Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Feedback] Random _________ Photos

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

'subscribe'='buy a mod a mojito'

'problem' = 'find an admin instead'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Tallon wrote: »
    Not really, it's feedback on the splitting up of the random photo thread into different catagories, not the mods modding skills, or things that have gone on in the past
    That's a kind of tip-toe around the source, as Ireland loves doing....

The thread didn't split itself.... ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Calina wrote: »
    'problem' = 'find an admin instead'
    no wonder all my efforts have failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

That's a kind of tip-toe around the source, as Ireland loves doing....

The thread didn't split itself.... ;)

Huh? The random photo thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I don't see how the animal and sports thread are any other to similar threads that were rather succesfull: Happy Bokeh thread, The Simple Things thread, the "does-my-head in" flower thread, etc.

As for the sports thread not allowing comments, yes, perhaps it would be better to leave room for feedback, set-up comments and specifications, but I did believe that Calina started this thread more so as a "user" and not as a "mod", in the same fashion you or me would have started that thread. Sort-of "My thread, My rules".

The Random one then.
    I agree with the fewer comments the better. I *love* opening that thread every single morning, it's the first thing I do. I think it completely serves it's purpose and support the rule that general chat should be discouraged. Questions à la "Where was that shot taken" and "How did you create that shot" + answers to those questions I don't mind, but when it evolves into a full grown discussion, it pisses me off. I do however understand that it is hard to make a clear distinction between what chat is allowed and when it starts derailing too much, seeing as I do also appreciate some of the "funny comments" that are thrown in between.

So, I thought the decision to move the animal stuff to a seperate thread (albeit named wrongly) was a good one, as it allowed for the discussion that derived from some picturesto take place. A debate - which I felt - had no place in the random one. Like Mountainsandh stated, the "involved" parties have had their say on the matter, in a surpringsly polite and constructive manner, and the thread will probably dissapear soonish.

In conclusion,

Random photothread rocks and shouldnt be changed imho.

There is room for seperate topical threads occassionally. Are they random? No. They are subject related, every throws their pic into it and then it dies a slow death on page 2,3,4,5...

I'll have a mojito now please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

i dind't know a sports photography thread existed- will have to find it.
    Why aren't comments allowed on it??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Calina wrote: »
    This is why I think maybe the mods don't need to start them any more. We can lock them when they get unwieldy but the community seems to be strong enough to keep them going.

I'm glad you like them by the way - I do think a lot of the wider boards photography community like wandering around them from time to time.
    I hope they keep going. :)

I subscribe to all the random threads and when viewing the pictures, it's usually a case of me going "wow." Off course there are things in there that not everybody would like and I've seen what happened last night. But in these cases, if sombody objects to an image then there are two options;

1 - Ignore it, after all it is "random" and nobody knows what will be next up and before anybody gets into semantics, we know what is definitely unsuitable

or

2 - Report the post and let the mods make a call on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Can we not just move 'offending' posts to the off topic thread, with a little message in the random photo tread that they've been moved there?

And I'm sure people can chat in the sports thread. Whether they get a response is another thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

sNarah wrote: »

Random photothread rocks and shouldnt be changed imho.

Absolutely, love the Random thread, have only been lurking around here the last few months, but I've quickly grown addicted to it. Once in a while people like myself and AnimalRights might get carried away and derail into a discussion, and if that's the case well then the mods move the comments to another thread. Sorry mods, more work for you, we're only mere fallible humans, forgive us in your almighty "Mod-ness" :P.

That thread can then live, if there's a point to it, or die if the discussion is over. Simple.
    That's not offensive to anyone, there's good rules for that Random thread, and it's just sticking to the rules, it's no big deal really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This is weird being in a different time zone to most of you now.

I logged into the forum yesterday & there were reports on an image posted in the Random Thread. I looked at the photo & while I can see that it is emotive, as a photo itself it is not offensive. I decided that it should stay in the thread. However there were a couple of pages of debate about a few images in there, which were derailing the thread. A few posts in that thread is fine but if we were to get into discussions in there then it will soon dilute the images there. Most of the comments were valid and concerned the emotions raised by some of the photos posted, so rather than stifle that I opted to move all those posts out into a thread of it's own, so it could continue. I did leave the photos posted in the Random Thread.

Personally I like the way the Random Thread operates. It is an interesting showcase of many different styles and is open to people with all levels of ability. I also like that it has a "heritage" now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Thanks for leaving the picture there. I think this thread should be used as a dump for all the posts from random threads that are not random pictures posts.

If anybody wants to talk about a picture from the random thread, post it here with link to the relevant post.

Unless we implement this button:

poo.gif

:D

Advertisement