Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to New Zealand!

Options
  • 28-07-2010 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭

Right in going to new Zealand in October for an unknown amount of time, probably a year. Just hav a few small questions I would like answered if possible! I'm going to be working on a farm in the south island, what's the story as regards opening a bank account? How do you go about that?

Next thing is mobile phone providers, no need for a phone just a sim-card, is mobile Internet/3G popular over there?? Seen vodafone's website and there rates look to be ok. What other providers are there?

Next question is regards buying a car, is car insurance expensive? What's the story with road tax?? Is my Irish no claims bonus any use to me over there?

Think that's all questions for the moment, would be grateful for any help.

Thanks, can't wait to go!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

C0N0R wrote: »
    Right in going to new Zealand in October for an unknown amount of time, probably a year. Just hav a few small questions I would like answered if possible! I'm going to be working on a farm in the south island, what's the story as regards opening a bank account? How do you go about that?

Just drop in with your passport when you get here - takes about 10 mins

Next thing is mobile phone providers, no need for a phone just a sim-card, is mobile Internet/3G popular over there?? Seen vodafone's website and there rates look to be ok. What other providers are there?

Not sure, im with Vodafone myself and they are excellent for ringing irish landlines - 1 hour for $2, used to be 2 hours...its far cheaper for me to ring home than to ring a local number here...crazy - Not sure about mobile internet, I don't think rates are great here but there are a few providers (Telecom, Vodafone, 2Degrees - someone else may know better)

Next question is regards buying a car, is car insurance expensive? What's the story with road tax?? Is my Irish no claims bonus any use to me over there?

You don't need Car insurance here in NZ - (Everyone pays ACC levies through Tax and this goes towards paying for injuries etc) but it is cheap anyway and yes your No Claims will count over here...

Think that's all questions for the moment, would be grateful for any help.

Thanks, can't wait to go!!

By the way where in the south Island are you going?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭C0N0R

I'm heading for a town twenty kms from Christchurch, darfield. Thanks for the response, is cartax expensive?? Would I be correct to assume that cars are more expensive over there than here? And say for example if I buy a performance car will the "insurance" cost the same as a normal car??

I'm heading for a town twenty kms from Christchurch, darfield. Thanks for the response, is cartax expensive?? Would I be correct to assume that cars are more expensive over there than here? And say for example if I buy a performance car will the "insurance" cost the same as a normal car??

sorry man, I'm not too sure - I'm in Wellington and have zero need for a car - its great :) - Car's are not expensive here though but you do need to get a road worthy cert or something every 6 months (someone with a car can fill you in)

As for a performance car in Chch - they loves their hooning down there...so much so they brought in these mad laws that if you 'cruise' down a street more than once you can be done for it....

Well I won't be cruising anywhere!! I just love cars, for me there a thing of enjoyment rather than a utility tool as such. Thanks for the help, can't make October come quicker can you!

Well I won't be cruising anywhere!! I just love cars, for me there a thing of enjoyment rather than a utility tool as such. Thanks for the help, can't make October come quicker can you!

well the NZ definition of cruising is driving down the same street more than once within an hour - God help you ever get lost!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Na they wont pinch you if you are lost or just driving around the place normally they are just going after the hoons that drive around the 4 ave's in CHCH for hours on end keeping everyone awake! I used to live just off fitz ave and every friday and sat night you could hear them go right up to 4-5 in the morning. Of course if you owned a motel or a guesthouse near these ave's your customers wouldnt be too happy, so these laws are just a reflection of this. The cops there arent like they are at home, not out to get you for stupid little reasons....

Car tax is cheap. they call it a reg over there. Cant remember how much it was but I had a 2lt turbo subaru and it was only about $100 for 6 months. Thats about 50 euro!! Also WOF (Warrent of Fitness) is a must but again very cheap! about $45 to get one. Of course if there is something worng with the car you will need to get it fixed before you get it. If you are into your cars its quite cheap to get a monster 3 or 4 lt second hand car and run it for next to nothing!

Yea cars are soooo cheap in NZ compared to home

jank wrote: »
    Na they wont pinch you if you are lost or just driving around the place normally they are just going after the hoons that drive around the 4 ave's in CHCH for hours on end keeping everyone awake! I used to live just off fitz ave and every friday and sat night you could hear them go right up to 4-5 in the morning. Of course if you owned a motel or a guesthouse near these ave's your customers wouldnt be too happy, so these laws are just a reflection of this. The cops there arent like they are at home, not out to get you for stupid little reasons....

ah yeah I know - just on paper these laws sound mental - the difference in the application of the law and approach of the police makes funny sounding laws here actually make sense...they do seem to be there for practical application and not some tool to be abused by Gardai

NZ is odd like that - I always got a laugh of the Never Shake a Baby campaign as you would wonder why on earth would you need an add campaing like that -todays incident shines a different light on that altogether

jank wrote: »

Car tax is cheap. they call it a reg over there. Cant remember how much it was but I had a 2lt turbo subaru and it was only about $100 for 6 months. Thats about 50 euro!! Also WOF (Warrent of Fitness) is a must but again very cheap! about $45 to get one. Of course if there is something worng with the car you will need to get it fixed before you get it. If you are into your cars its quite cheap to get a monster 3 or 4 lt second hand car and run it for next to nothing!

Yea cars are soooo cheap in NZ compared to home
    This make me rather happy! Thank you, can't wait to go now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

If you like cars New Zealand is fantastic. Tons of very cheap but good condition jap imports are on the market and there's a massive second hand parts scene so its easy maintain cars for cheap. Lots of big v6 and v8 fords and holdens also if you want muscle. Parts for European cars can be very dear but there are some fantastic condition jap-import BMWs and Audis if you don't mind paying a premium to maintain. As emissions arent tested during its WOF/NCT you can get away with a lot of stuff as long as its not dangerous or rusting. I've got a 1.620V Toyota Levin that I bought for 2900 at auction last year, seriously fast but also very reliable and economical if i drive it easy. Tax is $300 a year and two WOFs are $50 each. I've done about 30,000kms on it and tyres, plugs and filters are all its needed.

Then that brings me to the roads. Amazingly empty in parts of both islands, the state highways and main roads are generally to a very good standard and often really fun to drive around. Very few potholes. They are not very well thought out sometimes though which makes for some dangerous intersections and corners. Some country or remote roads are unsealed which is annoying. I found a far higher percentage of cops on the roads then I've ever seen in Ireland, even in places I would have thought quite remote.

Warning...the drivers are pretty shocking. As there is such a massive distance between most places people get really frustrated and make stupid decisions, overtaking in places that will amaze you or holding a really bad road position. There's a lot of drunk and stoned drivers out there too and sadly road deaths are way higher here then they should be mainly I think due to ****e drivers. There's a big Polynesian community here also that don't have the best driving ability from what I've seen. Not being racist or anything but the move from a small pacific island to a busy city or state highway oftens leads to some interesting maneuvers. :) I've driven around pretty much every part of this place though and I have to say I REALLY enjoy driving here. Open roads and big cheap cars. Mmmm.

I was thinking the jap import thing would be widely available. Glad to hear that's the case. I'll have to get shopping when I get there, should have a budget of about 5k euro 8.5 dollars if I'm not mistaken. This all sounds to good to be true if you ask me! Thanks for your input.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I was thinking the jap import thing would be widely available. Glad to hear that's the case. I'll have to get shopping when I get there, should have a budget of about 5k euro 8.5 dollars if I'm not mistaken. This all sounds to good to be true if you ask me! Thanks for your input.

You should be able to buy a serious motor for that money especially if you pay cash. Also cars in the south Island are cheaper than the north, well in CHCH anyway.

Will it get me an evo 5/6 because that's what in aiming for. What sort of price is fuel??

Also where is the best place to buy such a car, is autotrader or that kind of thing popular??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

pclancy wrote: »

Warning...the drivers are pretty shocking. As there is such a massive distance between most places people get really frustrated and make stupid decisions, overtaking in places that will amaze you or holding a really bad road position. There's a lot of drunk and stoned drivers out there too and sadly road deaths are way higher here then they should be mainly I think due to ****e drivers. There's a big Polynesian community here also that don't have the best driving ability from what I've seen. Not being racist or anything but the move from a small pacific island to a busy city or state highway oftens leads to some interesting maneuvers. :) I've driven around pretty much every part of this place though and I have to say I REALLY enjoy driving here. Open roads and big cheap cars. Mmmm.

Personally wouldn't single out Polynesian drivers. All Kiwi drivers, with the very odd exception, are absolutely s*** drivers.
    Same population as Ireland, similar numbers of cars, better roads....and roadtoll is nearly twice as high.

Having said all that, some of the drives here are absolutely mind blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

Will it get me an evo 5/6 because that's what in aiming for. What sort of price is fuel??

you'll get a sweet as subaru legacy for about $4000
    and evo would be a bit pricier maybe $5000 for a 98 or 99

fuel at the moment is $1.83 petrol and $1.27 (ish) for diesel

oh and for buying a car try http://www.trademe.co.nz/

its like ebay only better and only in nz
    or try various backpackers or maybe the nzherald news paper

oh watch out thought coz chances are youre going to be earning and spending dollars soon enough
    food is very expensive example mushrooms $12 a kilo washing powder for a small box 20-30 washes would be about $12-13 dollars
    if youre a smoker give up quick nearly $45 for a 50g pouch

best of luck on your journey and whatever you do you MUSH GO TO ABEL TASMAN NATIONAL PARK a spectacular place

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Personally wouldn't single out Polynesian drivers. All Kiwi drivers, with the very odd exception, are absolutely s*** drivers.
    Same population as Ireland, similar numbers of cars, better roads....and roadtoll is nearly twice as high.

Having said all that, some of the drives here are absolutely mind blowing.

wtf. better roads? simply not true. Ireland has 4 lane motorways connecting the cities. New Zealand has basically a 2 lane road the length of the country, with the exception of the Auckland region. Of course you're going to have a high road toll when you have a situation like that. People get frustrated and have no option but to overtake in to oncoming traffic. NZs main road(s) are absolutely ****.

And actually i'd rate the standard of Kiwi (nationals) drivers higher than Irelands, we are tested on motorway driving for example. I still can't understand why that's not tested here. It's the lax system they have in place for all the foreigners coming over which lets everyone down.

Well as regards the living costs etc I will be getting my bed and food provided as well as getting paid. It seems to be a pretty sweet arrangement. Are the legacy's manual yes?? As an auto doesn't appeal to me!! The fuel prices are reasonable enough it seems. Is nightlife a big thing out there?? Is it expensive to eat and drink out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Shzm wrote: »
    People get frustrated and have no option but to overtake in to oncoming traffic.

And actually i'd rate the standard of Kiwi (nationals) drivers higher than Irelands,

Two statements that are completely contradictory. The first an example of why NZ drivers are absolutely terrible. No patience, take risks etc. The second is why they are the worst kind of bad driver- overconfident and no recognition of how poor they are.

I'm not saying Irish drivers are fantastic by the way, just that they are better than NZ.

And for the roads- the vast majority of driving in Ireland does not happen on motorways, it's on the secondary and regional roads. I'm not sure where you are based, but anywhere I've been in Ireland that means narrow roads, off-camber bends, bad signposting, overgrown verges, entryways everywhere. Compare that with NZ- no hedges, well engineered bends (with speed advisories all of these ffs). good surface etc etc.

Well as regards the living costs etc I will be getting my bed and food provided as well as getting paid. It seems to be a pretty sweet arrangement. Are the legacy's manual yes?? As an auto doesn't appeal to me!! The fuel prices are reasonable enough it seems. Is nightlife a big thing out there?? Is it expensive to eat and drink out?

yeah some of the legacy's would be manual it's about 50/50 i'd say,

kiwi are very lazy drivers they love auto gearboxes mostly just the jap cars are manuals

yeah fuel is reasonable until you start spending dollars then they are ridiculous saturday night is the BIG going out night some pubs and clubs go til 4-5 a.m. but again it's expensive for an equivalent to a pint your paying around $7-$8 and if you drink guinness or most imported beers expect to pay $10 and up

restaurants in christchurch i'm not too sure but nelson
    for example in an indian restaurant for a starter main course and a naan bread about $30-$40 plus tip (if you want)
    any average chinese would be similiar lots of sushi
    and german butchers too

but also there is ****loads of mcdonalds and subways and dominoes and pizza huts the usual crap americanised overpriced ''food''

there's loads of these new ''trendy'' restaurants youre looking at about $50-$70 for an average meal with a few drinks per person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Why Should I

I am off to NZ in 3 weeks on a 12 month HWV, I'll be in Auckland tho. I always was looking in to cars, And its good to know i can get a good one, Tho i think il get a jeep.

Is there any more info/advice you could offer ?

Cheers

• Advertisement

I am off to NZ in 3 weeks on a 12 month HWV, I'll be in Auckland tho. I always was looking in to cars, And its good to know i can get a good one, Tho i think il get a jeep.

Is there any more info/advice you could offer ?

Cheers

hilux hilux and hilux
    thats all the advise you need
    there is so many of them aroung the place and therefore cheap and easy to get parts too

but if youre gonna be in auckland you wont really need something like this
    i'd personally get something like an estate/station wagon whichever you want to call them
    because the roads are pretty good in nz compared to ireland especially auckland

hilux hilux and hilux
    thats all the advise you need
    there is so many of them aroung the place and therefore cheap and easy to get parts too

but if youre gonna be in auckland you wont really need something like this
    i'd personally get something like an estate/station wagon whichever you want to call them
    because the roads are pretty good in nz compared to ireland especially auckland

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/CategoryAttributeSearchResults.aspx?search=1&mcat=0001-0268-&sidebar=0&5=&14=&18=0&18=0&24=0&24=0&searchregion=100&15=hilux&searchbar=1&generalSearch_keypresses=0&generalSearch_suggested=0

not that cheap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Yup like the poster above said go for a Hilux. Vehicle of the gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

TBH i wouldnt be too bothered in getting a nice car here.

The driving is woeful and every second car had a big dent in it.

Ya i noticed that lol,

I am planning on spending 3500-4000 NZD ( Well it depends on how much i can bring with me, Atm it looks like 9500 NZD but thats to get me setup etc )

Cheers

I hear what your saying. But I just love performance cars! The body condition isn't the most important thing to me, it's what's under the bonnet that makes me smile.

Quick question, Will my irish drivers license work over there, Or do i need to do a test?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

You can use your Irish licence for up to twelve months after you arrive, after that you need to convert over.

I bought my 1996 Toyota Rav4 for $7k from http://www.backpackerscars.com in Christchurch, really good place, really good guys. They even put a new set of tyres on it as well. It's in really good nick. Bit muddy at the moment though but that's why you buy a vehicle like that right :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i would have to throw in that the new network 2 degrees is, ive found, a whole lot cheaper than the others. not 100% sure about 3G but i know they have just introduced 3G while i was away (been in Ireland last two weeks, but got an email).

Advertisement