Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to New Zealand!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Best advice i can give you is try and buy something diesel...your going working on a farm and theres no dye in the diesel in Nz...cheap motoring!;) I would stay away from legacys n imprezas to. I remember heading to wanaka for new years and every few miles there was a subaru with its bonnet up over heating....an expense you dont need!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Carefull...You pay extra tax for diesal seperate to what you pay at the pump, hence they're not half as popular here as in Europe. Stupid idea really.

http://www.aa.co.nz/about/issues/fuel-taxes-fines-charges/Pages/Road-User-Charges.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Aye but if your working on a farm or with a contractor who has a tank in his yard most dont mind ya filling up your car...so you only have the tax to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Two days now till I leave, can't wait but I still haven't realised I'm heading away yet it's mad. Any last minute advice for me?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

stock up on socks and undies while in ireland, they're so bloody expensive here. tea is also good. and high factor sunscreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Bring Taytos!

Tea bags, forgot that!! As regards sun lotion, what's the weather out there at the moment? Temp and rain/shine?? I'm heading to darfield which is west of chch.

Tayto could be a hard enough one to bring, not a fan of bust tayto! I am also available to bring stuff
    For other people if it's small, VERY small ha!

darfield... like... the centre of the quake?

im in christchurch, today is kinda overcast but quite sunny... last week we've been hitting 20 degrees quite frequently, but bear in mind that the hole in the ozone is above new zealand, there are MUCH higher rates of sunburn etc here than in countries that are actually hotter.

Yup that darfield! It's famous and that's even before I get there!

Ok so I'll defo get lotion today, I normally tend to tan more so than burn but the last thing I want to do is any harm to myself!

Oh i applied for my whv online, do I just print something off for proof??

Cheers

yeah, just print off the proof, but as far as i know they have you saved electronically anyway, but it is a LOT quicker to show paper evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

If you exchange your Irish driving license for a kiwi one is it possible to exchange it back when you get home? I know New Zealanders can't get Irish licenses.

Took me four goes to pass the test, never again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

If you exchange your Irish driving license for a kiwi one is it possible to exchange it back when you get home? I know New Zealanders can't get Irish licenses.

Took me four goes to pass the test, never again!

The Irish licence department will have you on file. Believe it or not they keep records of things like that.
    Its not as if once they give you your licence they wash their hands of you. :rolleyes:

The Irish licence department will have you on file. Believe it or not they keep records of things like that.
    Its not as if once they give you your licence they wash their hands of you. :rolleyes:

In relation to the whole driving licence thing does my full Irish cover me to drive in nz?? Ice had people say get an international licence, why would I do that??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

C0N0R wrote: »
    In relation to the whole driving licence thing does my full Irish cover me to drive in nz?? Ice had people say get an international licence, why would I do that??

Ice is a dirty drug, it makes people say things they dont mean.
    Dont get an international licence, I did, I was ignorant.

Irish licence will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mac_09

C0N0R,

How you getting on over there pal?

Im heading over in 3weeks, any problems I should know of?

Cheers

Hey, are u coming over to farm or just work?? I had no problems so far, got into the country no bother, just declared anything that needed to be declared and it was sweet.

Make sure u bring suncream, it's not cheap over here and the sun is pretty intense. Bring shorts, it's hot during the day but also bring jumpers it's cold at night!

Can't really think of anything else, Ull be grand. Where abouts you heading??

• Registered Users Posts: 32 gnilhsa

hi just readin yer threads and im so excited bout headin out to new zealand in january!! :D
    my boyfriends cousin was out ther and had no problem gettin a job on a farm but im kinda worrying that ill find it hard to get a job out there,since i dont really no how to drive a tractor!!! we'r thinkin of stayin an auckland!! does any1 no if it would be easy to get a job ther? and is rent expensive ther??

thanks!

Advertisement