Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dilema - allowing pup in the river after he got cut?!?!

Options
  • 28-07-2010 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says I have a dilema with my 1 year old retriever. He cut his paw a month ago while playing in the river - it was quite deep and the vets tried staples and stitches before having to cut the flap off because it just wouldn't knit - the whole process took 4 weeks and 7 tips to the vets (he's insured thank god) he's only been allowed off his lead since Friday of last week.
    As some of you know he's had some problems with his hind legs so I got him swimming a few months ago to try and build his legs up a little in the water so it's easier on him than the grass etc - I had him in the water for around 20 mins each day and he seemed much stronger in his legs.
    This morning we were in the park and he was off the lead (our park allows them off before 11:00) and running along the river bank ...next thing he jumps down into the river and has a little swim!!:eek: He was delighted with himself swimming around in circles and was looking at me to throw him sticks etc.:rolleyes:
    So now I'm not sure what to do - should I let him in and risk him getting cut again (the part he was in today wasn't where he got cut - it looks cleaner) or play it safe and not let him in again? We're going to ucd in 2 weeks so they can take a look and see if his leg(s) need to be pinned so one one hand I feel a bit guilty not letting him enjoy himself now in case he does need the surgery and is out of action for weeks!?! :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

He could get a cut just walking along the grass on down the street so I wouldn't worry too much, can't wrap them up in cotton wool and if the swimming is helping his legs then it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Is there anywhere a bit more secluded you could bring him to go swimming? People don't like to walk out very far to go drinking :)

It really is a shame how much glass is about everywhere though. It makes me really nervous because we had a dog cut his paw on glass years ago and it was a nightmare... so I know exactly where you're coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

He could get a cut just walking along the grass on down the street so I wouldn't worry too much, can't wrap them up in cotton wool and if the swimming is helping his legs then it's worth it.

Yeah thats what I was thinking too - there doesn't seem to be as much derbis etc down this end of the river. He was so happy swimming around so I'll let him in again I think...but not over the weekend because he's going to be groomed on Friday lol :pac:

Advertisement