Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making the switch from BOI to PTSB

Options
  • 28-07-2010 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I`ve never been great with my funds and banking practices but due to, lets say a lack of loyalty from my current bank I have decided to make the switch to PTSB.
    The lady i have been dealing with is extremely nice and helpful and i have been sent the pack and I have all my docs etc in place ready to go.

I`m just wondering is there anyone out there thats made that switch and how did it all go, was the grass greener!?
    Is PTSB a good overall bank for general banking and is it a stable organisation going forward?

Thanks for looking

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ralph-saggi

Would also be interested in hearing similar to this, as i find BoI to be completely dis-loyal pack of w**nkers!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

PTSB for a current account? 48 euro a year, not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

Sorry it costs €48 per year?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

Switched from AIB to PTSB in 2009, worked out very well, no charges as it is a switcher account, think its still the same...

saltie wrote: »
    Sorry it costs €48 per year?

Ring them and ask. Most people I have talked to who have switched this year have gotten an account with quarterly fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

I switched from BoI after they started charging me for my current account.
    Left them 5 years ago and never looked back, PTSB are very good and never had any problems with them.
    And instead of a bank taking my money to have an account PTSB give me money every year.

Hi Billbond cheers for that, do you know what this €48 annual charge is?
    I reckon i`ll still make the switch but be interested to know what the story is there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

I moved from UB to PTSB. Found them much nicer than UB staff and nothing is ever a problem and have now switch all my insurance, life policies to them as they worked out cheaper, with better cover.

Also moved all my savings from credit union to PTSB as the interest rate was 3.75% against 1% !! huge difference on dividends.

Thanks gaz looks positive. I have a bit in my CU too, may aswell move it all over. Also the 0% for 6 months on CC looks good! I might actually get some paid off it..

Hi Billbond cheers for that, do you know what this €48 annual charge is?
    I reckon i`ll still make the switch but be interested to know what the story is there..

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=137273

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=139817

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

So just make sure to get the PTSB Switch Current Account and you will be fine and wont get charged.

billbond4 wrote: »
    So just make sure to get the PTSB Switch Current Account and you will be fine and wont get charged.

You can't make sure.

They say "if you qualify" on the website. They work this out with an internal scoring system which they don't tell you anything about really. They won't tell you before you open the account if you qualify. If you open it and fail to qualify, they won't tell you why.

It's such a transparent and well thought out system.

Im with Perm TSB and Its the best bank ive ever been with.

As for €48 charges? RUBBISH

I am only charged if I use my overdraft, or if I go over my overdraft.

I have never once had a payment refused even though I have been a few quid over my agreed overdraft limit.

And now they are bringing out a Visa Debit card to replace the useless Laser Card.

I will never switch bank accounts again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I'd be interested to find out how the banks in question became 'disloyal'....

Im with Perm TSB and Its the best bank ive ever been with.

I am only charged if I use my overdraft, or if I go over my overdraft.

I have never once had a payment refused even though I have been a few quid over my agreed overdraft limit.

And now they are bringing out a Visa Debit card to replace the useless Laser Card.

I will never switch bank accounts again.

Standard current accounts charge 12 euro per quarter, fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not nessecarily. It's been reported here that many people switching have been put on their standard current account which does charge due to not fulfilling PTSB's criteria for fee free accounts. Of course no one in PTSB'S told them that beforehand..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sleezy

Would also be interested in hearing similar to this, as i find BoI to be completely dis-loyal pack of w**nkers!

Cheers
    Ditto.

stepbar wrote: »
    I'd be interested to find out how the banks in question became 'disloyal'....

OK so, well I`m with this bank for 16 years through college, first job and more recently first child. I have been in employment in decent jobs through all those years and I have had loans with them many times and never once failed to pay them back. This time I ring up to look for a small car loan, 4K to be precise, to upgrade the car (its a 3 door hatchback and i need a 5 door saloon now). Firstly the process stinks. I had to talk to a generic guy who asks probing questions about pay etc and then the long silence and then I am declined! I didnt even consider that i would be declined tbh as i say i have a good history with loans.
    Now i know we live in different times but in fairness a 4K loan would not be a problem for me to pay back, in fact now i`m just going to use savings but the whole process reeks to me and this from a bank that not too long ago were sending me letters saying i was pre-approved for a loan upwards of 15K! When i tell the guy on the phone i`m disappointed and cannot really undersdtand why i have been declined he just said something about new criteria blah blah.
    Its typical of the whole banking process that they hit the ordinary joe soap for the issues that they created.
    I`m not going to even bother talking to the manager at my branch because I should have been directed there by said generic guy but he just said sorry and that was that.
    That is all really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sleezy

OK so, well I`m with this bank for 16 years through college, first job and more recently first child. I have been in employment in decent jobs through all those years and I have had loans with them many times and never once failed to pay them back. This time I ring up to look for a small car loan, 4K to be precise, to upgrade the car (its a 3 door hatchback and i need a 5 door saloon now). Firstly the process stinks. I had to talk to a generic guy who asks probing questions about pay etc and then the long silence and then I am declined! I didnt even consider that i would be declined tbh as i say i have a good history with loans.
    Now i know we live in different times but in fairness a 4K loan would not be a problem for me to pay back, in fact now i`m just going to use savings but the whole process reeks to me and this from a bank that not too long ago were sending me letters saying i was pre-approved for a loan upwards of 15K! When i tell the guy on the phone i`m disappointed and cannot really undersdtand why i have been declined he just said something about new criteria blah blah.
    Its typical of the whole banking process that they hit the ordinary joe soap for the issues that they created.
    I`m not going to even bother talking to the manager at my branch because I should have been directed there by said generic guy but he just said sorry and that was that.
    That is all really
    Those wan.....er....bankers are a disgrace! We are taxpayers. Our hard earned tax money went to bail out that bunch of incompetant twats! My wages are paid by EFT. I am going to see if this can be done into a credit union account. Sick of the bastards at this point. They should all be locked up for corruption along with their Fianna Fail partners in crime and the gangster property developers. To hell with them all Why do people still vote FF anyway. Well instead of moaning just do the right thing next election time. Tiocfaidh Ar La.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Sleezy, less of that please. If you need to rant, start a blog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

PTSB mentioned as an afterthought that I would be moving to a standard current account with them when I filled out the switcher pack. :rolleyes:

I told them where to go and stuck with BOI (free banking if you do their silly little dance and make 3 online transactions a quarter).

But in general I've found NIB to have the best offer (fantastic online banking: intl currency xfers on the spot, very granular standing order rules - you won't believe it if you've moved from BOI and their 60's paper letter authorisations).

Ulster are good too.

Advertisement