Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€ to $ & pay no commission, possible?

Options
  • 28-07-2010 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Myself and 11 friends are heading to Las Vegas in September. Is it possible to not pay commission on the € to $ conversion?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Myself and 11 friends are heading to Las Vegas in September. Is it possible to not pay commission on the € to $ conversion?

Thanks

I think not.
    No matter whether you're spending via the credit card, laser card or doing the conversion this side or when you get there, you're going to pay some commission.
    Just a matter of figuring out where it is cheapest and following that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I think some banks might give it fee free if your a customer. Maybe just ufirst customers with ulster bank? I think bank of Ireland have a max commission of 12euro so you could get all the money together and change it all at once saving on multiple charges.

Not 100% on this though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yeah. If its cash
    Get a pensioner or a student to exchange it for you.
    Some credit unions have rates close enough to bank rates but with no commission

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Jet Black wrote: »
    I think some banks might give it fee free if your a customer. Maybe just ufirst customers with ulster bank? I think bank of Ireland have a max commission of 12euro so you could get all the money together and change it all at once saving on multiple charges.

Not 100% on this though.

BOI actually have a max commission of €6.35 for foreign exchange cash transactions. If you have a student account with them, you can get it without paying commission. Also, if you're over 60 you'll get it free too, so if you don't have an account and have an elderly relative who does, get them to change it for you. You should be aware though, there is a cap of €2500 per year of commission free FX for golden oldies and students, so depending on how much you're changing, you might have to pay for some of it.

Advertisement