Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A New Half Effort

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Keep it as consistent over the winter as you can, and you'll be flying in the spring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

10 days later......

Didn't get out since 18th with snow. As much as I love the snow I was so happy to see an overnight thaw yesterday.

Went out today for an easy run. It was so mild. I only did 22mins just over 2 miles but I felt and looked like I'd done 10 when I got in!

Bad news: Fitness has definitely dropped and I've put on half a stone :(

Good news: I'm off till 10th January so loads of free time to get out exercising and organise healthy food for myself.

This has to happpen...I'm a bridesmaid in March.

Plan for this week:

Tuesday: 2 mile run
    Wednesday: 1 hour yoga at home and walk
    Thursday: 3 mile run
    Friday: Walk/ yoga
    Saturday: (1st January) Walk
    Sunday: 3 mile run

Monday 3rd January: Walk
    Tuesday 4th January: 3 mile run
    Wednesday 5th January: Yoga School open again Yay!! Yoga class
    Thursday 6th January: 3 mile run
    Friday 7th January: Yoga class
    Saturday 8th January: Rest
    Sunday 9th Jaunuary: 4 mile run

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Looks like a great solid plan there. I wouldn't worry about the fitness or weight - they will both be back where you want fairly soon.

Back again! Third Effort at getting back.....The lead up to new Years was a write off because I ended up drinking a brewery and a half and I was still recovering yesterday.

Back on form today and I've just entered this race

http://www.runballybunion.com/

A Half Marathon
    23rd April
    Ballybunion, Kerry

Like the date because its smack bang in the middle of my Easter Holidays which gives me time to start the Hal Higdon Novice Plan again starting today!

I'm going to New York in Feb for a week so that takes a week out of training so I've just enough weeks and two more to get with the Hal program again

Week 1 Hal Higdon

Monday: 3 mile run
    Tuesday: 2 mile run
    Wednesday: Yoga
    Friday: yoga
    Saturday: 4 mile run
    Sunday: rest

Thanks for all the well wishes so far guys. I promise I wont let you down time!! :)

Week 1 Day 1

Aim: 3 mile run
    Result: 2.97 mile
    Time: 30.24

Definitely run out of fitness. Cant wait to feel comfortable doing all this again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

dolliemix wrote: »
    Cant wait to feel comfortable doing all this again
    Well there's only one way to get back on track :)

(welcome back btw :D)

Week 1 Day 2

Aim: 2 miles
    Result: 3 miles

Forgot to turn map my run on so not sure of time (hate when I do that).....but when I got to the turn for my two mile run I decided I had it in me to do 3 miles and kept going!

So yay an extra mile and its only the 4th January. Good start to 2011! This time last year if I ran 20 metres I would have felt light headed and had wobbly legs! :D

Week 1 Day 3

Yoga Class (ouch)

Week 1 Day 4

3.35 miles in 35.04 mins

Week 1 Day 5

1.5 hour yoga class and she worked us really hard

Week 1 Day 6

4.4 mile run

Map my run went on me again just as I was saving. I hadn't checked the time

Week 1 completed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Welcome back and well done getting back into it.

Pysio told me today I had to take a yoga or pilates class once a week if i wanted to be in good shape for a marathon so i'll be taking a leaf out of your book.

Best of luck :)

• Advertisement

Thanks guys. You are all doing so well. I'm so envious of your speed and long runs! Good lock with your 2011 goals.

Week 2 Plan

Monday: 3 mile run
    Tuesday: Yoga class
    Wednesday: 2 mile run/ tennis
    Friday: Yoga
    Saturday: 4 mile run
    Sunday: rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Well Dolliemix!

Hope you had a lovely Christmas and aren't too depressed to back at work today!

Well, I am in the exact same boat as you! I am back to short runs again (starting this week again after 3 weeks off!) but the long runs were really getting to me (I was getting a little bored and disillusioned about it all before Xmas and treadmill running is a poor alternative for me, so I decided to take a break for Xmas).

Now I am ready to get back into it, and hope I wont be completly unable for any running now! I cannot wait for longer evenings to come back so I can get out onto the roads again!!

I am also away for a week in Feb so my training ill have to be good for now. I have yet to decide on a plan for any races (I had hoped to do a couple in Jan but I no longer feel confident enough now) so I will do my own thing for now.

You must be nearly at your one year non smoking aniversary too!!
    Best of luck for running in 2011!!

Hi Yungwan, just posted on your thread! Over a year a nonsmoker now! 1st Jan 2010!! I actually forgot all about it on the one year anniversary! I put on half a stone over December and I'm trying hard to shift it. I can actually feel it when I run! :(

I've signed up for a Half in Ballybunion on 23rd April (Easter Weekend) if you're interested. Hal's Novice program would cover it with two or three weeks to spare...which will cover the week away in Feb and other things that will pop up I'm sure!

Week 2 Day 2

3 .4 mile run

34 mins

Map my Run still wont save .....really annoying.

I'm going to look into getting a garmin when I go to New York inn Feb. They seem more reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭specialk1977

hi dolliemix,congrats to you on your 1st anniversary off de dreaded fags..well done..I put up 10 lbs over de xmas and like you i can feel it big time but hopefully it will be gone in a few weeks..Just started bAack training myself last week so im still trying to build up my fitness levels..and who knows i might even join yee for de half marathon;)

Week 2 Day 2

Yoga class

I did Ashtanga Vinyasa style instead of my normal anusara and I didn't like it! :( I hurt my back when I kind of slided a few weeks ago during the snow and I could really feel it last night. I was barely able for 'cobra' which has never been a problem for me before. My back was really sore for about half an hour after but its fine today. I think I'll stick with Anusara as the movements are not as fast and I feel I'm really getting a lot more out of it strenght and allignment wise by holding the poses for longer.

Tennis doubles this evening. I played some singles on Sunday so I'm looking forward to getting out again. :)

I will have to do the three mile run before work tomorrow...cos I'm busy tomorrow evening.:( 6.00 am wake up call. I'll really have to revise this plan and try and make Thursday a rest day!

I really want to do a hot yoga class but there are none in Limerick. Closest I believe is Galway.

Thats a pity Metamorphisis. I've never tried hot yoga but I believe you feel great after it.

Week 2 Day 3

Change of plan because tennis was cancelled. So I did a 7.5k/ 4,6 miles run in 48.51.

Plan for the rest of week

Thursday: Rest
    Friday: 2 mile run and Yoga
    Saturday: Tennis
    Sunday: 5 mile run

Nice one on the run, do you find youself slotiing back in pretty comfartably into training after the break. Looks like it (It's ULstud by the way)

Nice one on the run, do you find youself slotiing back in pretty comfartably into training after the break. Looks like it (It's ULstud by the way)

Ahaa!! You certainly did metamorphosise! Yeah I'm not doing too badly. I need to sort out healthy eating next though.....

What yoga are you practicing at the moment?

That would be none, have not been since before Xmas, need to get back, im all stiff and losing my flexability :(!

• Advertisement

Week 2 Day 4: Rest
    Week 2 Day 5: 1.5 hour Yoga class
    Week 2 Day 6: 5 mile run 52.49mins

Completed week 2 yesterday with a sluggish game of tennis.

Plan for....

Week 3 Hal's Novice Half Marathon

Day 1: Yoga Class
    Day 2: 3.5 mile run
    Day 3: Cross...tennis
    Day 4: 3.5 mile run (looks like a 6.30am one, no other way to fit this run in :()
    Day 5: Rest
    Day 6: 5 mile run
    Day 7: Cross Tennis

Week 3 Hals Novice Half

Day 1: 1.5 hour yoga class
    Day 2: 4.2 miles in 44 mins

Started that run very late! 9.30 at night. Just kept putting it off. Would have had to get up very early tomorrow if I hadn't done it so I'm very happy with myself. Didn't think I'd done 4 miles either so happy with that. I was feeling a bit bored this evening....I need to start thinking more positively again.

Week 3 Hals Half Novice

Day 3

Aim: Cross
    Result: over an hour's tennis

[/B]Day 4 Hals half novice

4.8k run

Freezing and heavy legs. Not very enjoyable but it's done!

Week 3 Hals Half Novice

Day 5: Rest
    Day 6: 5 mile run in 51.48
    Day 7: Tennis match doubles

Week 3 complete! :)

Week 4 Plan Hals Half Novice

Day 1: Yoga/
    Day 2: Tennis/ 3mile run
    Day 3: Tennis:
    Day 4: Rest/ 3 mile run
    Day 5: Yoga
    Day 6: 5 mile run
    Day 7: Tennis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Great going. How are you finding it?

Hi Maria. To be honest I'm not as in to it as I was at the end of the summer. It could be the dark and cold. But I'm getting through it and hoping I'll start enjoying it again soon. I'm also tied up quite a bit with tennis at the moment so its hard trying to fit everything in. Definitely feeling results in fitness and strength so that is helping motivate me. I reckon it will get easier as the evenings begin to stretch.

Yoga this evening......always good at making me feel more positive and sets me up for the week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good to see you back Dollie - what half are you thinking of targeting?

Advertisement