Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tagging question for photoblog

• 28-07-2010 8:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Some Photoblog questions:
    I have a Wordpress photoblog- http://photoblog.ie. Should I be adding tags 'photo', 'photography', 'photoblog', 'photo blog' to every posting (posting is normally just picture without text) so site/pages will appear higher in search results?

*bonus question*
    4. I know it doesn't matter but do you call it 'photoblog' or 'photo blog'?

Cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

For a more optimised result in search queries, tagging is recommended. Me - as a "reader" - I'm fond of tags and/or categories because I find it easier to navigate the site. However, I can see why a photoblog doesn't neccessary require tags or categories, as it will just contain images.

So basicly it's a personal choice, but proper site hierarchy, categories and tagging do improve search results.

On a sidenote - if you want correct anaylisis of your visitors - install Google analytics and the Add-it button which will provide better data than your WP dashboard.

And I *think* it's "photoblog"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

additional questions (I have these in another thread 'website development something) but could probably get a quicker answer here. (Is it okay to have same questions in 2 seperate posts/categories?)
    Hi,
    I have a Wordpress photoblog- http://photoblog.ie. (just changed over recently so haven't gotten Archive page fixed yet.)
    I'm wondering what are the steps to try to get best search engine optimization?
    1. Is there a 'one-stop' site (free) that'll register/list it in all search engines for me in one go?
    If not what are the sites for different search engines to register/list it?
    2. Meta data. In Wordpress settings there doesn't appear to be any setting for adding meta data description etc. How can I do this?
    3. My posts are mainly photos without any text (bar photo title). Should I be adding 'photo', 'photography', 'photoblog', 'photo blog' tags to each picture/post?
    4. Should I add a description to each post (appears under the picture). I suppose the more key words in each post the more likely posts will appear higher up?
    5. Anything else I can do for higher search engine results?
    I have the url in my Gmail signature
    I've linked to some other photo blogs in my 'blogroll' section.
    I post in forums.
    6. Ideally it'd be great if my site appeared high up if someone searched for 'photoblog'. But I guess this depends on traffic to site etc?
    What exactly determines the rankings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

1. Is there a 'one-stop' site (free) that'll register/list it in all search engines for me in one go?
    If not what are the sites for different search engines to register/list it?
    Maybe do a bit of googling to find out.....

I don't mean to sound harsh but almost all of your questions can be found out easily by typing a few words into Google/yahoo/bing/ etc etc

You seem to want to start this up without any work/research imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

kjt wrote: »
    Maybe do a bit of googling to find out.....

I don't mean to sound harsh but almost all of your questions can be found out easily by typing a few words into Google/yahoo/bing/ etc etc

You seem to want to start this up without any work/research imo

No offence taken. I have googled my questions but am just wondering what else I can do, is there an easier route than what I plan to do (i.e 'recommended one stop site for getting listed, I've heard some are bogus etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

You can go and pay for them to be listed in all major search engines but personally I've always done it site by site. That way you know they've been listed and usually get crawled quicker from my experience. Seo, links and search terms take a long time to get on top. It takes a lot of work and patience, worth it though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement