Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site clearance Bennetsbridge Road

Options
  • 28-07-2010 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was driving out the Bennetsbridge road yesterday and noticed about half a mile out from the ring road there was a site being cleared. Does anyone know what is going in here?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Road straightening I guess. And if the road isn't being straightened, at least the hedge was removed so that there is visibility around the bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SabAlliance

They are building are an entrance to a new development called 'Warrington Woods'. Two hundred timber framed 3 bedroom homes, I hear.

Should do the road good as it never benefited from a good development during the boom years.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

I thought it was houses alright. I was guessing 4 or 5. How wrong was I

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SabAlliance

toe_knee wrote: »
    I thought it was houses alright. I was guessing 4 or 5. How wrong was I
    Yea and they should be very affordable given the market. The only reason I know this is because of the planning notice on the fence outside.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

There's also a Dunnes Stores going in there.

It'll never get old :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

I saw the plans for that, its going to be one of their megastores

OK I lied:-)

Yea and they should be very affordable given the market. The only reason I know this is because of the planning notice on the fence outside.

Drove by it yesterday and didn't see any planning notice. Anyone know who is building them or selling them? If I rang the County Council in Kilkenny would they give any information on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Do we really need more houses?
    Aren't there 20 ghost estates in kilkenny county alone?
    Cnoc Bawn still has to be launched and that's been completed for over two years now.
    Will the developer be pushing his keys through the tax payers letterbox when they don't sell?
    And Saballiance, I believe a footpath into the ringroad would be more socially beneficial to that area than another ghost estate.
    Japan built airports and motorways that are still unused to this day just to keep vested interests happy, looks like the same mistake is being made here if it is indeed another estate.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I would take the 200 new houses to be as tongue in cheek as the new dunnes going in out there (yes, it will never get old).
    Agricultural entrance, road re-alignment eventually I still say :)

• Advertisement

You're probably right.

I was probably thinking that the land would have been bought at a cheaper price and the labour should be cheaper also. Will this mean the house will be cheaper than the other ones that are idle around Kilkenny. I would say so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

catbear wrote: »
    Do we really need more houses?
    Aren't there 20 ghost estates in kilkenny county alone?
    Cnoc Bawn still has to be launched and that's been completed for over two years now.
    Will the developer be pushing his keys through the tax payers letterbox when they don't sell?
    And Saballiance, I believe a footpath into the ringroad would be more socially beneficial to that area than another ghost estate.
    Japan built airports and motorways that are still unused to this day just to keep vested interests happy, looks like the same mistake is being made here if it is indeed another estate.

out of interest where are the 20 "ghost estates" coming from? not doubting you just generally interested in which ones they are.

About six months ago the KP had a two page spread naming the unfinished and partially sold estates for the county. There was no online link for it but if you're really interested drop into the KP office and view their back issues.

This KP piece says there's 13 ghost estates but the number increases to 21 in the article. Perhaps the only way we'll know for sure is when all properties are taxed.
    http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/13-39ghost-estates39-as-construction.6155645.jp

Also this piece from last weeks indo says there's over 600 ghost estates in Ireland:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/11000-new-houses-built-as-300000-still-lie-empty-2278269.html

Houses been built cheaper will make no difference on price as supply far outstrips demand and the lack of credit drags too. Even if the vested interests manage to keep ghost estates off the market, the second hand market will set lower prices on a weekly basis. I reckon some houses will eventually go for 30% of their 2007 price.

I've have more than one retired builder say to me that the day houses were been built for the people who moved here to build houses for the existing domestic market was the day it was over, and that was over five years ago. Builders don't build houses for other builders, they do it themselves!

Advertisement