Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pickpockets at the Galway Races!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Equally, keep a hold of the handbag and wallet when you catch sight of the Roma flower sellers in town.

Have heard from several sources that they're not averse to relieving you of your wallet if the opportunity arises.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

I wonder are the indo getting confused again between Roma and Romanian.
    Roma folk come from many different places not just Romania.
    Many Irish think they are the same thing, to the disgust of my Romanian friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Adorable little scamps, That's a new one though, didn't know they used scalpels. Any time I see the ones selling flowers I give them a wide berth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Adorable little scamps,
    Gardaí
    "It's a nasty, ruthless crime..."

Care to re-think that?

If I was unlucky enough to realise this was happening to me. man or woman, I'd find it hard not to try to kick the **** into them.

Unfortunately this isn't a new thing. I was working in a fairly known pub in town a couple years back when someone was ordering a pint at the bar, and felt a push up against him. His wallet was missing - apparently he had had a lucky day at the races - there was in excess of €3,000 in there. We found the wallet emptied in the toilets.

• Advertisement

Care to re-think that?

sarcasm.jpg

New to sarcasm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Wompa1 wrote: »
    New to sarcasm?
    You've come out with some real gems in the past, so it's not always that easy to detect when it is or is not sarcasm.

Back on topic, I'm always wary of my wallet in town, but these people are highly skilled and practiced so you are basically at their mercy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

these people are highly skilled and practiced so you are basically at their mercy.

But you're really not though? I've grown tired of people like my folks telling me there are pickpockets out there that can relieve you of your money and underwear from accross a busy train platform if they so wish. It's not magic.

I've never been dipped, and have been to some hairy places/countries over the years. My wallet is fairly large, and I'm definitely gonna feel it if it's comin out of my jeans pocket, which is where I keep it. If anyone gets in my personal space in public I kind of automatically rest my hand on my pocket.

Back on topic, I'm always wary of my wallet in town, but these people are highly skilled and practiced so you are basically at their mercy.

Well, that's true, but at the risk of sounding somewhat naive, I always find that glaring at them, while very obviously tucking your bag under and in other words letting them know that you know that they're there means that they move on ... probably to other victims but at least you've made it obvious they've been spotted.

They're the parasites of the street. Absolutely vile without a moral bone in their body.

consultech wrote: »
    But you're really not though? I've grown tired of people like my folks telling me there are pickpockets out there that can relieve you of your money and underwear from accross a busy train platform if they so wish. It's not magic.

I've never been dipped, and have been to some hairy places/countries over the years. My wallet is fairly large, and I'm definitely gonna feel it if it's comin out of my jeans pocket, which is where I keep it. If anyone gets in my personal space in public I kind of automatically rest my hand on my pocket.

Exactly, they can only get stuff out of loose pockets, basically pockets that aren't tight to the body. The outside pocket of a suit being the main one, inside if its unbuttoned, back pocket in jeans as things have a tendency to rise out slowly(as anyone would know if they put a bottle of beer in there).

Anything in a front jeans pocket is fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Granted the main reason I wear a messenger style handbag is because I'm too lazy to bother putting much effort into carrying a regular one, but it does have the advantage of being harder to swipe off me as someone runs past. It's also pretty much a labyrinth of openings and zips and black hole singularities and stuff so they'd have difficulty finding my wallet. I can't even do it half the time....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Equally, keep a hold of the handbag and wallet when you catch sight of the Roma flower sellers in town.

Have heard from several sources that they're not averse to relieving you of your wallet if the opportunity arises.
    What are these sources?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

biko wrote: »
    What are these sources?

Are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Just keep an eye out for a fella called paddy power. That fecker has emptied my wallet twice so far!

What are these sources?

honestly biko, if you don't know anyone who's been robbed by a roma you don't talk to enough people.

I can name five people in various parts of the world off the top of my head straight away.

The reason I asked is that when someone say "stay away from the Roma flower sellers, they are thieves" it sounds like racism to me. Particularly when the sources are not disclosed.

If these "sources" are people down the pub then it's hearsay, if it links to news or Garda statements then I'd like to see them.

Edit: I'm not talking about the people in the OP now, I'm asking HardyEustace about what sources he bases his statement to avoid Roma flower sellers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

Couldnt access that article in work as it is blocked so apologies if anything below is in the article.

My relations are bookies at the races and see some of the same pickpocketer faces every year doing very well for themselves. A time one guy strikes is when everyone mills forward towards the bookies to place their bets or collect after a race. Anybody with money in back pockets has a huge target on their back. he stands next to them with a rolled up newspaper and slips his hand in, takes the wallet and another guy walks past him and takes it off him and disappears into the crowd. They have reported him to the guards and the guards know who he is at this stage but I suppose its all so quick that its hard to catch him with the wallet in him.

One thing they have said is that an time the announcement about pickpocketers is made everyone automatically puts their hand to the place where they store their wallet, thus making it very easy for a pickpocketer who is watching to know where you have it stored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

The reason I asked is that when someone say "stay away from the Roma flower sellers, they are thieves" it sounds like racism to me. Particularly when the sources are not disclosed.

If these "sources" are people down the pub then it's hearsay, if it links to news or Garda statements then I'd like to see them.

Well he's hardly going to pop mobile numbers in his post so that we can verify his story, is he?

I'd love to see you test your PC anti-racist attitude next time they approach you by closing your eyes and putting your hands in the air.

They're in Ireland for a reason, and various gangs such as those from Bulgaria are renowned the world over for pick pocketing. I'm not entirely sure what "sources" you need?

You've come out with some real gems in the past, so it's not always that easy to detect when it is or is not sarcasm.

I like to keep people guessing. Although the tip off may have been when I said I'd give them a wide berth.

I would also suggest to spread the money over several pockets.

Don't put your handbag down out of sight, I know a girl that was distracted by an English guy for a light and when she bent down to get her handbag it was gone. We're fairly sure he was in cahoots with the robber.

Keep anything valuable in the hotel, only carry what you will use that night in cash.

• Advertisement

Edit: I'm not talking about the people in the OP now, I'm asking HardyEustace about what sources he bases his statement to avoid Roma flower sellers on.

No I get it... but I was actually present at one of these instances when my friend and I were surrounded by roma flower sellers in Spain. They were pushing into us obviously trying to get at our pockets. My friend lost a substantial amount of cash (particularly as we were only 15/16 and didn't have that much cash to begin with) and I was only saved because I had a money wallet on under my jumper.

Someone else got robbed at the tour eifel the following year (although I didn't see it) and I had one friend who chased a small roma boy through the streets of dublin as he'd taken his wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Kinda like bankers, but without the suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

What are these sources?

The cops cracking down on them is good enough for me anyway. Offering sex down an alleyway, and you get robbed at the same time. Be particularly careful down SHop Street/ Upper Abbeygate St (CPs/Halo) and on Kirwan's Lane outside Buskers Slatehouse door.

Or the entire 'boozing stretch' during Race Week :)
    Gangs of Roma gypsies regularly target drunken men in the city centre, offering to perform acts for €50 – in many cases, the ‘customer’ then has their wallet stolen, and many are reluctant to make formal complaints to Gardaí because of the circumstances.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/14093-garda%C3%AD-target-race-week-prostitution-ring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I keep my wallet in my front pocket when in a big crowd or if I have jeans on I fold my cash and stick it in the little watch pocket.

Well, the sources are friends of friends who have been pick pocketed by them. I'm hardly going print names and details. The newspapers don't report these crimes on specific cases as it's so frequent at this stage.

As another poster pointed out, you don't have to ask too far to find someone that it's happened to. I don't think they're out selling flowers wrapped in a bit of plastic for the good of their health. They're only there to target drunken, distracted i.e. vulnerable people.

And there are NUMEROUS reports in the media of various Roma gangs and scams. I'm just highlighting one of the numerous ways that they go about pickpocketing.

Just as a general comment, I'm bloody sick of the wringing hand brigade and their PC ways. Thieves and robbers deserve justice not sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Even worse when people cover the hoardings near B&Q with abusive graffiti directed at Roma.

The same thing used to be said about the Irish so we should know what discrimination feels like.

Anyone, anywhere can get pickpocketed. It happened to me on the London tube. I felt the hand & saw a young chap. I put my hand in my pocket, clasped his hand & pulled the fingers apart rather hard. He got off at the next stop to examine his fingers !. I remember reading about a chap who enjoyed stitching some razor blades to a fake wallet & waiting for the scream !.

Discodog wrote: »
    Anyone, anywhere can get pickpocketed.

True that.
    Sadly at the moment in Ireland you're most likely to be pick pocketed by a member of the Roma community.
    They are discrimated against so can't get jobs so resort to stealing, so get discrimated against. Vicious circle.

harryd2 wrote: »
    True that.
    Sadly at the moment in Ireland you're most likely to be pick pocketed by a member of the Roma community.
    They are discrimated against so can't get jobs so resort to stealing, so get discrimated against. Vicious circle.

Eh, other people that don't have jobs don't resort to stealing.

Eh, other people that don't have jobs don't resort to stealing.

many jobless with no welfare do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

By Brian McDonald

Wednesday July 28 2010

GARDAI have warned racegoers in Galway to be on the alert for a gang of pickpockets using scalpels to slice open jackets and handbags.

In an incident yesterday a punter was wounded after a scalpel sliced his abdomen during an attempt to rob his wallet.

After he discovered his wallet was missing, he reported the loss to gardai at Ballybrit. Only then was it brought to his attention that he appeared to be bleeding from his lower abdomen.

Medical attention was summoned for the man, who was completely unaware that he had sustained a nasty cut. He received a number of minor stitches.

Gardai then took him aside to fill him in on the background to his injury. He had fallen prey to what gardai in Galway believe is a Romanian gang of thieves who are tracking vulnerable racegoers and holidaymakers armed with scalpels.

When the opportunity arises in the crowds they slice the bottom of a jacket or trousers pocket to allow a wallet to fall away easily into their hands.

Injured

"It's a nasty, ruthless crime and thankfully this man was not too badly injured. He was more shocked at what had happened than anything else," a senior garda spokesman told the Irish Independent.

The scalpel-wielding gang have also been targeting women, slicing open the bottom of handbags to make off with purses.

"We want to warn racegoers at the track and also in the busy pubs and city-centre streets at night that these people are in town for the big week. They should be particularly careful in crowded situations and avoid carrying large sums of money if at all possible," the spokesman added.

Meanwhile, a crackdown on camper vans and mobile homes parking along Salthill promenade and other scenic areas of the city has forced some racegoers off Galway's streets and into pay-as-you-go caravan parks.

Galway City Council was on the receiving end of numerous complaints following an influx of camper vans parking along the main tourist area in Salthill for last year's racing festival.

As well as blocking the scenery for seaside strollers, the camper van occupants had taken to using the facilities of local businesses "on the cheap" every morning.

- Brian McDonald

Irish Independent

Funny how they believe it was a romanian gang of thieves When he didn't know he was robbed until he looked for his wallet and there was no report of anyone seeing the offence... Anyone could have done it, from any backround..
    With the galway races, and any other places where there will be a lot of people with other things on their mind, there will be pickpockets/thieves... Always was, always will be...

Advertisement