment, I'm up to 6 miles, but I'm still a long way off 13 miles!

There's no fear of you not being able to do it. You're doing great and are well on track for it. Hopefully I will see you in Waterford too. Well done on the sub 9 mile too :D

Hal Higdon Week 7

Day 5

Aim: Strength

My legs were shaking after this class

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Go you Dollie! Im delighted for ya with your progress!!

And I am MAJORLY jealous of your sub 9 miler!

Im not sure if you still frequent the half marathon thread but you may have seen I have had problems since my half with knee problems. I see knee problems have been an issue for you too.

Anyway, I had a nice 3 mile run yesterday and i (think coz i forgot my watch) I managed it in slightly under 30 mins so I was delighted. I have been inspired by your speed etc.. any tips for me?

I noticed last night (when I was determined that I was going to make a 10 min mile!!!) that I had never *pushed* myself during my runs. So it is definately something I need to do. Do you do any specific "speed training"??

I dont know how you manage the early morning runs though.. I dont have it in me tbh!! How do you plan to keep running over winter (with darkness etc)

Advertisement