Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on what way to proceed please

Options
  • 28-07-2010 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I've rescently got a large field at the back of my house cleared off, its about 1/4 of an acre, its very rock ground.

I'm planning on planting fruit trees and veg plots and keeping some chickens and geese.

Can anyone recommend ways of keeping it from becoming over grown again, also we dug the front lawn up and were putting down a patio area and some cut stone.

I was looking at that weed fabric and it would cost E500 to cover the lawn. Is there a cheaper way or cheaper material out there to use?

The last thing I want after spending money getting it cleared off is to have it overgrown again.

Do these fabrics work, any advice very much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

jacknife wrote: »
    I've rescently got a large field at the back of my house cleared off, its about 1/4 of an acre, its very rock ground.

I'm planning on planting fruit trees and veg plots and keeping some chickens and geese.

Can anyone recommend ways of keeping it from becoming over grown again, also we dug the front lawn up and were putting down a patio area and some cut stone.

I was looking at that weed fabric and it would cost E500 to cover the lawn. Is there a cheaper way or cheaper material out there to use?

The last thing I want after spending money getting it cleared off is to have it overgrown again.

Do these fabrics work, any advice very much appreciated

You need to do some more research, eg what type of freuit do you expect to grow in rocky ground? Similarly good quality weed barrier (Mypex) will cost more to buy with pegs than € 500.

The last thing you want is wasting money on wrong plant stock and wrong materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭40701085

Might be best to level & seed it as lawn for now. Once established it should outcompete most weeds & it will be easy to access/modify.

Later, you can place your chosen trees in pits, & the sod should be easy enough to lift when starting your veg plots (small ones to start, I presume?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 JIZ

ROUND-UP ROUND-UP AND MORE ROUND -UP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

JIZ wrote: »
    ROUND-UP ROUND-UP AND MORE ROUND -UP
    That's real Redneck gardening..

It would be best lay it in a lawn, even roughly as long as the mower can pass over it... Then cut out bit by bit what you want for other uses... Easier on money that way.

bbam wrote: »

It would be best lay it in a lawn, even roughly as long as the mower can pass over it... Then cut out bit by bit what you want for other uses... Easier on money that way.

Agreed on the lawn...but clear it first...ROUND UP

• Advertisement

And please do not try to insult. Ive cleared alot of ground....ALOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭jacknife

Thanks for the replies

I did a bit spraying and it rained just afterwards.

I'm planning on keeping poultry and i've been told geese will help keep the grass down, the garden centre said that the rocky soil will not affect the trees.

I'm planning on making a veg box, and it seems like railway sleepers is the best way to go.

Does anyone have any opnions on the weed fabric, i've found a guy on ebay uk who will ship to ireland much cheaper than whats sold over here

jacknife wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies

I did a bit spraying and it rained just afterwards.

I'm planning on keeping poultry and i've been told geese will help keep the grass down, the garden centre said that the rocky soil will not affect the trees.

I'm planning on making a veg box, and it seems like railway sleepers is the best way to go.

Does anyone have any opnions on the weed fabric, i've found a guy on ebay uk who will ship to ireland much cheaper than whats sold over here

Weed fabric although pricey is very good. I grow alot of veg through Mypex and it cuts out most of the weeding.
    Railway sleepers are a great idea for veg boxes, again though expensive.

I have 15 raised beds made out of scafolding planks, can be picked up fairly cheaply. just an idea.

Let us know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

JIZ wrote: »
    And please do not try to insult. Ive cleared alot of ground....ALOT.

No insult intended.... more of a description of someone who repeatadly applies roundup rather than gardening a plot..

Roundup once would be enough :rolleyes:.

I too have cleared ground... maybe not enough to use all capitals, I'll check and see.

I too have cleared ground... maybe not enough to use all capitals, I'll check and see.
    :D Smart ass lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement