Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Feedback] Random _________ Photos

• 28-07-2010 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭

CabanSail wrote: »
    I have removed a whole load of posts from this thread & put them in a thread called Animal Photography.

This a NOT the thread for in depth discussion of issues or even for C&C. A comment or two are fine but not much more than that. If you want to discuss issues from here then please do so in a seperate thread.

Seperate thread, as per highlighted text.

So we now have a Random Photo thread, a Random Sports thread, and a Random Animals thread...

Seriously?

I really don't think we need all these threads, and if we do, where does it stop? Random portrait thread, random beer thread, random went out for a bit of fresh air thread, random homeless person thread?

The 'Random Photo Thread' is where they should all go, they don't need seperation, we don't need more threads filling up the forum because someone has a new picture of last nights match, their dog, and a photo of the beach. It can quite easily be kept in one. Non?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we need a random 'random photo thread' thread to keep track.

my main issue with the random sports thread is the lack of commenting or questioning someone about technique, etc., on a previous post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

The Animal thread is a debate (and a bad one at that).

But Random Sports... with a mute clause... why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

I second the call for a random beer thread.:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

jpb1974 wrote: »

There are 2 maybe 3 pics of animals!!!!:mad: on a 3 page thread

Random arguement thread ftw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

But if people want to talk about something in a random thread that's going to be locked at ~1000~ posts and started again, I don't see the problem, it's not going to stop the 'random photo'ness of the thread, it's just a bit of natter - I don't see why it needs to be brought into a new thread... Same as sports photography.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Indeed Fajitas. What the bloody Nora is wrong with chat on Random threads? (Open question to Mods of forum.)

Poll this baby...Poll it now!!:pac:

A debate broke out on the Random thread about -

"The Cruetly of Sheep Sheering"

(Yep... you've read that right :o)

which was going on a bit so they decided to move it to a separate thread for the discussion to continue so's not to distract from the Random thread. Fair enough. I don't think the "Animal Photography" thread is meant to be a posting ground for Animal photos.

Agreed on the Sports Photography thread... bit pointless.

There must be something in the water, there's a lot of knicker twisting going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Random gig photography thread... I love looking at gig shots!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The Friday Fight thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

That Animal thread is not intended to be a bona fide discussion or anything thread really I think, AnimalRights and myself exchanged a few posts about an animal pic, others had things to add, and since Random Photothread is not intended for discussion by original rules, well then this was shoved to a separate thread in case we had more to say on the issue.

That's not a big deal, or is it ? :confused:
    I'm happy for the "animal thread" to sink down into oblivion starting... now! :D, if people have nothing to add to it.

Not everything has to turn into a serious debate either, is it not ok to exchange a few commments and leave it at that ? As in, more than allowed in Random Photothread, but less than what you'd qualify as a ... "debate"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

That one is a bit ridiculous, but I'd be afraid to say so in the thread itself. Someone posts a picture and then makes a rule you can't comment on it ... Can we all do this? I should have done it in my butterfly thread and title it - Shots of Butterflies ONLY, NO comments!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Please pelase pelase don't let it turn into a heavily policed "No pic, no post" policy

This is a discussion board after all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

What if I have a picture of a field with X number of sheep/cows in it?
    They're not random, they're all owned by the same farmer....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I think Cabaansail was right in pruning the overuse non pic posts in random and the animal debate thread was fine, agree that the normal animal pics should d be in random...
    The sheep shearing pic is actually not a bad one but once I got into a debate I just like over debating and getting my 'treehugging' views across....it's the pub debate that comes out in me.

The dead bird one I do object too.

as for the Calina sports thread I like it, i'm sure she put it up just as a one off thread and its good sometimes just to admire pics with no words.

:)

That's all fine, but you get the impression from the sports thread that you'd be in hot water if you started commenting. It might just have been a way of her to put her own pics up without any unwanted feedback ... great images in there, but some won't be seen as it's a turn off to know you can't post in there, so I've stopped looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

That's all fine, but you get the impression from the sports thread that you'd be in hot water if you started commenting. It might just have been a way of her to put her own pics up without any unwanted feedback ... great images in there, but some won't be seen as it's a turn off to know you can't post in there, so I've stopped looking.
    Again it's just a diff style thread she went for, It's no harm to have something different, fresh idea threads.

I'm sure it'll just run for a week and people like urself will start using the random thread again.

People like myself? Excuse me, But I'm not like these other people you speak of! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

People like myself? Excuse me, But I'm not like these other people you speak of! :D

100% with you there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Yeah AnimalRights, i'm same as you, like to argue a bit, not necessarily make it a full blown debate...:)
    And it was good it was moved, because I know myself I like the format of the Randomthread as it is, not much talk, just pics, don't mind the odd comment once in a while. It's not a huge deal, if there's a few too many comments, they get moved somewhere else, end of story. There are many threads with a short shelf life, you'd expect that in a boards forum, don't see it as a problem ?:confused:

I like that there's a sports thread, because I can avoid it :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

we need a random 'random photo thread' thread to keep track.

my main issue with the random sports thread is the lack of commenting or questioning someone about technique, etc., on a previous post.

I'm quite happy to take PMs on techniques. Always have been both in general or in specific threads like this
    Trev M wrote: »
    I second the call for a random beer thread.:D

We do have an offtopic thread which can do that.
    Fajitas! wrote: »
    But if people want to talk about something in a random thread that's going to be locked at ~1000~ posts and started again, I don't see the problem, it's not going to stop the 'random photo'ness of the thread, it's just a bit of natter - I don't see why it needs to be brought into a new thread... Same as sports photography.

With respect to what happened last night - ultimately I think an offtopic uhem debate broke out which was in danger of derailing the thread. To be honest - and this is a personal opinion as opposed to a general mod position - I am questioning whether we should continue with the random threads as they exist. I would be tempted to lock one and let the community start one or not as they wish. Our main problem is that because it's picture heavy and because people are on mobile broadband or midband or pretendband, we sort of need to police the 800pixel/no quote rule for threads like it.

That one is a bit ridiculous, but I'd be afraid to say so in the thread itself. Someone posts a picture and then makes a rule you can't comment on it ... Can we all do this? I should have done it in my butterfly thread and title it - Shots of Butterflies ONLY, NO comments!! :D

Well actually that particular rule for that particular thread has its roots in a previous thread which caused a certain amount of sparking. The sports threads don't come up very often - least ways I think the last time I started one was at least 2 or 3 years ago but I could have forgotten. I wasn't a mod the first time I started a pictures only thread.

YOu would be astonished, however, how many people don't read OPs like this and ignore simple requests.
    I think Cabaansail was right in pruning the overuse non pic posts in random and the animal debate thread was fine, agree that the normal animal pics should d be in random...
    The sheep shearing pic is actually not a bad one but once I got into a debate I just like over debating and getting my 'treehugging' views across....it's the pub debate that comes out in me.

The dead bird one I do object too.

as for the Calina sports thread I like it, i'm sure she put it up just as a one off thread and its good sometimes just to admire pics with no words.

:)

It is a non regular one as in, it'll probably die at some stage (I'm surprised it's lasted this long actually) and part of it is to illustrate to people who don't always take pictures that are sports journalism that they have eye catching sports photographs all the same.

Since I have the grand total of two photographs in that thread, that would be an unfair accusation. As all my photographs are on either pixie or flickr or both, and some feature in my own site, I'm massively open to feedback on them.

However, yes, when an OP has a request for you to post pictures only - something which is not unique to this photographic forum, it is only fair that you get reminded of that request if you choose to ignore it.

The animal photographic thread as I understand it is more an ethics question rather than Random Animals. But it may have developed.

It wasn't an accusation really, just how it came across to me. fair enough, i see the point. I have actually posted a sports image [horse racing] in the thread and was careful not to comment ;)

Calina wrote: »
    I am questioning whether we should continue with the random threads as they exist. I would be tempted to lock one and let the community start one or not as they wish.

Please don't, it's one of the best features of the photography forum.

If you do decide to go down that road I shall definitely be starting a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jkb_dub

I never post in here but browse a lot... I'm still learning when it comes to photography so this place has a wealth of information. One of my particular areas of interest is sports photography so I was pleased to see a random sports thread as this gives me ideas on how I should be taking my pics or sports / events I should seek out... it also helps me see what I like and don't like without having to be influenced by other peoples opinions... One day I'll hopefully be happy enough with my efforts to contribute...

Tallon wrote: »
    Please don't, it's one of the best features of the photography forum.

If you do decide to go down that road I shall definitely be starting a new one

This is why I think maybe the mods don't need to start them any more. We can lock them when they get unwieldy but the community seems to be strong enough to keep them going.

I'm glad you like them by the way - I do think a lot of the wider boards photography community like wandering around them from time to time.

Calina wrote: »
    This is why I think maybe the mods don't need to start them any more. We can lock them when they get unwieldy but the community seems to be strong enough to keep them going.

I'm glad you like them by the way - I do think a lot of the wider boards photography community like wandering around them from time to time.

I don't mind who starts them at all. I think the chit chat should be kept to a minimum / moderated and locked once it hits 1,000. But getting rid of them outright wouldn't be good for the community.

I know it's a lot for you's mods to constantly monitor, but maybe you could recruit more mods?

i'm happy to help by reporting posts, but I don't know if you want loads of reported posts either

Border Fox has just been made Mod, You wouldn't want too many or the place might be in danger of crushing all free speech! :D

If i may be honest for a second, I think this place is already strict enough. Good that it keeps rubbish out, but it can hinder good heated discussion at times. Without any swearing or name calling people get booted, never sen the like anywhere before. But ... it makes you think twice before a rant I guess.

I want to be made Mod... purely for the sake of a cool custom avatar as opposed to those shítty stock ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Without any swearing or name calling people get booted, never sen the like anywhere before.
    you haven't been around boards much?
    i'm banned from the environmental section for telling jokes, and from the shooting section for trying to protest my innocence when i was accused of writing to the national newspapers in someone else's name.
    the photography section has a light touch when it comes to moderation compared to a lot of the rest of boards.

I want to be made Mod... purely for the sake of a cool custom avatar as opposed to those shítty stock ones.

Jeeze, you really do want a custom avatar, it's even in your sig :p

You know you can just subscribe like me and upload whatever you want?

If i may be honest for a second, I think this place is already strict enough.

Really?

This is probably one of the most relaxed Forums on boards.

The mods do a good job of keeping out of most stuff and only jumping in when somethings wrong.

Even look at how Calina came in here and voiced her opinion and answered questions without shouting and roaring like I've seen by a lot of mods on a lot of other forums on here

You know you can just subscribe like me and upload whatever you want?

Eh... subscribe... have I missed something?

Border Fox has just been made Mod, You wouldn't want too many or the place might be in danger of crushing all free speech! :D

If i may be honest for a second, I think this place is already strict enough. Good that it keeps rubbish out, but it can hinder good heated discussion at times. Without any swearing or name calling people get booted, never sen the like anywhere before. But ... it makes you think twice before a rant I guess.

Nerdiest forum ever. I'm forever getting warnings and it annoys the hell out of me. I don't think I have ever offended anyone but the mods seem to pick up things that the person I talking to hasn't

Really?

The mods do a good job of keeping out of most stuff and only jumping in when somethings wrong.

Even look at how Calina came in here and voiced her opinion and answered questions without shouting and roaring like I've seen on a lot of other forums on here

I've been temp-banned 3 times for pretty much speaking my mind. Ok, one time it was for calling someone ... get this, a 'tool' and that was via pm ... It was Cailin had me sent out in the cold each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I've been temp-banned 3 times for pretty much speaking my mind. Ok, one time it was for calling someone ... get this, a 'tool' and that was via pm ... It was Cailin had me sent out in the cold each time.

Carefull now Ted !

I think the sports thread is spot on, mainly due to what can happen when he/she supports XYZ team = flame war ! Maybe asking tech questions about a photo/set of photos should be allowed ?

Why? In case I get banned for saying I was banned a few times already? now THAT would be strict! :D I think it was obvious each time who slapped me on the wrist, I'm sure she had her reasons, and I accepted each time I went a bit far - But I still say it's strict here. I've been around boards a few years now. Just never bothered to post much until recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

humberklog wrote: »
    Indeed Fajitas. What the bloody Nora is wrong with chat on Random threads? (Open question to Mods of forum.)

Poll this baby...Poll it now!!:pac:

Because....SRS FORUM IS SRS. Joking/Fun/All kinds of happiness are not allowed.

Sure didn't I get infracted for HELPING someone. :rolleyes:

@Thecageyone -

Give 'After Hours' a try... I think you'd get on well there.

I found myself in theere the other day for all of 5 mins (a thread moved from another forum).

I couldn't believe the carry on there... and I couldn't for the love of me see the actual purpose of the mods there.

is that full of drunk lunatics? being after hours :D

• Advertisement

I would not mod After Hours for any money in the world.

Eh... subscribe... have I missed something?

I'll send you a PM, this thread, believe it or not, has gone OT already :p

Your just one person though, it's not like that happens to everyone here. I was following your ban so I know :)
    Why? In case I get banned for saying I was banned a few times already? now THAT would be strict! :D

No, because it's not relevant to this thread or the theme of Random thread feedback

Really?

Even look at how Calina came in here and voiced her opinion and answered questions without shouting and roaring like I've seen by a lot of mods on a lot of other forums on here

No they don't!!!!!!!!

You so bad want to be a Mod don't you Tallon? :D

It was on topic, it's random and feedback on the place in general, in a way.

I would not mod After Hours for any money in the world.

It appears to me they don't actually do anything.

There were freely bashing travellers on a thread over there the other day and nobody bat an eyelid.

The C word thrown around, no problem.

Sexual suggestions about other people's mother's.

I couldn't actually believe what I was reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Your just one person though, it's not like that happens to everyone here. I was following your ban so I know :)
    *ahem*

:pac:

*ahem*

:pac:

2 peoples :p
    You so bad want to be a Mod don't you Tallon? :D

Not of photography, I'm too nice and have too many friends :p
    It was on topic, it's random and feedback on the place in general, in a way.

Not really, it's feedback on the splitting up of the random photo thread into different catagories, not the mods modding skills, or things that have gone on in the past

'subscribe' = 'buy a mod a pint'.

'subscribe' = 'buy a mod a pint'.

'problem' = 'mod doesn't drink pints'

'subscribe'='buy a mod a mojito'

• Advertisement
Advertisement