Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registered Post-- No return address

Options
  • 28-07-2010 10:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

hi,

i recently posted something to the uk by registered post.
    have been tracking it online and last activity was 24/07/2010 when attempted delivery was made.
    However, there was 'no answer at address'' and is currently in the depot waiting collection.
    i have contacted the recipient about this but no response.
    an post have told me it will be kept for 5-7 working days before sending it back to me.
    The item has no return address on it.
    However, if it ends up not being collected, will it be sent back to the post office it was sent from or what?

any help would be great !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If there's no return address on the envelope, then Royal Mail will open it to see if there's an address inside. If there isn't, then it goes into the big pile of undeliverable mail, and will probably never be seen again.

You'll probably need to make contact with Royal Mail about getting it returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

If it was something that the person wanted at the other end, would you not contact them and let them know that it is awaiting collection in their sorting office?

Problem with UK just like Ireland, is sorting offices are not open on evenings / weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

How were you allowed post it without supplying a return address, that section is on the registration form for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

How were you allowed post it without supplying a return address, that section is on the registration form for a reason.

used t be, but now it's just zap and send at the post office; no more forms to fill except for customs if it's outside the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I had a situation like this where a person sent me a parcel (even though they knew I was on holidays:confused:). I wasn't there to sign for it. It went back to the mailing centre where it was held. I rang customer service and was told that because there was no return address it was being held.

I contacted the sender who rang customer service and they gave their address. The item was sent back to them and they resent it to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

they are obliged to store it at your depot for 5 days
    then they keep it in athlone mail centre for a further weeek or so
    after that it supposedly gets returned to the post service of the country it came from

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It will be returned unopened to the An Post Returned Letter Branch if the addressee does not call for it. You can claim it by filling in a form, giving the Tracking number should be enough but you might want to call them again just to check.

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/GeneralTemplates/FAQ.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID=%7b6947AB34-1C54-478A-912C-90392E98C21F%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fAnPost%2fFAQs%2fPostalFAQs%2ehtm&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#RLB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 louisolouis

ok thanks for all the help.

have contacted the addressee but no response ?
    maybe they are away?

will wait until Tuesday to see if anything happens. as long as it wont disappear off the face of the earth i'll be happy - even if i have to resend it !!!

will keep ye updated one something happens :-)

thanks again :)

Advertisement