Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

things which have caused problems while taking photographs recently

• 28-07-2010 11:37am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭

jittery horses
    firehoses (well, more the water that comes out of them)
    GODDAMN ****ING HORSEFLIES
    chocolatey fingerprints on lenses

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

weather (damn, but my 24/7 morning sunrise was ruined by that..... very inconsiderate if you ask me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Humidity.

:-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

ME and well, ME

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Broken ankle....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Work....... for fecks sake.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Broken ankle....:o
    whose?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

whose?

Mine......:mad:

F391B2FE849240A9AD7723C417C5EB9B-500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Work....... for fecks sake.

I second that sentiment and AF dying on my 70-300 :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

My back + sciatic pain. Really off putting when anywhere decent to photograph around here requires a car - I don't drive - or at least a bike, which I have but it hurts to cycle sometimes.

And the weather. And 2 demanding children who always want to come with me when I go to leave the house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

My 85 1.8's usm AF takes a while to kick in lol

My panning or lack of expertise comes back to haunt me when I do attempt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Lack of polaroid 600 film :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

enthusiasm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

dave66 wrote: »
    I second that sentiment and AF dying on my 70-300 :mad:

The canon one? I've hardly used mine and it sounds geriatric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

Promac wrote: »
    The canon one? I've hardly used mine and it sounds geriatric.

No it's a Sigma 70-300 APO Macro with minolta mount, but used on my Sony A550, turns out the plastic gears used by Sigma in that lens are not up to handling the torque of the Sony motor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

DarrenG wrote: »
    enthusiasm

You should seek out more pretty food, in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I haven't got time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

A crappy tripod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

family, work, only 24 hrs in the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Canon "Error 99" when using my telephoto, and I havent been arsed finding out why :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Eye surgery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

daycent wrote: »
    Eye surgery.

oooh, did you get laser by any chance? I am afraid to get it incase my eyes dont focus well.

I find from time to time a heavy photography workload kills off my inspiration to go out and do something for the sake of it. Its been quite a while since I went out to take a picture just because I wanted to!

oooh, did you get laser by any chance? I am afraid to get it incase my eyes dont focus well.

No, it wasn't laser surgery, technically it wasn't even surgery! I have an eye disease called Keratoconus. There is no cure, but I got a procedure done which stops it from progressing (hopefully). It's not that big of a problem really (for me anyway, got diagnosed fairly early on). I got it done on Friday, my vision is fairly blurry now, I've been told it might take a few months to get back to "normal", which is worrying, but it could be worse...

As for laser surgery, I'd be tempted if I wore glasses/contacts. As far as I know, it's generally not painful and the recovery is quick. Would recommend doing a good bit of research first and going with someone reputable though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

bongi69 wrote: »
    Canon "Error 99" when using my telephoto, and I havent been arsed finding out why :p

I've been getting that a lot lately too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Restraining order*

*may not be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

daycent wrote: »
    No, it wasn't laser surgery, technically it wasn't even surgery! I have an eye disease called Keratoconus. There is no cure, but I got a procedure done which stops it from progressing (hopefully). It's not that big of a problem really (for me anyway, got diagnosed fairly early on). I got it done on Friday, my vision is fairly blurry now, I've been told it might take a few months to get back to "normal", which is worrying, but it could be worse...

As for laser surgery, I'd be tempted if I wore glasses/contacts. As far as I know, it's generally not painful and the recovery is quick. Would recommend doing a good bit of research first and going with someone reputable though...

Thats terrible news Brian. I hope you are feeling ok. No I have a sister and a sister in law who have had it done but I have very strange eyes myself, in the last year the shape of my eyes has changed dramatically enough so its just one thing I would be very nervous of doing, I think I would need to hear from someone in the photography game as to whether or not it was worth it, I know when you are focussing on minute details as you do in photography you would be more inclined to notice if it is ok or not.

I hope your recovery time isnt too long now. Best wishes.

Thats terrible news Brian. I hope you are feeling ok. No I have a sister and a sister in law who have had it done but I have very strange eyes myself, in the last year the shape of my eyes has changed dramatically enough so its just one thing I would be very nervous of doing, I think I would need to hear from someone in the photography game as to whether or not it was worth it, I know when you are focussing on minute details as you do in photography you would be more inclined to notice if it is ok or not.

I hope your recovery time isnt too long now. Best wishes.

Thanks for the kind comments Rachel, appreciate it. It was because of photography that I noticed something was wrong in the first place, strange how things happen. It's weird not being able to take photos, hopefully will improve in a few days. My sight wasn't that bad to begin with. Although if I'd left it go it would have got worse and worse. In the past a lot of people would have ended up getting a corneal transplant eventually which is kinda scary. The treatment I got is fairly new, I'm very lucky really. (Although not covered by insurance :mad:)

I think you're right to be nervous of laser surgery. It's not suitable for everyone anyway apparently and there are some risks. I suppose if you're comfortable enough wearing glasses then you might be better off sticking with them, for the moment anyway. I'm just glad that autofocus exists, would be screwed otherwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

DarrenG wrote: »
    enthusiasm

wana make a club ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Low level of skills masked as technical limits of my gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

bleedin' school bleedin' holidays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

All you can eat buffet... ruined my lunchtime plans for a few photos.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

lack of time. travelling to festivals every week in beautiful places, and litrally can take out the camera for 5 mins...it sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭aidan18

suncream and sand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Taking a photo if its either black&white or slide film. I will not see these photos for weeks/months cause I have to send them off to get down and its just too expensive doing one at a time.

Does make it all worth it though when you get loads back and forgot some of what you took.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Taking a photo if its either black&white

Why not dev the b&w yourself? It's a pile of pizz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Why not dev the b&w yourself? It's a pile of pizz.

Yeah I was doing it while I was in college.. Iv'e just been lazy to pick up chemicals and stuff. I tried awhile back and had trouble finding decent developing tanks.

My birthday is next week so maybe I might make a list :rolleyes:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Lack of money for petrol and have shot the area around me to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

John wrote: »
    I've been getting that a lot lately too.
    Dirty lens contacts in my case. Cleaned them off and working ok now. Now I just need something interesting to shoot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

forgeting to bring my F*****g battery charger for cameras on holidays with me grrrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

the idiot behind the viewfinder

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Ettna

stcstc wrote: »
    forgeting to bring my F*****g battery charger for cameras on holidays with me grrrrrrr

Me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

Ettna wrote: »
    Me too.

Being given the wrong battery charger by Conns and having the battery die halfway through a wedding...grrrrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Dog thinking the camera was a snack. For him.

Advertisement