Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a mobile phone, old or new.

Options
  • 28-07-2010 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure whether to post this here or in the Retro Forum.

I lost my loyal and trusty Nokia 6680 last week and need to get a replacement.

I was very happy with it, and would happily get another one the same or similar model and spec.

I bought it about 5 years ago and it cost me about 150 euros then.

I am no longer earning celtic tiger wages, so even 150 is a colossal amount of money for a phone, and I dont need all the bells and whistles that a lot of modern day phones have.

All I really need it for is calling and texting.

Must haves:
    SMS ability
    Make/Receive calls
    Internet via GPRS/3G
    Not be a clam shell style
    Not a touch screen(unless its one of the very new touch screens like on the ipone, but that will probably push me over my budget)

Would like to haves:
    Bluetooth
    Ability to charge from mini-USB

Budget will be about 60 euro, though if I spend that much I will want it to be a new one.

So boardsies, despite my pickiness, can you recommend me a phone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 han.

you're asking for a bit much for just €60! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

han. wrote: »
    you're asking for a bit much for just €60! :confused:

Alright, lets say 80 euro.

Surely I can find a non touch screen, non clam shell, phone that can do texts and calls and Internet for sub 80 euro? Can't I?

It doesnt need a camera, it doesnt need an FM Radio and it doesnt need GPS. Bluetooth would be nice but not a must have.

Am I delusional to think I cant get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's a 6680 on adverts for 70
    http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=all&si=6680+&sort=1

Or maybe a C300?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Pick up a Nokia E Series second hand. An E61i maybe?

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e61i-1858.php

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Which carrier are you with?
    And are you a bill pay or pay as you go customer.

Here's one from Vodafone that meeds all of your criteria. It says there's an internet browser but I don't imagine it'd be great with a screen that small.
    €9 over budget but includes €20 credit.

http://www.vodafone.ie/df/shop/ProductDetails.shtml?handsetselected=373100&offerSelected=prepayupgrade&action=view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

What you want to do is spend ~€20 or ~€40 more and get a nokia n95 ala:

this
    or
    this

Greatest phone ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Sony Ericsson k750i or k800i - very good, solid, dependable phones and you should be able to pick one up very cheaply.

EDIT: internet is muck on them. Probably not suitable then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Heroditas wrote: »
    Sony Ericsson k750i or k800i - very good, solid, dependable phones and you should be able to pick one up very cheaply.

EDIT: internet is muck on them. Probably not suitable then.

I had one of those, not really suitable for the internet and screen is very small..

Maybe I will change internet to a would like to have. I am not going to be spending large amounts of time on it, and wont be doing email on it. Its just if I need to look up a map, or a translation or something.

The N95 does look lovely, so I might considering springing for it.

Its seems strange but also, encouraging that a Nokia 6680, that is nearly 5 years old, has only dropped in price second hand by 50%. It re-affirms my impressions that it is quite a solid phone. Ill also consider going for that.

My frustrations with buying a mobile phone, seem to mirror the frustrations I had when I was looking for a flat/house to rent in Dublin. A lot to choose frrom, but very few quality items for those with limited means.

my dad has the n95 and i absolutely hate it :confused: its like a block. but thats just my opinion - if it suits you go for it :o

• Advertisement

my dad has the n95 and i absolutely hate it :confused: its like a block. but thats just my opinion - if it suits you go for it :o

Apart from it being like a block, what else dont you like about it?

syklops wrote: »
    Apart from it being like a block, what else dont you like about it?

i guess because im a girl its a really manly phone for me, which if you are a man is obviously going to be good for you! :p:D the internet was really slow for my dad, when i tried to use it, it just seemed like it took forever to load.. :( are you planning to go into a shop or buying it online btw? :p cause i would recommend going into the shop & seeing it for yourself.. :o it could be the exact phone that you're looking for.. i just dont like the phone personally :p

i guess because im a girl its a really manly phone for me, which if you are a man is obviously going to be good for you! :p:D the internet was really slow for my dad, when i tried to use it, it just seemed like it took forever to load.. :( are you planning to go into a shop or buying it online btw? :p cause i would recommend going into the shop & seeing it for yourself.. :o it could be the exact phone that you're looking for.. i just dont like the phone personally :p

It is an old phone so it won't be stocked in the shops. The N95 is one of the best phones ever made.

angel01 wrote: »
    It is an old phone so it won't be stocked in the shops. The N95 is one of the best phones ever made.

i'd have to disagree that its one of the best phones ever made :confused:

Whether I buy it online, or in a shop or second hand does not matter too much, all that does is the price.

Angel01, you have said twice that the N95 is the best phone ever made, would you care to elaborate? What features do you like the most? What makes it the best phone ever?

The N95 is starting to look quite attractive, even though I will ahve to spend more than I had said before.

Whats the durability like? I had the Nokia 6680 for about 5 years and it only suffered a few scratches. If I got an N95, is it likely I would have it in another 5 in decent nick?

syklops wrote: »
    Whether I buy it online, or in a shop or second hand does not matter too much, all that does is the price.

Angel01, you have said twice that the N95 is the best phone ever made, would you care to elaborate? What features do you like the most? What makes it the best phone ever?

The N95 is starting to look quite attractive, even though I will ahve to spend more than I had said before.

Whats the durability like? I had the Nokia 6680 for about 5 years and it only suffered a few scratches. If I got an N95, is it likely I would have it in another 5 in decent nick?

Sorry that I repeated myself, It has a good size screen, good durability, good camera, wifi, GPS, good media player, I like the slide design, earjack, one of the best phones Nokia have produced and is much better than any later phones they released.

Seeing as the phone was released in 2007 (I think) and people are still using it today, says how good the phone is for durability.

I only posted once in this thread so how am i repeating myself, I am unsure?

angel01 wrote: »
    Sorry that I repeated myself, It has a good size screen, good durability, good camera, wifi, GPS, good media player, I like the slide design, earjack, one of the best phones Nokia have produced and is much better than any later phones they released.

Seeing as the phone was released in 2007 (I think) and people are still using it today, says how good the phone is for durability.

I only posted once in this thread so how am i repeating myself, I am unsure?

I read back over the thread, you did post twice, but it was another poster who also said it was the best phone ever. Sorry for any offense.

Is it just me, or has ebay gone downhill in recent years? I last used it about 5 years ago and it was grand. Alot of scams but a bit of smart buying and selling and you were grand.

I lost out on 2 Nokia 6680's for a very cheap price for silly reasons. One I was waiting for the auction to finish, and refreshed the page a few times, to make sure the price was up to date. With 10 seconds to go, I bid 15 pounds, and it logged me out of the site. By the time I logged back in, the auction had ended and the winner got it for 10 pounds.

Last night, the seller would only post to the UK, so I sent them a message asking would they send to Ireland, and she said she would, and again waited until there was 30 seconds left, and went to bid on it, and it wouldnt let me because the seller didnt send to my location and I should contact the seller.

Disheartened and pissed off, I looked on Adverts.ie again, and 3 hours previously someone had posted an ad for one for 30 euro, and it turns out they live 10 miles from my parents, so job done.

Thank you adverts.ie, and thanks to everyone here for their help. Though I will now be saving up for an n95, for the next time I want to upgrade.

Advertisement