Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Latin Quarter' name

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Skinback

it a complete marketing ploy, thought up last year to try to get crowds into the place - there is no historical thought put into it.

a bit like the big sign now in dominick street that says - you are now entering old galway - whats that all about.

next they will be calling eyre square the "american quarter" or the "new world quarter"

It's the same in Dublin where they now call the end of the South Circular Road and top of Camden St "The Village".....ridiculous.
    Whatever little snot thought that crap up should be keelhauled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Skinback wrote: »
    It's the same in Dublin where they now call the end of the South Circular Road and top of Camden St "The Village".....ridiculous.

Very true.
    Probably the same bright spark in the morketing dept. of Dublin Tourism who came up the the phrase "Dublin's Left Bank" to describe the Temple Bar area. They actually ran with this slogan for some time.

Dublin being Dublin either nobody noticed or cared that Temple Bar is in fact located on the right bank of the Liffey !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

It does annoy me that loads of people call 'The West' - 'Old Galway' or 'Left Bank'. It's always been the WEST!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Lapin wrote: »
    nobody noticed or cared that Temple Bar is in fact located on the right bank of the Liffey !
    But if you look at it from the other side wouldn't it be on the left then? :pac:

Thanks to soundbyte for the info regarding the Latin Quarter name. I honestly hadn't heard of it until last year either and would have just presumed it was a marketing ploy and nothing more.

bryanjf wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

how ironic

It'd be ironic is if I was annoyed..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

it's not "the west" - it's "back the wesht" LOL

and it always will be.

It was definitely a marketing ploy last year to christen the quay street area the "latin quarter" - I really don't care if it was in people's heads for twenty years - it was never official - and I have lived here for that long and never once referred to it as that - maybe it was an "exclusive" group that called in that in their heads.

It was a definite marketing ploy last year - getting banners and posters done up all of a sudden calling it "the latin quarter" - think it had something got to to with the volvo coming in and people wanting us to look more "cosmopolitan" or something like that.

Most locals throw their eyes up to heaven when they hear someone mentioning it tho.

it's not "the west" - it's "back the wesht" LOL

and it always will be.

It was definitely a marketing ploy last year to christen the quay street area the "latin quarter" - I really don't care if it was in people's heads for twenty years - it was never official - and I have lived here for that long and never once referred to it as that - maybe it was an "exclusive" group that called in that in their heads.

It was a definite marketing ploy last year - getting banners and posters done up all of a sudden calling it "the latin quarter" - think it had something got to to with the volvo coming in and people wanting us to look more "cosmopolitan" or something like that.

Most locals throw their eyes up to heaven when they hear someone mentioning it tho.

But it's a marketing ploy that might be working - so who cares if locals throw their eyes to heaven if it brings money to that area? I mean, in a time of recession, isn't it important to do whatever you can do to make money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

it a complete marketing ploy, thought up last year to try to get crowds into the place
    And your problem with that is what exactly?

These people are in business. As an area of town they are competition for business with the other areas like the west, eyre square and salthill. They simply came together to promote themselves as an area, a concept based on the whole being more than the sum of the parts. Business' in the West are starting to do the same thing. honestly, you'd swear druming up business was a sin.

And most of these business owners ARE local and i imagine they couldn't care less if some local dole junkies throw their eyes up to heaven or not.

Latin Quarter i admit isn't a great name but so what

money is the root of all evil. ;)

but then again some people would sell their soul for a bit of the oul' money, wouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

who cares if locals throw their eyes to heaven
    McTigs wrote: »
    they couldn't care less if some local dole junkies throw their eyes up to heaven

Copy/paste fail :D

OT: Sure if they want to market it as Latin Quarter, no biggie. Sounds better than Cross Street Area anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Ha ha! :D:D The self-loathing Irish. What will they hate about themselves next?

Who is this 'marketing' aimed at?

If it is foreign tourists, I'm sure they could have booked a flight to somewhere genuinely Latin if that is what turned them on.

If it is Irish punters, do they seriously feel more sophisticated if they are supping Guinness and looking out at the drizzle in a district of town with an exotic-sounding name.

Latin quarter indeed.

topper75 wrote: »
    Ha ha! :D:D The self-loathing Irish. What will they hate about themselves next?

Who is this 'marketing' aimed at?

If it is foreign tourists, I'm sure they could have booked a flight to somewhere genuinely Latin if that is what turned them on.

If it is Irish punters, do they seriously feel more sophisticated if they are supping Guinness and looking out at the drizzle in a district of town with an exotic-sounding name.

Latin quarter indeed.

agreed, and also being charged an arm and a leg while doing it.

some eejits would fall for anything really. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

You may fool (delude, brainwash, indenture) all of the people some of the time, you can even fool some people all of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time.

Paris's Latin Quarter used to be associated with learning with the use of Latin as the main language of open debate. Almost fittingly we've corrupted it into a crass marketing ploy that's all about getting more people in drinking and ...oh ya, drinking.

"Latin Quarter" :P :D:):o:(

...so symptomatic of our malaise and attitude to all things... 'grand, just say that it's so-and-so and the stupid f!@kers will buy it or go along with it or put up with it or generally do whatever we want them to, just as long as we make lots of f!@kin lucre for ourselves'

(jesus, having a Tiernan-type rant of a morning!)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Skinback wrote: »

Do you know the origin of that? A friend who lives there tried to tell me it was a very old name brought back, and I called bu**s*it on it:p

Is it to do with The Village Pub, and if not, any reason why The Village is named that -wasn't it the Mean Fiddler and Wexford inn before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The King's Head is trying to get in on the latin quarter tag now from the looks of its ads in the paper, its complete bull. I wouldn't mind so much if there was something behind the marketing, but its just a label to justify certain businesses existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sunshinyday

too many be grudgers in here, get out and enjoy the city

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

there was a time when you would get mugged if you went down kirwans lane

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Fuinseog wrote: »
    there was a time when you would get mugged if you went down kirwans lane

You still do! When I ate there charged extra for veg etc. with my meal. That really is sh*t I think- get steak n spuds and have to pay extra for veg....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

biko wrote: »
    If they're all so latin how come no bartender understands "Tribuo mihi vinum"?

Latin refers to Spanish, French, Italian.

All 3 languages came from Latin.

Hence the term Latin America.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

When the Left Bank, or the Latin Quarter of Paris was the model for studenty /cobblestoned//artistic gentrification, the term was applied to similar areas of other cities. The Latin Quarter of Paris was of course named for the Sorbonne university, which is at its heart, and where students used to speak Latin in the Middle Ages. Then you heard "Dublin's Latin Quarter", "Galway's Latin Quarter" to describe areas of other cities who hoped to catch that Parisian vibe.

As a non-Galwegian who visits Galway occasionally, I don't care what they call it. It is all beautiful. The little cobblestone streets, the restaurants, and cafes, the old stone ...Those lovely walks out past the swans. There seems to be water everywhere you look (some of it coming from the sky, unfortunately) and the whole atmosphere is just so good

Whatever you have done to the city, congratulations. It's a great place to visit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

When the Left Bank, or the Latin Quarter of Paris was the model for studenty /cobblestoned//artistic gentrification, the term was applied to similar areas of other cities. The Latin Quarter of Paris was of course named for the Sorbonne university, which is at its heart, and where students used to speak Latin in the Middle Ages. Then you heard "Dublin's Latin Quarter", "Galway's Latin Quarter" to describe areas of other cities who hoped to catch that Parisian vibe.

As a non-Galwegian who visits Galway occasionally, I don't care what they call it. It is all beautiful. The little cobblestone streets, the restaurants, and cafes, the old stone ...Those lovely walks out past the swans. There seems to be water everywhere you look (some of it coming from the sky, unfortunately) and the whole atmosphere is just so good

Whatever you have done to the city, congratulations. It's a great place to visit

cobblestone streets in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Shop street is stones (not tarmac).

Btw, thanks for those kind words queensinead :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

bucky boulevard?

more apt?

anyone??

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

biko wrote: »
    Shop street is stones (not tarmac)......

Bizarrely enough, that stone on the pedestrianised streets was imported from.........China. It created a lot of hot air at a City Council meeting when it happened. That must be around 12 years ago now.

Connamara is full of beautiful stone and Galway City Council imports tonnes of it from China? Nuts!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

China, well now! imagine that!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Bizarrely enough, that stone on the pedestrianised streets was imported from.........China. It created a lot of hot air at a City Council meeting when it happened. That must be around 12 years ago now.

Well if were to stick to our guns, surely shop street should be called china town, Also I seen a group of chinese men walking the streets in 94 so QED chinatown

Connamara is full of beautiful stone and Galway City Council imports tonnes of it from China? Nuts!

Everything comes from China, Connemara was imported from China many years ago.

maybe we should call it CHINA TOWN - although they probably have that in the works for the dominic street area when they need more money. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

maybe we should call it CHINA TOWN - although they probably have that in the works for the dominic street area when they need more money. LOL

Lol China Town, thats good

wish I thought of that...

• Advertisement

You failed to capitalise on the situation.

Advertisement