Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Latin Quarter' name

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

What was the need to move the ATM inside Topaz? Just hoping to sell more stuff at their rip off prices while sucking the Irish economy dry. Shell to Sea!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

It's pathetic marketing tbh. I imagine there's already some silly rumours going around the student population as to how it got its name though. It's amazing how many people, the students especially, don't know anything about Galway. A lot of people I've spoken to didn't even realise the Spanish Arch existed as an actual 'arch'. Probably thought the area was called "the Sparch" too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

It's pathetic marketing tbh. I imagine there's already some silly rumours going around the student population as to how it got its name though. It's amazing how many people, the students especially, don't know anything about Galway. A lot of people I've spoken to didn't even realise the Spanish Arch existed as an actual 'arch'. Probably thought the area was called "the Sparch" too ...

I heard a lad in the UCG bar talking about this 'Sparch' and how it's been the Arch's nickname since year dickadee. The prehistoric year of 2005 or so to my recognition. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

I heard a lad in the UCG bar talking about this 'Sparch' and how it's been the Arch's nickname since year dickadee. The prehistoric year of 2005 or so to my recognition. :rolleyes:

has been called the Spannie by myself and my contemporaries for as long as I can remember. Even back when Electric Eddie did the Beat on the Street down there about 20 or 25 years ago, when jurys was still the old mill store.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I heard they were doing the Aboo festival again this Halloween, I didn't get to go last year, was it any good? Baby friendly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

soundbyte wrote: »

EDIT: Was just told by the oul lad it came about in 1984 for the City's Quincentenary celebrations.

yes, that's how I remember it

Advertisement