Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A New Half Effort

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Week 3 Day 2

2 mile run

Week 3 Day 3

2 mile run

Week 3 Day 4

20 min cycle in gym
    weights and gym ball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck tomorrow, enjoy the race

Week 3 Day 5

Rest

Week 3 Day 6

Irish Runner 5 mile in the Phoenix Park

Delighted today that I completed this. Had people around last night so was feeling pretty hard done by that they were all drinking wine and I wasn't! I had a glass of wine in the end aware that I could be cursing myself for it this morning! Weather was perfect imo. Not sunny and a little bit of drizzle to keep temp down. I got the bus to Phoenix Park and left myself short on time. Fortunately there was another guy on the bus with a race number otherwise I would have been freaking out:D The race had just started by the time I got to the starting area and I would have liked the toilet but I wouldn't have had time. I knew that it was probably nerves, because I used to always feel like I needed the toilet before hockey matches.Any thoughts of toilet had subsided by mile two....so it must have been nerves. Mile 1 seemed really long. I started in Wave 3 and it was a nice pace for me. But approaching the 1 mile mark I was sure I'd run 2 miles. Mile 2 felt equally as long! I really got into after that though. Didn't stop for water at the water stop because I was very comfortable and I was scared to take any liquid incase I actually did need the toilet! The S bends looked tough on approach but were actually fine. Kyber was a deceiving hill but I had been warned, and I knew I had the energy to do it. One foot at a time. Hit the 800m away from finish mark and got a bit emotional thinking that I would be 19 weeks gone if I hadn't lost the baby. But proud of myself for getting this far since the miscarriage. When I got to 300m away from finish line, saw my dad and managed a big wave and smile. Stepped it up a gear about 80m towards the end and passed a few people out! Thought I had made it 52/53 mins. Just happy to cross the line though, feeling good. Checked the Website and I actually got in at chip time 51.34 :)
    I am thrilled with that time, as I have not been timing myself at all and its good to see that my pace is similar to last year. (oh and the glass of wine didn't seem to make a difference after all)!

Nice surprise at the end when Dad told me he had the car so I got a lift home. Dad did this race series 30 years ago and he is so good for support. Kept telling me that it's not the race day, it's the preparation and discipline involved to get to race day that is the achievement.

Next race Dun Laoighre 10k on the August Bank Holiday Weekend.

Week 4 based on Hal's Half Plan

Monday: 3.7 mile run
    Tuesday: Strength and cycle in gym and 2 mile run
    Wednesday: 3.7 mile run
    Thursday: Strength and Cycle in Gym
    Friday: Cross/ 7 mile run/ Depends on Plans
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: 7 mile run / strength

Thanks for all the thanks guys!!

Didn't do my strength work yesterday. Said I'd do it today but I got loads of work done and a 3.7 mile run and going out for dinner now in so I'll catch up on strength tomorrow

Week 4 Day 1

3.7 mile run

Crackly knees today...I'll invest in glucosamine...

• Advertisement

Week 4 Day 2

2 mile run on treadmill (boring and hard!)

Weights/ Stretching and gym ball

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on Saturday. Pity Shaz and I don't know what you look like, we'd have given you a shout out on the kyber. :)
    At least your dad was there! :)

Aw thanks Jcsmum! I'd be the one with the bright red face and thunder thighs!! Seriously, I saw the photo on the marathon website of myself and I nearly died! lol! Let's just say, I won't be proudly displaying it anywhere...if anything it had motivated me to keep running! :)

So I upped my running from three days a week to four..(just did an extra two mile in between the two 3.7 mile runs..and I feel like it helped me on the long distance today.

Week 4 Day 3:

3.7 mile run

Week 4 Day 4

Went for a 30 min walk. I was supposed to do weights but ran out of time (on purpose, because I really couldn't face them!)

Week 4 Day 5

12k run which is almost 7.5 miles - Go me!

And I felt very comfortable and strong for the first 6 miles.

Its coming together hopefully. Finally. I really feel like the build up from late 2010 has helped because I'm not anxious about the building distance from week to week.

So I missed strength yesterday so I might try and do it tomorrow, but its very possible I wont do anything this weekend because I'm out tonight and we're starting off with a cocktail....(things never remain civilised after that) and I've more friends over tomorrow night for wine.....

But I will try and go for a walk at least at some stage...and I'll think of an energetic plan for Week 5

Week 4 Day 6

I actually managed weights and gym work despite late drinking night the night before

Week 5 Plan

Monday: 4 mile run
    Tuesday: 2 mile run and weights
    Wednesday: 4 Mile run
    Thursday: Weights
    Friday: 5 mile run
    Saturday: Rest/cross
    Sunday: Rest

I'm hopefully doing 10k in Dun Laoighre bank holiday Monday. I haven't received an acceptance email or letter but I definitely paid so hoping it will all be sorted....

Week 5 Day 1

4 mile run

Tough. Still feeling the effects of two very late nights at the weekend. Hopefully I sweated all the toxins out of me this evening

• Advertisement

Week 5 Day 2

New program with weights which left me feeling like my arms were falling off so didn't do two mile run

Will do 5 mile tomorrow

Gym work Round 2

Core work : 3 sets

Gym ball - Bridge rolling back and forth x 15
    Plank with gym ball 30-40secs (should be rolling but can't!)
    Bicycle crunches x 16
    Side plank moving arm into space like a needle 8 each side

Weights : 2 sets

Chest Press machine: 4 kg x 15 Left leg to front
    Chest Press machine: 4kg x 15 Right leg to front (had to move down to 3.5kg for second one of these

Triceps :one 7kg weight above head lowering down behind head x 15

Biceps curl: 6kg free weights x 12

Chest Bench: 5kg free weight x 15

Row machine @ 18.5kg x 15

Chin up machine @ 67kg x 12

Lat Raise 4kg x 10 first set, then 5 second set. Changing to 3kg

Week 5 Day 3

5 mile run

Changing plan for Week 5
    Depending on how my arms feel (which are ouch today!), plan is weights tomorrow or rest day
    Friday: Weights/ rest
    Saturday: 3 mile run
    Sunday: Rest/ walk
    Monday: 10k Bay Run

The Bay 10k Dunlaoighre Race

Glad I did this but didn't find it easy. I started in the Third Wave. I was near the front of it, but I still felt the pace at the start was too fast for me. I arrived at the 1k mark under 6mins it and I knew I'd started out too fast. My first and second km are usually my slowest. After that to the 7k mark, there just seemed to be hill after hill after hill. I actually don't mind hills, but I definitely wasn't prepared for that many. I know that area quite well from the car, and I will definitely be looking at those roads in a different light from now on in :)
    I felt like I was climbing for the first 5k and I never really got a second wind after that. The last 3k, I just kept going, dying to get to end. I felt like I was being passes out all the time, even though I was keeping a steady pace the whole way through. I didn't walk at all, even though it was tempting and I did pass a lot of walkers out on the hills.

Support was great, I even turned my music off so I could hear what the supporters and stewards were saying, and so I could acknowledge them! I thought the race was really well organised and there was a very positive vibe throughout. My name was called out at the end. I was mortified!

The text message was a nice touch too.

So I came in at 1.03.58.

I am happy with that. Its a PB. My only other 10k race was June 2010 - the Ladies Mini Marathon and I did that in 1.06.25. So I've improved by 2mins and 27 secs!

Next challenge is the 10 mile Phoenix Park 20th August. I've a bit of work to do for that. I really felt like I was struggling today. I'd rather be well trained and enjoy it more when I'm out there. I've managed 7.5 miles so far in training. I'll go for 8 this weekend and 9 the following so I should be ok for 20th August.

Week 6 Plan

So I need to do this plan:

Day 1: 4 mile run
    Day 2: 2 mile run or cross
    Day 3: 4 mile run and strength
    Day 4: 40 min cross
    Day 5: Rest
    Day 6: 8 mile run
    Day 7: Strength

So here is what I plan to fit in. Going down the country Wed/Thurs and today is already Monday. But I did the 10k race so.....

Tuesday: 2 mile run and strength
    Wednesday: 4 mile run
    Thursday: Cross
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 8 mile run
    Sunday: Strength

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭MarySamsonite

Well done on your 10K and PB Dollie. I would love to do the 10 miler on the 20th August as I will be in Dublin but I have a 13 miler on my programme for that weekend so I will probably have to give it a miss. I will look foward to your race report on it :).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mary - you could come to the 10 miler early and do 3 miles before your wave starts, then you would have the motivation of running in a large group for the last 10 miles of your run.

I was so afraid someone would post that suggestion :D. Now that you have laid down the gauntlet Rainbow I will definitely have to think about it - eek. My husband and I are going to Dublin to bring our 3-year old to the zoo so, I will have to see what he says... I have a bad feeling that he will think it's a good idea though ;).

If you're going to be in the park anyway, there's seriously no reason not to! :)

I've just talked to my husband and he thinks it's a good idea... It will be my first proper race and it scares the hell out of me. I'd better register before I start thinking of ways to get out of it :eek:.

Mary - you could come to the 10 miler early and do 3 miles before your wave starts, then you would have the motivation of running in a large group for the last 10 miles of your run.

You make it sound so easy! :D

...but it is a seriously good idea. The buzz of race day really helps with motivation. Running can be a very lonely sport so I find any of the races I have done have helped me realise I'm not alone!

• Advertisement

Dollie, Rainbow, it's done, I've registered :eek:. All I have to do now is pray I won't be last :o.

You won't be last. Trust me on this one. ;)

Week 6 Day 2

Plan was 2 mile run and weights.

Did the 2 mile run but no weights :(

Haven't done weights in since last Monday and because I'm going away I won't get any done until the weekend at least.

I'm getting fake tan done at 6 so I might just do some core work on the floor before I go to make up for lack of weights

Hoping to leave early tomorrow by 8am. So I'll need to go for 4 mile run at 7am....we'll see.....

Week 6 Day 3

4 mile run

Week 6 Day 4

16k walk

Week 6 Day 5

10k Walk

Week 6 Day 6

Rest

Week 6 Day 7

8.8 mile run in 1.40mins

Week 7 Plan

Monday: Strength and Stretching
    Tuesday: 4.5 mile run
    Wednesday: 3 mile run or cross
    Thursday: 4.5 mile run and strength
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: 9 mile run
    Sunday: Stretch and Strength

Week 7 Day 1

Went for swim in the sea and 30 min walk instead of gym. It was such a lovely evening couldn't face the gym and the sea was gorgeous.

Week 7 Day 2

4 mile run :( (thought I'd measured out a 4.5 mile run) in 44 mins

I'll do 3.5 miles tomorrow instead of 3 to make up for it

Didn't do 3.5 mile run yesterday :(
    I'm really losing momentum and motivation.

Went for 5 mile run today. I actually physically gave up 3 or 4 times.

The frustrating thing is I know it's not my body but my head that is giving up. I really let stress of life get to me running today.

Hope this passes because I'm so near the goal!

Week 7 day 4

4.8 mile run

56 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Keep the chin up dolliemix... you are flying it. You are bound to have off days its only natural. We all get them from time to time. Do you go out running with someone.. just might make it a bit easier for you. I know it helps me when i am not in the mood

I know exactly how you feel Dolliemix. The only thing keeping me going at the moment is knowing that if I give up I will just feel a hundred times worse :(.

• Advertisement

Week 7 Day 6

10.8 mile run :) ....Furthest I've ever run

1 hour 54 mins

So happy I did this. The first half was harder than the second half. I really enjoyed the route. I'm feeling a million times more confident about 10 mile race in Phoenix Park. Not a bother on me today either. Muscles feel fine. I went for a swim in the sea after, which I think helped.

Week 7 Day 7

20 min swim

Advertisement