Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Carina E - when will it stop?!

Options

Comments

manatoo wrote: »
    which citroen? what year? my sis has a C5 2006. €700 for suspensions bearing at 90,000 miles. ouch!

Every car someone mentions on this thread other than a f ing Carina you spout off a list of problems that your friend, sister etc experience with one, Citroen, Land Rover, BMW, Fiat ....................

You seem to know it all yet changing gear box oil or cleaning a throttle body is beyond you.

You also reckon 130 000 miles on a Carina is impressive.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

to be fair Roverjames, id say everyone in ireland knows someone that has had a bad experience with a citroen, renault and fiat.

Although, 130k on a carina is hardly impressive! There have been models of that year with double that mileage at least that pass the NCT each 2 years with flying colors

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭manatoo

Thanks MaxPower! Never thought I'd have to defend taking a position against junk like the above!!!!

And I'm not saying 131 is big mileage, was just talking about having no repair bills for 70,000 miles of motoring over 5 years beginning w hen the car was 10 yrs old

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Thanks MaxPower! Never thought I'd have to defend taking a position against junk like the above!!!!

And I'm not saying 131 is big mileage, was just talking about having no repair bills for 70,000 miles of motoring over 5 years beginning w hen the car was 10 yrs old
    It's not really junk. You have lambasted anyone who mentioned reliability on any other car make. Loads of 10 year old cars will do another 70k miles with no maintenance.
    I think it's time to end this thread. The Carina E was a very reliable car no doubt. But it's not the bee-all-and-end-all of motoring. By todays standards it's not a very nice car to drive. It's not near as safe as todays cars. It has probably around half the power. They were always fairly light at the back, although part of the problem was Toyota Ireland's decision to raise the suspension a little on the Irish models to cope with our roads.
    Many cars are reliable, modern cars are gone too complex to be cheap to maintain, there's more to life and motoring than reliability, the end.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    By todays standards it's not a very nice car to drive. It's not near as safe as todays cars. It has probably around half the power. They were always fairly light at the back, although part of the problem was Toyota Ireland's decision to raise the suspension a little on the Irish models to cope with our roads.

In fact I dont think the Carina was as nice to drive or as safe or as desirable as cars of its own genre either, especially the French models which were far in excess of it in these areas. And you're telling me I lambasted them - I'm only giving my own experience, believe me I would mention if I had a single example of a french/italan model giving high mileage, I just dont have one!

All I'm saying is you can't deny the sheer numbers of taxis/private Carina E's still rumbling around the roads for better or worse today. Ask yourself when the last time you saw an early 90s laguna was or better still mondeo, a car that sold in far greater numbers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

There is always some reason why some car models are driven around longer than others,

so there have to be something with Carina E that supports to keep it on the road so long time,

usually the reason why car is scrapped is economical, so if you see older cars in the road, then the car is built good enough, that it is economical to keep it on the road.

I think it is the same reason, why you see old MK1 Volvo S40 for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭BrianD3

One thing with Carina E is, while there may be many still driving about, there were also loads sold here new. Most Carina Es have been scrapped at this stage but because they were everywhere when new there is still a healthy number of them left.

When mywheels was free I went through hundreds of registrations looking at tax expiry dates of older cars. If tax is expired by more than a few months the car is probably scrapped or at least unroadworthy. A large % of cars (including Toyotas) older than about 1998 had expired tax.

Also, the more popular (for whatever reason) a 2nd hand car is the more likely it is to be kept going. A 10 year old Renault that needs 500 quid spent on it is more likely to be scrapped than a 10 year old Toyota that needs 500 quid spent on it. An obvious example of this is older Mercedes cars. Lots of W124s and 190s still driving about. A major factor in this is that the cars were still worth something and worth fixing at 10 or more years old.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Also, the more popular (for whatever reason) a 2nd hand car is the more likely it is to be kept going. A 10 year old Renault that needs 500 quid spent on it is more likely to be scrapped than a 10 year old Toyota that needs 500 quid spent on it. An obvious example of this is older Mercedes cars. Lots of W124s and 190s still driving about. A major factor in this is that the cars were still worth something and worth fixing at 10 or more years old.

Thats definitely a good point and I'm sure this explains a portion of the reason but theres still no way it explains away the extra numbers of some cars above others. No matter what car someone has, when it gets to big mileage and 10+ years and the engine or tranny goes pop people dont get them fixed carina or not

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

BrianD3 wrote: »
    An obvious example of this is older Mercedes cars. Lots of W124s and 190s still driving about. A major factor in this is that the cars were still worth something and worth fixing at 10 or more years old.

Yeah my Allroad had 160k on it when I sold it (thats a Audi's bulletproof twin turbo V6 2.7 litre, turbos replaced but no engine work done). Our 530i has 155k (Vanos unit swapped). My Alfa JTD has 133k and my V12 850CSi has 114k and its 17 years old. However, all of these cars while worth a lot more than a Carina, have had massive amounts of time and money spent on them to keep them running nicely (well, maybe the Alfa hasnt before I got it).

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Yeah my Allroad had 160k on it when I sold it (thats a Audi's bulletproof twin turbo V6 2.7 litre, turbos replaced but no engine work done). Our 530i has 155k (Vanos unit swapped). My Alfa JTD has 133k and my V12 850CSi has 114k and its 17 years old. However, all of these cars while worth a lot more than a Carina, have had massive amounts of time and money spent on them to keep them running nicely (well, maybe the Alfa hasnt before I got it).

See thats the thing - the money being spent on them...

What alfa is that btw? I've made a deal with myself that when/if the carina goes pop Im buying myself one of those 159 2.4 JTDs. 200Bhp and 40 to the gallon!! Most beautiful saloon on the market today bar none and I dont care if it spends more time in the garage than on the road!! I've served more than my fair share of Carina time!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Well it did All The Way Round without a grumble, 800 miles in 3 days and is still quite able.

Off to Maynooth in the morning.

:)

Well done for doing the event, 800 miles in 3 days is no exercise for a car though as we all know.

2275 miles in 3 weeks, zero problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

gold-medal.jpg

HA thanks for the medal!!

EPM wrote: »
    picture
    I presume you were being sarcastic EPM?

Ive done nearly 2,000 miles in the last few weeks in a 96 fiesta so its not exactly difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I see your:
    EPM wrote: »
    gold-medal.jpg

And raise to:
    BP11badge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

4.5 miles an hour, I knew the old toyotas were bog slow but thats ridiculous.

kodute wrote: »
    4.5 miles an hour, I knew the old toyotas were bog slow but thats ridiculous.

Cripes it takes a special kind of retardation to come up with the above :eek:

:rolleyes:

One would suggest that your bragging about a non distinguishable "achievement" was less noteworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I presume you were being sarcastic EPM?

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Infracted for personal abuse.

-Chris- wrote: »
    Infracted for personal abuse.

oops sorry didnt know there was a rule! what is the rule anyway? how does it work?

oops sorry didnt know there was a rule! what is the rule anyway? how does it work?

Read the charter ;)

same as every other boards forum.

No personal abuse!

(/off topic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

No worries, the link to the Charter's in my signature.

The basic principle is "attack the post, not the poster", and unfortunately you crossed that line.

PM me if you need any further information or if you have any queries.

Thanks

-Chris- wrote: »
    No worries, the link to the Charter's in my signature.

The basic principle is "attack the post, not the poster", and unfortunately you crossed that line.

PM me if you need any further information or if you have any queries.

Thanks

Sounds fair. Apologies MaxPower!

Sounds fair. Apologies MaxPower!

Kodute is the chap you attacked ;)

RoverJames wrote: »
    Kodute is the chap you attacked ;)

dang, apologies kodute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

177440 Miles on mine now, had it down in Maynooth again this morning and not a pip out of it.

Drove the car for All the way round and i can honestly say that it trundled away quite happily 1st day was Dublin-Derry second day was Derry-Kerry and the third day was Kerry-Dublin.

The car in front is a Carina :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement