Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations for a bike...

• 28-07-2010 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

Hope this is okay to post here,

I'm 6'3 and I'm 18st at the moment, but the plan is to be down a lot less by the end of the year,

and I'm looking for a bike, I want to spend about 250-500 Euro's, but if needed I'll go a bit higher,

and I'm quite tall and I plan to use it quite a lot, so it's needs to be comfortable, according to size charts I should look for a 22'' or 23'' frame, but from looking around I haven't come across any bigger than 22'' and the 22'' frame bikes I do find, there is very little options,

I was looking for full suspension but for someone who would be doing little off road cycling, would it be needed?, I just thought it would make the bike more comfortable to cycle, and it seems a lot of mountain bikes comes with some type of suspension,

this is one bike I was looking at, http://tiny.cc/nifp5 it's a Halfords bike, anyways I hope you guys can help me out,

thanks in advance...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

id advise you spend an extra couple of cuid and goto a proper shop. i've heard very bad stories about halfords bikes. not sure about dublin shops but if your down around the south worldwidecycles is good and they deliver i think. if your not gointa be goin off road much, then probably better off with just the front suspension(if any) or just go with a hibred and dont bother with the off road. 500 - 800 euro is probably low to mid end price range id say, i think giant do some of the best deals on complete bikes

with a proper bike shop your gointa get a bike thats put together properly, as most bike shops are run by ex-racers or people who've been cycling or around bikes all their lives.

go onto worldwidecycles website (.com) and have a look. most proper shops will order you the right size if they dont have it in stock. only takes a vouple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭endurodave

As mark has already said try go to a local bike shop as there will be trained mechanics on hand and will be more helpfull than halfords staff.

For starting off id opt for a hardtail but if your set on a full suspension go for it.

As for brands i would recommend giant or specialized have bikes from both brands and cant fault them.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

After reading around the forum and also this thread,

here is a couple that pop up from time to time,

http://tinyurl.com/25ej5pc - Giant Talon 2 Disc Bike '10

and

http://tinyurl.com/3xusb55 - Lapierre Tecnic 400 Bike '10

and the

http://tinyurl.com/3yeh5dt - Cube Attention Bike '10

Is there much of a difference between ''A-headset 1""1/8 Black'' brakes and the ''Giant Root hydraulic disc, 160mm rotors'' brakes that come with the Giant Talon 2, and the ''Hayes Stroker Ryde hydr. Discbrake (160/160mm)'' brakes,

and there all available from the Cycle Superstore in Tallaght, would they be a good shop to go have a look?...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭endurodave

To be honest they are all as good as each other best thing to do is pop into the shop and have a look and ride them to see witch one you like most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Cremated wrote: »
    I was looking for full suspension but for someone who would be doing little off road cycling, would it be needed?,
    In a word, no.

In more words.... You won't need it for comfort if you're not going off road. It will slow you down. People will be passing you out on the road. At that price point the suspension not going to be very good. That goes for front suspension also.

Whats good for cycling I think is getting the maxiumum amount of speed for the minimum amount of effort. I'd get a hybrid or a road bike. You'll get a much more pleasurable experience if you go without suspension.

I've told this before but a mate of mine was commuting on a roadbike, switched to his mountain bike for comfort, lasted a few days and went back to the roadbike. And hasn't used the MTB since (except for actual mountain biking). Speed is what you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,840 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Definitely better off getting a road bike, but probably best off getting a hybrid. You're not going to be competing in races any time soon so you don't need an ultra light feather with spandex pants but you don't want to be wasting all your energy putting it into the suspension of a mountain bike and being kept back by the ultra grip tyres either. If you get a hybrid you'll be good for the road and also good for offroad trails - as opposed to mountains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 healthygirl

u can get a trek 1.2 in 62cm for approx €700 which should be big enough for u, might need to upgrade the wheels due to ur weight though (as i did - Mavic CXP 33 @ €179)

Advertisement