Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A New Half Effort

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

yungwan wrote: »
    Go you Dollie! Im delighted for ya with your progress!!

And I am MAJORLY jealous of your sub 9 miler!

Im not sure if you still frequent the half marathon thread but you may have seen I have had problems since my half with knee problems. I see knee problems have been an issue for you too.

Anyway, I had a nice 3 mile run yesterday and i (think coz i forgot my watch) I managed it in slightly under 30 mins so I was delighted. I have been inspired by your speed etc.. any tips for me?

I noticed last night (when I was determined that I was going to make a 10 min mile!!!) that I had never *pushed* myself during my runs. So it is definately something I need to do. Do you do any specific "speed training"??

I dont know how you manage the early morning runs though.. I dont have it in me tbh!! How do you plan to keep running over winter (with darkness etc)

Hi Yungwan

Sorry to hear your knees have been holding you back. You're obviously still fighting fit though if you managed 3 miles in under 30 mins. I still haven't managed that yet! I don't do any speed work. I'm happy to just plod along and get the miles in this year. I just keep an eye on the speed I did each mile out of interest but I'm certainly not consistent or aiming for any specific time when head out. It looks like I always start off slower and after mile 2 or 3 I'm at my fastest, then I slow down! I suspect that sub 9 min mile was because I was on a down hill at that point. Anyway I think you're doing really well and its brilliant you continue to keep at it even though you're obviously more challenged with your knees. Fortunately my knees have been very good for the last two weeks. I think its the tennis that puts the strain on them actually and not the running. Anyway i'm definitely feeling far better for losing over 2 and a half stone since I started. Keep it up anyway. I'm still hoping to do the Half in Waterford in September. Maybe you'll be on target by then again? :)

Hal Higdon Week 7

Day 6

Aim: 4 mile run

Result: 4.09 miles

Time: 43.39

Avg Pace: 10.34

Avg Speed: 5.67

Lap 1: 10.02

Lap 2: 10.08

Lap 3: 9.23

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

great progress Dollie, I turn my back on you for three weeks and your hitting 9 minute and faster miles? impressed (and slightly jealous;)). Looks like I'll be following you to Waterford after all, glad to have you leading the way again.:)

Ha! The majority are 10 and over in fairness! :D

Im really the pressure now to actually take part in Waterford and not just have it down as a far away aim. :eek:

Its going to get really complicated for the next three weeks as I'll have loads of tennis matches and I'm generally busy. But I'll do my best! I need to switch from the 15k hal higdon plan to the Half Marathon plan and I'm wondering whether I should start it this week or not. I'll put up both plans and see how it works out on a day to day basis.

Hal Higdon Week 7 COMPLETE!

I had a two hour tennis match. I'm afraid I'll be abandoning Hal's 15k Plan as of this week.

My ultimate aim is to complete the Half and I have exactly 12 weeks from today to build up to that using Hal's Half Marathon Plan. I will be very busy over the next three weeks and after next week I'll be tied up with Tennis tournament challenges for two weeks. I'm hoping to do well so Hopefully I will be busy for the whole two weeks! I'm doing a 3 hour yoga workshop next sat and the sat after I'm doing a 10mile hike for charity. This all means that the long distance runs were going to be very hard to fit in and I was getting stressed at the thought of it all, which defeats the purpose entirely. So, even though I feel like I'm taking a million steps back in order to go forward...I'll be starting Week One of the Half Plan (adapted to suit my life!), because I have huge faith in Hal!!!

Plan for Week 1 Half Marathon

Day 1: Mon: Stretch and Strength: Yoga
    Day 2: Tues: 3 mile run
    Day 3: Wednesday: Rest
    Day 4: Thurs: 4 mile run
    Day 5: Fri: Strength and Stretch: Yoga
    Day 6: Saturday: 3 hour Yoga workshop + 3 mile run if poss!
    Day 7: Sunday: Cross: Tennis

• Advertisement

Hal Higdon Week 1 Novice Half Marathon

Day 1:
    Aim Stretch and Strength

Result: Yoga class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

dolliemix wrote: »
    Anyway i'm definitely feeling far better for losing over 2 and a half stone since I started. Keep it up anyway. I'm still hoping to do the Half in Waterford in September. Maybe you'll be on target by then again? :)

Wow 2 1/2 stone is amazing! I was wondering actually if you had lost much (you're doing WW yeah?) thats a great loss!

I never lose anything but I dont really need to I suppose. I also really increase my eating when I train! I do be hungry alot when running more miles!

Anyway keep it up! Started my HM training for Waterford this week.
    Round 2, here we go!!

Great to hear Yungwan. Its always good to know there's others on the same journey. It also helps motivate me when I see others out there doing it! I stopped doing ww about 5 weeks ago. But I do try and keep an eye on my weight and make sure I don't go back up. Its great with the running cos I'm able to eat quite a lot now guilt free and maintain my weight. :)

Hal Higdon Half Marathon Novice

Week 1

Day 2

Aim: 3 mile run

Result: 4.93 miles

Time:52.15

Avg Speed: 5.68

Avg Pace: 10.33

Lap 1: 9.48

Lap 2: 10.00

Lap 3: 9.40

Lap 4: 11.00

I decided to do more than the 3 miles because if I was continuing with the 10 mile plan I'd be on 5 miles this evening. I don't get much of a chance to do a long distance for two weeks or so. I've entered three events in the tennis so I'll need to save my energy that. I'll still try and my legs moving though and do a few short runs. My brother sent me a text this evening. He saw me running down the road and he wasn't sure it was me cos I looked like a runner and not a jogger! He's a runner and he has run since I can remember. When I told him my time he said I looked like I was going much faster! I actually did struggle at the end though so I guess I took off too fast.

Best of luck in the tennis tournament Dolliemix.

Mind the knee though!!

Cheers Yungwan. Got news last night that my partner in the mixed got injured :( But it means it won't be so hectic so I guess thats good.

Hal Higdon Half Novice

Week 1

Day 4:

Aim: 3/4 mile run

Result: 3.3miles

Time: 35.53

Avg Speed: 5.47

Avg PAce: 10.58

Lap 1: 11.52

LAp 2: 11.02

Lap 3: 9.18

• Advertisement

Hal Higdon Novice Half Plan

Week 1

Day 5

Plan: Strength

Result: An hour and a half yoga
    Cycle in and out of town

Day 6

Plan: 3 mile run

Result: I did a 2 hour yoga workshop and I cycled in and out of town

Day 7

Plan: Cross

Result: Just did run just under 3 miles and I have tennis at 2

Run: 2.81 miles

Time: 28.36

Avg Pace: 10.15

Avg Speed: 5.85

Lap 1: 9.39

Lap 2: 9.58

I didn't really enjoy this. Knowing I have to play tennis later was constantly at the back of my mind. But I wanted to get the miles in so I'm keeping my fitness up. I'm probably really tired from doing two intense yoga sessions two days in a row this weekend as well. I hope I'm not too tired in the tennis match. Maybe I've overdone it. It will be a competitive match

Plan for the Week using Hal's Novice Half as a guide

Hal Higdon Novice Half Plan

Week 2

Day 1: Strength - Monday: Yoga
    Day 2: 3 mile Run - Tuesday
    Day 3: Cross Tennis - Wednesday
    Day 4: 3 mile run - Thursday
    Day 5: Strength - Friday - Yoga
    Day 6: Rest
    Day 7: 4 mile run

Hal Higdon Half Plan

Week 2

Day 1:

Aim: Strength and Stretch

Result: one and a half hour tennis

Yoga class

Day 2:

Aim: 3 mile run

Result: 6.04mile/ 9.76 k

Time: 1.06.12

Avg Pace: 11.01

Avg Speed: 5.44

Lap 1: 10.34

Lap 2: 10.27

Lap 3: 10.18

Lap 4: 10.43

Lap 5: 11.18

I wasn't expecting to run this far tonight. I had a really stressful day today and night last night and I have to deal with the situation later on so it was like I was trying to build myself up physically so I'd feel strong. What a healthy way to deal with stress and for that I'm really proud of myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

i have had some great runs when iv had a lot to deal with or on my mind. i think its the mix of pounding out aggression/the crisp air etc i have also come up with some good solutions to problems when iv been out on a run.

Hal would be proud of ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Great progress Dollie, you're doing great!

Missed my 2nd run this week. Woke up on Thursday morning at 6.30am. It was raining and dark and I just couldn't do it. I had no time to fit in a run until today so I've messed up the plan for the week but I'm back on track as of from this morning.

Hal Higdon Week 2 Half Plan

Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: Aim: 3 mile run. Result: Skipped :(
    Day 5: Aim: Strength: Result: Yoga Class

Day 6: Aim: 3/ 4 mile run. Result: 3.9 mile run

Time: 42.29

Avg Pace: 11 mins

Avg Speed: 5.46

Lap 1: 11.15

Lap 2: 10.55

Lap 3: 10.12

I hate the winter mornings. Might be a motivating idea to buy some winter gear soon running wise.

Hows work going? Fair busy?

Looking good as usual. Havnt done any yoga this week - i made a promise i would do it every week. Next week!

Thanks UL Good idea. Next Paycheck I might invest.

Yoga is going well. I managed a headstand (against the wall!) last night. It felt fantastic.

Work is busy! I have an unending two bags of corrections to do this weekend. But only three weeks till midterm :)

I'll be keeping an eye on your yoga progress! :)

HEY LADY!

Yes, work is busy - but it will take 5min to update!

Fill me in. I'm all curious.

Hi UL!

Apart from having to play four games of tennis last week, I came down with a killer cold so I haven't run in over a week!! Since 2nd October!

I did a 15 mile walk today and I definitely killed the cold by staying in bed yesterday, drinking 2+ litres of vitamin C and watching 6 episodes of Mad Men in a row.

This week I have more tennis so I hope I can fit in running. Its getting so hard.

Might try a three miler tomorrow after work.

• Advertisement

Bless my boards its been 10 days since my last run.

That was 2nd October a Saturday. Might have taken a rest that Sunday. I cant remember. Monday I had yoga. Tuesday - tennis. Wednesday - Tennis.

then last Thursday I was struck down with a really bad cold. Went to work Friday. Came home at six and stayed in bed until Sunday morning. Sunday I walked around 13 - 15 miles of the Wicklow Way. Monday I was dealing with blisters from the 15mile walk. Tuesday - yesterday I played tennis. That brings me up to tonight. So even though I haven't been running I do have good excuses I think. Delighted I went out tonight. Calves were very tight and I could really feel the end of my cold coming up. But Its great to feel I'm getting back on track again. I'm a little worried that I wont be fit enough for the Half I entered in Waterford in December. I'd love to get there but I don't want to put myself under too much pressure. The cold I got last weekend was just from being exhausted and needing a break. But the tennis wont be as hectic from now on so it will make life easier. I haven't been to yoga in over a week and I miss it! I do a little at home tomorrow night. I have to make a plan now so it'll make it easier to stick to.

Tonights run was 3.47 miles

Time: 38.21

Lap 1: 11.37

Lap 2: 9.49

Lap 3: 9.12

Plan for the rest of the week loosely based on Hal Higdon Week 4. Which I should be at now

Day 3: 3.5 mile run

Day 4: Strength - yoga at home

Day 5: 3.5 mile run

Day 6: Yoga at home/ Walk

Day 7: 5 mile run

Good to see you back Dollie.:D

You will be well back on track for Waterford in no time.

Now that the tennis is calming down you can concentrate on the running more.

Doesnt look like your pace has suffered anyway.

Happy running

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Welcome back dollie, glad to see you're feeling better and hitting the streets again.

Thanks guys!

Feeling much better today. Just need to get diet back on track. Helping myself to a lot of cheese and baked goods at the moment! I should only have them as treats.

Day 4:

Aim yoga

Result: I used a beginners yoga dvd this eveing in the comfort of my own home. It was very easy and I much prefer classes but I feel great now and very rested after it.

I think I did around 50 mins.

I also cycled in and out of town. Love this time of year when its dry and crisp and the leaves are falling

Week 4 Day 5

Aim 3.5 mile run

Result: 2.69 miles

Time: 30.12

Tried out this route at lunch time near work for the first time lapping a park.

Before I went I thought each lap was just over a mile but discovered after that it's just over a kilometre. Plan was three laps. I stopped and chatted to people I knew at the end of every lap! Nice to know I have that option. Its quite hilly, up and down. Next time I'll do four laps no stopping for chats!

Lap 1: 12.24

Lap 2: 11.26

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey Dollie. Your training is going great these days, you must be delighted with it. I see you're doing Waterford - I've reluctantly agreed to it and am dreading it... Hopefully I'll feel better once I put the runners back on. :rolleyes:

claralara wrote: »
    Hey Dollie. Your training is going great these days, you must be delighted with it. I see you're doing Waterford - I've reluctantly agreed to it and am dreading it... Hopefully I'll feel better once I put the runners back on. :rolleyes:

Absolutely dreading it too believe me!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence though. :)

Hal Higdon Week 4

Day 7:

Aim: 5 mile

Result: 4.87 mile

Lap 1: 11.01

LAp 2: 10.12

Lap 3: 9.34

LAp 4: 10.46

Overall Time: 50.37

Enjoyed this tonight. I felt like I needed it because I was feeling a bit stressed.

Plan for Week 5

Day 1: Strength : Yoga class
    Day 2: Tennis (maybe try and get a 3 mile run in)
    Day 3: Tennis
    Day 4: 4 mile run
    Day 5: Yoga
    Day 6: 6 mile run

• Advertisement

Just going to post how I'm getting on with Week 5 plan

Day 1: Strength : Yoga class Yes
    Day 2: Tennis (maybe try and get a 3 mile run in) Yes to tennis/ no to run
    Day 3: Tennis Yes
    Day 4: 4 mile run ( 3.5 mile run)
    Day 5: Yoga (no - will do on Sunday)