Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taking baby swimming

• 28-07-2010 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

What age is it ok to take baby swimming in public pool? are there any restrictions? also, where can I buy those swimmer nappies size small? I've tried chemists and supermarkets with no joy. Do nothercare stock them? my baby is just gone 9 weeks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Tesco sells them.

Once baby has had their 2nd set of jabs we were told it was safe to bring her swimming.
    Ask your gp/phn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Is your baby breastfed? If so, you don't have to wait for the 2nd set of jabs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You don't really have to wait for the second set of jabs, only if you want to. My little dude didn't even have his first when I first brought him to a baby swimming class.

We bought a reusable swim nappy online and a wee baby wetsuit / bodywarmer to keep him warm. The pool we went to was a bit warmer than a normal pool though.

Make sure to bring at least the carseat in with you to the changing room to have somewhere to put the baby while you're getting yourself ready. They can be pretty clingy the first few times but they soon loosen up and go wild splashing.

houseman wrote: »
    where can I buy those swimmer nappies size small? I've tried chemists and supermarkets with no joy.

I've seen the Huggies little swimmers in both Super Valu and Tesco in the last week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you live near Maynooth I have a few to spare as I bought too many and she has grown out of them now.

http://www.littleswimmers.com/na/products/designs_sizes.asp size small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 mater_familias

When hubby took little one swimming he bought the nappy at the shop in the swimming pool. I'm sure it was more expensive but for only a few occasions it worth it.

You can usually buy them for about a euro each in Tesco too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 houseman

Thanks all. 2 month Jabs due next week so might as well wait till then. Found a swim pack in boots with nappies and a towel for 6 euro ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭hiltonhater

im taking my boy swimming tomorrow for first time! bought his swimmers in dunnes and have seen them also in tesco and centra too which i found odd!
    i called the pool and they said they are happy for him to be there once he has had his bcg and first set of 6in1 vacs. how did your baby get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Incognita

We took our last baby swimming at around 8 months, he loved it. Anywhere we have gone - pools etc always sell swim nappies for around 2 euro each. Have fun!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 padraigc

I brought my little fella (18 months) on Sat for the first time. We sat on the edge for 10 mins with our feet in the water and just splashed with hands and legs. Once we got in we kept playing games like ring-a-rosey, etc.
    Drying him was almost impossible and he roared the place down but worth the effort. Def going again next week. Any tips for drying faster, easier are welcome. Btw I dried him first and then myself, is the otherway around a better bet? Didn't want him to get cold waiting for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

I bring my lad (3.5) every weekend to the Shoreland in Bray.
    Special kiddies pool and they've an fun swim where they put loads of floats etc in to play with.

I always dry him first then me, better me shivering then him.
    Make sure to bring a banana (or alternative) and a drink, the weeman is always starving afterwards.

Last tip don't bother with the life jacket type floats, tried it then arm bands and they worked much better

R

Das Kitty wrote: »
    We bought a reusable swim nappy online and a wee baby wetsuit / bodywarmer to keep him warm. The pool we went to was a bit warmer than a normal pool though.

Going to bring the wee buck swimming next month, we're going away on holidays and he'll be 17 weeks. I'm hoping he'll get on ok and I can join the local pool after.

Does anyone have recommendations for flotation devices? I know I saw a thing on some website that was like a floating ring but he could sit in it, can't for the life of me remember where. Would you recommend the wetsuit Grawns?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yep I recommend the body warmers. I got them on eBay seller's Mike's Dive Shop. They're snug but they really keep them cosy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Kikib

I've been looking for these for ages, so I can get them in the supermarket! I saw Terry nappy covers in mother care would they do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

deemark wrote: »
    Does anyone have recommendations for flotation devices? I know I saw a thing on some website that was like a floating ring but he could sit in it, can't for the life of me remember where. Would you recommend the wetsuit Grawns?

I wouldn't bother with any of the flotation devices until they get a little bit older as you will be holding him all the time. The child is too small to be able to float properly with arm bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

We signed our 14 week old daughter up for swimming lessons with babyswim ... Really looking forward to it ... I can't swim for crap so always wanted to make sure my kids would be able to ... First lesson is end of May ... Can't wait! We didn't bother with a wet suit cos they said the pool is well heated so we'll see how it goes

Advertisement