Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lane realignment on Wexfords roads!!

Options
  • 28-07-2010 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

Who is the eejit that comes up with the idea of realigning lanes on the roads in the county? The overtaking lane northbound on the N11 at Ferrycarrig is a pile-up waiting to happen since it's been realigned.Theres a junction at the top of the hill with a ghost island and right hand turn and a turn off to the left.The overtaking lane has been shortened to merge at the junction and no feeder lane for the left turn,so if anyone wants to turn left they have to virtually stop on the main road-with 2 lanes of traffic merging at that point,crazy.Just yesterday I witnessed a driver having to drive through the ghost island and the right hand turning box because the traffic in the left lane had to stop for a car turning left,if anyone was going right at the same time carnage would have ensued.
    The same type of thing has been done at Larkins cross and Clohamon,who believes it's safer to close a feeder lane to a junction and instead let traffic travelling at 100kph come to a sudden halt on a main road?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Must've been the same person who worked out the Zebra Crossing strategy and Dunnes Stores Delivery Entrance in Enniscorthy.

I actually agree with the new lanes.
    Under the old system, you were regulary driven onto the hard shoulder by some spas racing up the hill. The idea is to stop that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just wait 'til someone is turning off to the left and the drivers in the overtaking lane (who are generally going faster than those on the inside lane) try to merge at the junction.With a bit of thought it could have been done properly allowing anyone turning to the left to leave the flow of traffic earlier and not need to almost come to a standstill in the middle of two lanes merging

if anyone wants to turn left they have to virtually stop on the main road-with 2 lanes of traffic merging at that point,crazy

That sounds about right.

It sounds like the best solution would be to put a proper 4-exit roundabout here (although that's just a brief thought that is passing through my head with bits of grey floating around too).
    Under the old system, you were regulary driven onto the hard shoulder by some spas racing up the hill.

Been up that hill thousands of times and never had an issue. I agree that the merging of the roads here wasn't perfect but I never felt it was a case that you were forced into the hard shoulder. There's no accounting for boy racers and the like but a bit of common sense typically resulted in no problems here.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

zerks wrote: »
    Who is the eejit that comes up with the idea of realigning lanes on the roads in the county? The overtaking lane northbound on the N11 at Ferrycarrig is a pile-up waiting to happen since it's been realigned.Theres a junction at the top of the hill with a ghost island and right hand turn and a turn off to the left.The overtaking lane has been shortened to merge at the junction and no feeder lane for the left turn,so if anyone wants to turn left they have to virtually stop on the main road-with 2 lanes of traffic merging at that point,crazy.Just yesterday I witnessed a driver having to drive through the ghost island and the right hand turning box because the traffic in the left lane had to stop for a car turning left,if anyone was going right at the same time carnage would have ensued.
    The same type of thing has been done at Larkins cross and Clohamon,who believes it's safer to close a feeder lane to a junction and instead let traffic travelling at 100kph come to a sudden halt on a main road?

I agree, something will have to be done at that junction. Lots of Traffic turning off left for wallaces. Accident waiting to happen In my opinion.

• Advertisement

Actually.. after due consideration my roundabout theory was shíte so please ignore same. A roundabout on a hill... what was I thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Travelling from Wexford over the last week I witnessed another near pile-up at that junction near Ferrycarrig with cars in the overtaking lane catching up with stationary traffic.The other half had a similar experience a few days ago also which could have ended in disaster in wet or icy conditions,1 car turning left so traffic had to stop in the middle of the road,2 cars came up on the outside at speed only to meet the cars stopped and then another trying to turn right,screeching of brakes and a near disaster.As I said had the road been wet or icy,carnage would have ensued.The old system wasn't ideal but it was a lot safer than what they have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

zerks wrote: »
    The old system wasn't ideal but it was a lot safer than what they have now.
    100% agree. Its a diaster waiting to happen. The new Soccer grounds have increased traffic turning left. The road winds to the left as you come up from Ferrycarrig, so theres a bit of a blind spot until you are virtually on the junction.

There have been many that sauggested a roundabout here. Maybe its not as bad as it sounds - considering we have a "roundabout on a hill" at Scarawalsh and it works well (contrary to my initial beliefs)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

wallace tried to get an entrance from the main road to the club i think but was refused .... seems a bit stupid to me since there is plenty of wide road in that area and a turn off direct into wallaces from the main road shouldnt be a problem.

it'd cause less problems at that turn off deffo .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

wallace tried to get an entrance from the main road to the club i think but was refused .... seems a bit stupid to me since there is plenty of wide road in that area and a turn off direct into wallaces from the main road shouldnt be a problem.

it'd cause less problems at that turn off deffo .

Its the main Dublin-Wexford road, there is a general policy not to allow new private entrances on to national roads.
    Whether it should have got planning permission at all is another issue..

• Advertisement
Advertisement