Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Latin Quarter' name

Options
  • 28-07-2010 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

HI,
    Is there any rational behind the name Latin Quarter for the area (Quay St, Flood St, Middle St, CRoss St etc)?
    Is it just a marketing ploy or is there any latin link historically etc?
    I'd have thought it'd be more an Iberian quarter...

Thanks,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

Suppose it depends what they mean by latin, a definition I found was:
    "characteristic of or relating to those peoples in Europe and Latin America whose languages are derived from Latin"
    .. Maybe it's related to the spanish arch and the spanish armada arriving in Galway way back and there influence on that side of the town. Regardless of the historical reason, Quay street and around there has always had a kind of a different vibe to it than the rest of the city, with it's narrow streets,party atmospere and genreraly just people out enjoying themselves. They could have thought of worse names I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

it a complete marketing ploy, thought up last year to try to get crowds into the place - there is no historical thought put into it.

a bit like the big sign now in dominick street that says - you are now entering old galway - whats that all about.

next they will be calling eyre square the "american quarter" or the "new world quarter"

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

yeah you're probably right, just deamt up by a few big pub owners to drum up business during the summer. I wouldn't take it too seriously though it won't be marked on any map or anything will it ? (at least I hope not)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

it's because they think that because of the open air tables in front of the eateries and pubs it resembles the continent = the latin quarter. There is a Quartier Latin in Paris from which I think all other "latin quarters" derive their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

it a complete marketing ploy, thought up last year to try to get crowds into the place - there is no historical thought put into it.
    "

That's just not true .. it at least dates back to the early 1990s when Gerry Barrett was redeveloping the Kirwan's Lane/Busker Brownes area. At that stage, the Quay STreet area was well-known as the Latin Quarter.

EDIT: Was just told by the oul lad it came about in 1984 for the City's Quincentenary celebrations.

• Advertisement

soundbyte wrote: »
    That's just not true .. it at least dates back to the early 1990s when Gerry Barrett was redeveloping the Kirwan's Lane/Busker Brownes area. At that stage, the Quay STreet area was well-known as the Latin Quarter.

EDIT: Was just told by the oul lad it came about in 1984 for the City's Quincentenary celebrations.

no it doesn't - it was loosely known as the "left bank" part of town but the latin quarter only came about last year.

taken from Independent:

Wednesday, 20 May 2009
    Galway can now boast its own Latin Quarter, with the official launch this week of the area, which encompasses some of the city's most historic landmarks.

no it doesn't

Yes it does. This is an argument you're not going to win:

http://archive.advertiser.ie/pages/view.php?ref=41953&search=!collection1386&order_by=field51&sort=ASC&offset=0&archive=0&k=

That's 1996. Can't be ar$ed trawling back any farther.

sorry soundbyte
    I actually live two minutes from the place and can honestly say that I had never heard of it being called that in the 1990's or 1980's. Obviously the word was being bantered round going by that newspaper, but it was not officially crowned that until last year. Just like dominick street is now crowned "old galway" - explain that one to me.

Where is the left bank that everyone knew quay/street as then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

That's just not true ..
    no it doesn't -
    Yes it does. This is an argument you're not going to win:
    sorry soundbyte
    explain that one to me.

Worse than the Latino gangs you two.
    "I'm gonna cut you up real good"

sorry soundbyte
    I actually live two minutes from the place and can honestly say that I had never heard of it being called that in the 1990's or 1980's. Obviously the word was being bantered round going by that newspaper, but it was not officially crowned that until last year.

You may not have heard it, but I assure you, it was in widespread usage. I remember if particularly well in the mid 90s when Terry Sweeney opened Buskers. I also seem to remember a mini Latin Quarter carnival of sorts back then.

Just like dominick street is now crowned "old galway" - explain that one to me.
    Galway Taxis should be strung up for that sh!te sign.

I always understood it to be literally the Left Bank of the canal and River, i.e. Dominick Street, but it gradually morphed into the whole area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

The Latin Quarter reference has been around for years; we opened our shop on Cross Street in 1995, and the name was already around then.

The Latin Quarter as a marketing organsation for the area has been around for about 4 years now, since they started pedestrianising Cross Street for the races. It started out amongst the publicans, but now includes a large number of the shops and restaurants.

As for the Left Bank, there was a Left Bank Cafe on Dominic Street 10 or 15 years ago. It was run by the people who had the restaurant in the Lisheen, who now have Riordans and Finnegans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

There are 'Latin quarters' all over the world. Like China towns, Financial services, Little Italys, etc. Generally it's a cities party centre. Pretoria has one, Paris has one and Galway has one. The term has been banging around for years.

The umbrella group these bars decided to operate under needed a name and decided to use one i believe makes perfect sense in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I thought it was something to do with Colombus; legend has it that he saw two American Indian bodies washed up in Galway and realized that there must be life across the Atlantic, leading to the rediscovery of Latin America.

Or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If they're all so latin how come no bartender understands "Tribuo mihi vinum"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I remember the name coming into use around 1988 when the area was becoming gentrified. The (old) Quays had a mighty music session there on a Saturday afternoon. Proper trad music and that oul lad with the moonshine bottle!!

Articals in the national press, like The Times etc. began to call it the latin quarter. Druid was getting solid national recognition at the time and the rent hadn't gone berserk so there were really funky clothes shops down there.

They really ruined The Quays when they turned it into a super pub. Pretty heart breaking actually:(

and Taylor's pub - anyone remember that gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »

How many of 'em have you tried it on?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Yeah, it's full of tits now though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

more codwash for tourists - aload of boll0cks really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Oh yes Taylors!! God be with the days. Lunch time theatre in the Marquee out the back, great sessions, and then there's the famous tale about the medical students and a cadaver..

I think there were looking to extend the 'Latin Quarter' to Dominic Street actually, or certianly start that vibe, but the Red light district seems to have well and truly set in there. Then again, some terrific restraunts down there:)

• Advertisement

bryanjf wrote: »
    more codwash for tourists - aload of boll0cks really

Some people will get annoyed over anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

Taylors was class alright....maybe the first beer garden in Galway? It was pre-smoking ban days as I remember.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ah Taylors and 'have ye no homes to fec*in go to' Séamus..;)
    It was such a great pub and was always one of my two 'meet you for a Christmas pint' pubs when I was home on holliers from abroad. Great music sessions there.

+1 for The Quays in the old days. Superpub wrecked it for me, think I have been in there twice since. Probably makes more money now tho!

'Latin Quarter', while I get the sentiment, never quite fit for me as a name, even when I lived in the thick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Blinking_Badger

inisboffin wrote: »

'Latin Quarter', while I get the sentiment, never quite fit for me as a name, even when I lived in the thick of it.

Yeah I know what you mean Inisboffin, I lived there too and never thought that "Latin Quarter" seemed right...........maybe something like the Qobbled Quarter, the Restaurant Rhombus or the Fun Fraction might suit it better :)

BB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Some people will get annoyed over anything.

:rolleyes:

how ironic

I like the thought of the Latin Quarter - just hope they do more things like the Cuban festival!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

That's currently a googlewhack, and my latin isn't up to much. I wonder how many of Galway's barstaff have a classical education ? Not that many I suspect, but ya never know !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I dislike the name 'Latin Quarter' as it is irrelevant to the area although I like the branding concept which illustrates what is in effect, the old town.

Surely they could have come up with a name that reflects Galway/ West of Ireland?

Suggestions:

Old Town
    Atlantic Quarter
    Spanish Arch Precinct

and of course......
    Buckfast Central

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

ErnieBert wrote: »
    I dislike the name 'Latin Quarter' as it is irrelevant to the area although I like the branding concept which illustrates what is in effect, the old town.

Surely they could have come up with a name that reflects Galway/ West of Ireland?

Suggestions:

Old Town
    Atlantic Quarter
    Spanish Arch Precinct

and of course......
    Buckfast Central

You disliking the name is fair enough but your reasoning isn't. The name is hardly irrelevant to the area. In the sixteen century the Spanish and Basque settlers practically ran and lived in the area exclusively, which is when this area started to become a reknowned hub for international cuisine/alchohol and market trade. That fact along with what the term 'latin quarter' means, i believe makes it one of the best names this group could have called themselves.

And besides that fact, that is the name of the area and has been for over two decades. It wasn't just plucked from the sky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Eh, blame england, musta bate the latin outta them.

(Disclaimer: The above is a joke, making light of the irish [language] situation we find ourselves in)

Advertisement