Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 4 in Waterford

• 28-07-2010 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭

For anybody thats getting one,three have just released their prices http://www.three.ie/iphone/index.htm,and the Waterford shop will be opening at 00:01 on Thursday night,if o2 or Vodafone dont come up with better tariffs or there shops wont be opening at the same time then you will see me down Blackfriars tomorrow night,do you think there will be many around?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

It's hard to tell how many people will turn up and go for it, I reckon there will be enough stock for anyone to walk in without pre-booking one. iPhone 4 is currently behind the curve in terms of smart phone functionality and the well publicised problems in the past few weeks would be enough to put most people off. It has put me off even remotely considering it and the current laggy performance of my 3G iPhone with the new software, (which corrupted my backup and wiped my photos/contacts) doesn't give me hope for the next OS updates down the line for the iPhone 4.

In before anyone says hard reset the phone, I'm up to a dozen hard resets or so :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

witless1 wrote: »
    It's hard to tell how many people will turn up and go for it, I reckon there will be enough stock for anyone to walk in without pre-booking one. iPhone 4 is currently behind the curve in terms of smart phone functionality and the well publicised problems in the past few weeks would be enough to put most people off. It has put me off even remotely considering it and the current laggy performance of my 3G iPhone with the new software, (which corrupted my backup and wiped my photos/contacts) doesn't give me hope for the next OS updates down the line for the iPhone 4.

In before anyone says hard reset the phone, I'm up to a dozen hard resets or so :(

It cant be pre-booked,its been sold on a first come first served basis thats why i was wondering if there will be many people queuing in town for it,but if Voadfone and o2 do the same as three and open at midnight then i cant see there been any problems in getting one at midnight.

I'm sorry but you cant really compare the iPhone 4 to the performance your getting on the 3G,ive a 3GS with iOS4 and haven't experienced any problems with it,although the problem with the antenna on the new iphone did make think about not buying it,but ill just wait and see when i get the phone no point in worrying about it now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

I ain't comparing the performance of them directly considering the hardware is 2 generations behind the software :) I'm thinking 2 or 3 OS patches down the line how the hardware will perform then.

The 3GS seems to be ok with the latest software but anyone I talked to about the 3G seem to be in the same boat -- lag with typing, going into photos takes ~5s, looking through contacts is painful. Worst (and best) thing is it is not consistent which adds to the frustration :D

I have used the iPhone 4 briefly in an Apple store though and it is quick and certainly looks shiny but not enough to sway me personally with the alternatives around. Good luck getting it though, let us know what you think of it and hopefully the antenna won't cause any hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

For anybody thats getting one,three have just released their prices http://www.three.ie/iphone/index.htm,and the Waterford shop will be opening at 00:01 on Thursday night

So is that tonight then or tommorrow night seen as though 00:01 on thursday is tonight????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It launches on Friday. 00:01 Friday then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Kahless wrote: »
    It launches on Friday. 00:01 Friday then.

Thanks!

So is that tonight then or tommorrow night seen as though 00:01 on thursday is tonight????

Yes Thursday night Friday morning whichever you prefer...

For anybody that is planning on going into three tonight,i would suggest going in today and filling out the forms so all you have to do tonight is collect the phone,i just done it myself all you need is photo ID and a bill,if your changing networks make sure to have your current network account with you..

Well anybody else get one? I was down three last night at around 11:30,there was about 15 people there,i was surprised i didnt even think there would be that many...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well anybody else get one? I was down three last night at around 11:30,there was about 15 people there,i was surprised i didnt even think there would be that many...

Drove past at 12.45 - not a sinner about and it was still open!

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Drove past at 12.45 - not a sinner about and it was still open!

Yeah they were open till 2am according to the security guard,i left the shop around 12:25 and there was only a couple of people left,they must of got sorted by 12:45..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

I waited outside o2 from 17:45 until 08.00 the following morning (14 hours but i was the first in the Que) had a great laugh with the other lads getting it

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

2Bv¬2B wrote: »
    I waited outside o2 from 17:45 until 08.00 the following morning (14 hours but i was the first in the Que) had a great laugh with the other lads getting it

Were there many outside O2 store just before they opened, and did ye all manage to get one.

I saw a few people outside there but i thought to myself that they couldn't be waiting for the iPhone,fair play to you i wouldn't of done it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Why? Dear God why

Why? Dear God why

Why what? Why queue 14 hours? Why go to three at midnight? Why buy the iPhone 4? Why is the sky blue? Why are dogs noses always wet? :)

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

You need to get out more if thats the most ridiculous thing you've ever heard.

Lol. The irony.

Yes i see the irony,but not all us iPhone owners are geeks.

• Advertisement

I know sure I have one myself ;-). I just wouldn't queue up to buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Im queuing up.. That queue is 3 weeks long!

Feck your 14 hours :p

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Fair play to them I say. I would give my right arm for one, even if it did mean having to hold it in my left hand and feck up the signal :P

People queued days early for Harry Potter books. I walked past a queue 2 blocks long in San Francisco of people waiting for the iPad. If you're that excited about it and you've nothing better to do then I don't see the problem. Anyway half the fun is the banter you have in the queue with people just as mad as you are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Gotta agree! queing is great craic. sure whats the harm. love an iphone but i really dont want to give up my free net and texts with meteor. =s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

If you're getting one from the Voda store, be careful what they tell you.

My business partner went in there at 9am to get two iPhones on upgrades, and it took nearly an hour and a half before we were done, including waiting for me to drive in there because they said he wasn't authorised to do an upgrade - which wasn't true.

Then he nearly had to get a lock of hair from his firstborn as identification (I exaggerate for effect slightly) even though he had a wallet full of ID and a folder full of VF bills, and even though he got customer service on the phone and they said all was OK.

Then when we had finally arrived at the office, half our working day spent, we get a call from the shop saying don't use data for 2 weeks until your billing period ends, as we'd get charged a lot.

But that's completely wrong, the contract she'd asked us to sign expressly states that customers who sign midway through a billing period will be given 1GB of data immediately.

So she should read the contract properly herself, I think.

All in all, a terrible experience in one of the worst ever Vodafone shops.

Andy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

Daysha wrote: »
    Fair play to them I say. I would give my right arm for one, even if it did mean having to hold it in my left hand and feck up the signal :P

I have no idea what people are talking about, there is nothing wrong with the signal, I've had no problem at all using it, (with or without a case for it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yeah they must have sent us a fixed batch..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I have no idea what people are talking about, there is nothing wrong with the signal, I've had no problem at all using it, (with or without a case for it)

No, thats a spurious story - the iPhone 4's reception is no better or worse than many other smartphones.

A.

I haven't had any of the "death grip" problems,dont know what all the fuss was about..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Ireland's networks have done a pretty good job coverage wise. The AT&T network is under a lot of stress on a nearly constant basis and it's difficult to get reliable service even in metropolitan areas. We tend to have much better signal strength over here so have a bit of wiggle room when it comes to the less than optimally designed antenna.

Advertisement