Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A New Half Effort

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Day Six Week 5

Aim: 6 mile run

Result: 6.83 miles

Time: 1.11.55

Avg Pace: 10.32

Avg Speed: 5.69

Lap 1: 10.32

Lap 2: 10.11

Lap 3: 9.23

Lap 4: 10.36

Lap 5: 10.22

Lap 6: 9.34

Really happy with that run. I ran past the RDS, where all the marathon runners were coming out. Helped speed me up I think on that 3rd mile!! Didn't want to look too amatuerish in front of them :) Just kept thinking how brave they all are. If anyone reading this is doing the marathon on Monday best of luck. Hope you get weather like today. It was glorious and the perfect day to be outside. Im very happy with my time on the final mile, under 10 mins. I couldn't really feel my legs at that stage!!:D

Week 6 Plan

Day 1: 4 mile run
    Day 2: Cross Tennis
    Day 3: Yoga
    Day 4: 4 mile run
    Day 5: Yoga
    Day 6: 7 mile run
    Day 7: Rest

Editing Day 5: Rest
    Day 6: Yoga
    Day 7: 7 mile run

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Good job on yesterdays run!

Week 6 Day 1

Aim: 4 mile run

Result: 4.27 mile

Time: 41.27

Avg Pace: 9.44

Avg Speed: 6.16

Lap 1: 9.11

Lap 2: 9.37

Lap 3: 9.43

Fantastic run. All miles under 10mins. Did one of my regular 4 mile loops. On the way down I met some of the marathon runners on their way back with their medals. Gave them all a clap and a well done. On the way back I met the walkers still heading for the finish line. I was able to cheer them on. Their adrenaline and just the whole spirit of the day must have helped me along because I'd say thats the fastest time I've ever had!

Well done all marathon runners :)

Week 6

Day 2

Aim: cross

Result: 2 sets tennis doubles

Day 3

Aim: strength and stretch

Result: walk to and from yoga class

• Advertisement

Plan went out the window on day 4. So its looking like this now

Day 4: Rest
    Day 5: 50 min walk
    Day 6: 2.7 mile run / Yoga class
    Day 7: 7 Mile run

Just did a 2.7 mile run. Left it short as I don't have much time and I've never run two days in a row before so I didn't want to push it seeing as I've a 7 miler ahead of me tomorrow. Off to yoga now.

2.7 mile run
    Time: 28.20

Lap 1: 11.02
    Lap 2: 10.55

Not sure what happened but I had to leave yoga after 10 mins because I though t I was going to faint. I reckon I was dehydrated after run. It was such a weird feeling. We did a forward bend and stood up and my head started feeling light and the yoga teacher's voice seemed to be going all muffled and further away. I started to feel really cold and just thought I better get out of here incase I do actually faint. Mortified leaving the class early but it would have been worse if I'd actually fainted. :o

I was fine after. Just got some water into me and went off and had an early lunch.

I'm not a fainty or dizzy person. I don't think I've ever fainted and I would rarely feel light headed.

Moral: No going straight from run in a panic to yoga again.

I'll try a little light yoga myself later after I clean up the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Hope you're counting the cleaning as cross-training :D.

Strange on the spell during yoga, make sure you get plenty of water and sugar into you. Good luck with LSR tomorrow and take it easy.

Cheers Shazkea. Feeling fine today. I'm putting yesterday's light headeness down to dehydration. If I'm doing that again (going straight from run to yoga) I'll have an energy drink in between. When I saw your cleaning idea I put it down as stretching and skipped yoga at home yesterday! :D

Week 6 Day 7

Aim : 8 mile run

Wonderful wonderful run today and well worth being the designated driver last night so I wouldn't drink.

Result 7.99miles! So happy I managed it and quite comfortably as well (although if anybody saw my last 2 miles I'd say they wouldn't have thought that!) I get this feeling on my mile 6 where my legs seem numb but it actually makes it easier!!??

Time: 1.22.25 (although map my run said I did it in 22.25 cos the clocks went back in the middle)

Lap 1: ?? (map my run went a bit messed up here)
    Lap 2: 9.52
    Lap 3: 9.29
    Lap 4: 12.08
    Lap 5: 9.53
    Lap 6: 10.47 (Going UP hill at Fosters Ave so proud of this time :))
    Lap 7: 9.51

I'll make my plan for next week later. I will probably have to do one early morning run :(

The half is gonna be NO bother to ya. Roll on waterford.

• Advertisement

Hopefully! Are you going UL?

Plan for Week 7

Day 1: Yoga at home
    Day 2: Tennis
    Day 3: 4.5 mile run
    Day 5: 4.5 mile run
    Day 6: Yoga at home
    Day 7: 8.5 mile run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

ULstudent wrote: »
    The half is gonna be NO bother to ya. Roll on waterford.

+ 1 on this dollie. You will ace your first half marathon. You will do great. The yoga must definately be strengthening you alot because your times are great.

Like always I am super jealous of your lap times. I am still havent made any subtancial improvements time wise and I am close to packing it all in to be honest. But going to keep training (ie plodding along) until end of Nov and see then whether to do Waterford or not.

Best of luck with the rest of our training Dollie, hope it continues as well as it has been. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Great run today Dollie, delighted it's going so well for you. The early runs are a pain when the alarm clock is like a woodpecker in your brain but I find they really set you up for the day if you can break through the pain(which I will do again this week!)! Good luck this week :)

Week 7 so far

Day 1:
    Aim: yoga
    Result: 30 min walk

Day 2:
    Aim: cross tennis
    Result: one hour singles

Day 3:
    Aim: 4.5 mile run
    Result: 5.37 mile run
    Time: 56

Update on Plan Week 7

Thursday : Nothing :(
    Friday: Nothing :(
    Saturday: Nothing :(

Sunday: 9 mile run in 1hr 32 mins

Life has got a bit hectic. Finding it hard to keep the consistency going. Here's the plan for Week 8

Week 8:

Day 1 Monday: Yoga Class (done)
    Day 2 Tuesday: 4.5 mile run
    Day 3 Wednesday: Cross Tennis (possibly light yoga class)
    Day 4/5 Thursday/ Friday: 4.5 mile run
    Day 5 Friday: Possibly Yoga
    Day 6: Saturday: Mini fun Triatholan for Cancer
    Day 7: 9/10 mile run

dolliemix wrote: »

Sunday: 9 mile run in 1hr 32 mins

Life has got a bit hectic. Finding it hard to keep the consistency going. Here's the plan for Week 8

At least you got the LSR in. And in a great time too. (Jealous!)

You will have no problem with the half Dollie, and you will definately finish in well under 2 hrs. (Sigh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hey Dollie, had a few unplanned rest days myself there last week. It's annoying but not the end of the of the world (in hindsight!!) :)

Nice long run there, you're well ont rack for Waterford!

Made it out tonight eventually leaving at 9.36 and getting home at 10.19. No iphone cos it was wet and raining out there. I ran for 43 mins and I think I did around 4.3 miles

Nice run. Feeling very strong and fit at the moment

Stomach muscles sore after yoga last night.....good!

Im back to Yoga tonight. EEK! Im like a tree with flexability but i can't even do the tree pose good haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on your run last night. And good to hear you're feeling strong and fit. Me too (for some reason!) Long may it continue. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Dollie you're doing great - roll on Waterford as you will be well able for it.

Day 3

1 hour tennis

yoga class

Day 5: Aim 4.5 mile run ......Result: 40 min walk
    Day 6: Jump in the sea; Cycle from Forty Foot up Dalkey Hill and back;Walk on the pier...mini triathalan for Breast Cancer

Day 7: Aim: 10 mile run

Result: 10.23 miles

Time: 1.46.02

Lap 1: 10.04
    Lap 2: 9.25
    Lap 3: 10.58
    Lap 4: 11.49
    Lap 5: 9.38
    Lap 6: 10.06
    Lap 7: 8.38
    Lap 8: 9.52
    Lap 9: 9.12

....Funny I couldn't really feel my legs for those last three miles.

So far this week:

Monday: Yoga class

Tuesday: 5 mile run: (5.15)
    Time: 52.24

Lap 1: 9.27
    Lap 2: 9,26
    Lap 3: 10.04
    Lap 4: 9.21

Plan for the rest of week:

Wednesday: Tennis + Yoga
    Thursday: 3 mile rum
    Friday: Yoga (Maybe)
    Saturday: 11 mile run
    Sunday: Rest

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

dolliemix wrote: »
    Thursday: 3 mile rum
    *likes the way you think* ;)

Indeed I probably will be tearing something back tomorrow night....why not rum? :D

Wednesday: Day 3 : Tennis in the wind (one hour )

I fell asleep at 10 oclock after that 5 miler last night!

Hi Dolliemix.

Hope you are well and the lack of logging is because of the weather and not something more serious?

Are you still hoping to do Waterford?

I have had a whole month of no exercise since 11/11!!!! snow and chest infection has kept me out. So I'm back with no plan.

I'm not sure at this stage if I'll be able for Half Marathon on 15th January. My chest is still a bit vulnerable and I don't want to take chances.

I went out today just to try things out. I did 2 miles ish about twenty minutes and I felt really good. I'm going to try three miles tomorrow and get back to yoga on Monday. I was thinking of leaving starting all over again in the new year but I'm really fed up of feeling like I haven't done any exercise. I've also been drinking more than normal, taking complete advantage of the fact that I didn't have any runs to do, and baking and eating all the baking as a result of not being able to get out!

I had my staff party last night and I've something on every night this weekend. On paper this weekend should have been a right off exercise wise but I woke up this morning feeling 'I really need to get back on track".

...And so two miles later ....here I am. I don't know what I'm aiming for but if I can get up to 10 miles again by the end of January that will be good. I started the C25k last Feb so I'll have been running a year if I get back on track now and keep it up over January.

Easy Plan for this week:

Saturday: 2 miles
    Sunday: 3 miles
    Monday: Yoga
    Tuesday: 4 miles
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Yoga/ walk
    Friday: Christmas Eve
    Saturday: Christmas Day

Great to see you back :)

You will be amazed at how fast your running fitness will come back. The break hasn't been all that long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Welcome back, glad to see you’re back out running again.

Advertisement