Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 4G or wait for Android2.2

Options
  • 28-07-2010 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi guys. I am on three and eligible for an upgrade. I can get an Iphone 4G or wait another month or so for the HTC desire to re hit the shelves. Something else may be out at that stage in Android that is better that I should go for but don't know about yet. Is there any recomendations as to teh best course of action. I am tired waiting for a new android phone.

I have an old touch and like it a lot but I do follow races and weather reports etc that use adobe flash players. Is there any applications that you can use on the iphone that will allow you access the flash side of things. If there is my decision is made.

Many thanks

RichB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Id wait for the desire. There won't be a better android phone in the next while. Plus you'll get flash in the next month or so on the desire with 2.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The HTC Desire is a much better choice. It does far more than the iPhone 4 and costs less to boot. There is no way to view flash video on the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

Android ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

starting today FRoyo is rolling out for desire. No word yet of when Ireland will get the official update but there's hope. Also new Desire's will feature "Super LCD" screens rather than the amoled screens seen on previous batches, Super lcd screens combined with froyo should significantly improve battery performance. But than again... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭richb6987

Thanks guys. So does anyone know when the HTC will be back especially with three. What is the expected battery life for normal use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Samsung Galaxy S is probably better than the Desire and is available now. A beta of 2.2 for it has been leaked, for those who want to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

I went with the Desire myself and i never looked back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

desire all the way :) and since Android is Open Source you can find unofficial cooked 2.2 froyo updates :) loads of better stuff than iPhone anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Anyone any idea when the Desire will be back with three?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Anyone any idea when the Desire will be back with three?

was never there in the first place! I'd imagine it could be mid August.

For anyone thinking of moving to 3, on a smartphone plan, be aware, they are charging 15c/min for voicemail-this will not come out of your inclusive bundle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

iPhone 4 ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Seeing that everyone here says the Desire is better (I have one :) and it is good) but have any of you actually used an iphone4 yet for comparison?

The thing is the Android is for geeks. For instance.
    desire all the way and since Android is Open Source you can find unofficial cooked 2.2 froyo updates loads of better stuff than iPhone anyway...

While plugging into iTunes will get you the latest iOS ( 4.0.1 at the moment but probably different if you are reading this in a few weeks) on most iPhone and iPod Touche devices.

Not for Mom. Not for Dad. Not really for anybody except the old style unix heads.

Which is why Android will die.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

cojomo2 wrote: »
    was never there in the first place! I'd imagine it could be mid August.

For anyone thinking of moving to 3, on a smartphone plan, be aware, they are charging 15c/min for voicemail-this will not come out of your inclusive bundle.

Anyone any idea when it will become available with three then! :)
    That is ****e about voicemail. Will we be able to get around this by just putting 5 in front of the number?

Hogzy wrote: »
    Seeing that everyone here says the Desire is better (I have one :) and it is good) but have any of you actually used an iphone4 yet for comparison?

Yes. I had the 3g, then the 3gs, then the 4. Loved the 3 and the 3g, got rid of the 4 after a couple of weeks. The signal problem is a real issue no matter how much it is played down. At home, on the 3g /3gs I never had a dropped call, coverage wasn't great but good enough.

With the 4, give it the death grip and it would go to 'no service'. This isn't a problem in areas with good coverage though. That was the main issue I had with it, I also didn't like the feel of it, felt very awkward in the hand.

When I got it, my mate, who has a 3gs wondered how it compared speed wise, so we loaded up pages over wifi- the 3gs was faster every time. We both loaded up the speedtest app, for whatever reason, his could register a higher speed(on the same wifi network) every time.

I concluded that the iph4 was no faster, had a weaker signal, and was more uncomfortable to hold. The only advantage I could see was the better screen and camera.

Decided I didn't want to go back to a 3gs as it was just too familiar, went for the Desire thinking I was taking a bit of a risk, thought if I didn't like it I would go back to a 3gs.

I love it, no regrets.

YOu got an iPhone 4 to sell then?

Pittens wrote: »
    YOu got an iPhone 4 to sell then?

Sold already.

While plugging into iTunes will get you the latest iOS ( 4.0.1 at the moment but probably different if you are reading this in a few weeks) on most iPhone and iPod Touche devices.

Not for Mom. Not for Dad. Not really for anybody except the old style unix heads.

Hardly now!!! you don't even have a clue what your talking about clearly u have never used any other platform beside Nokia and iPhone and you don't know whats Android like and how more stuff you can do with it...

Rather than having a few slide screens on the iPhone to slide through...Go to the app market... Mmm go play flash games online... Oh wait you cant do that :)

Same thing can be done by jail breaking the iPhone but you still will be able to do sweet feck all even if its jailbreaked...

Btw for android you don't need to plug it in anywhere...it can update itself over the wifi!

beat that crapple

Bitter that no one likes the iPhone? ;) Android is for everyone, rich and poor, techy and non techy. You're quite honestly the biggest Apple fanboy on boards.

You mean people who understand technology and know that android is better, and dont buy in to apple's marketing genius (it is genius, look how many people believe every word out of Steve Jobs mouth)

So you buy your phone because old folks can use it? All you have to do with android is click update, which IMO is alot easier for a technoretard to do than be able to use a PC, open itunes, open an itunes account and plug in their phone.
    Android is easier. You click update. and tbh old folks who cant use technology wont be using an android or iphone. Simple as.
    Android is most certainly not going to die. Once android is released on a tablet that is any bit as good as the ipad (which isnt hard to do) it will grow and grow and grow (even more so than it is at the moment)

To the OP:
    Wait for 2.2, What can the iphone do that android cant? besides make your wallet lighter of course.;)
    Android phones are cheaper, ALOT cheaper and offer all the same things the iphone does but more. Like tethering and wifi hotspots, full customization (If dont want customisation just leave it the way it is because it works perfectly anyway), most android phones can have their memory cards upgraded, same functionality as a jailbroken iphone however your warranty with an android phone is intact.

The only thing an iphone has that android phones do not have is a gyroscope. But i guarantee the next batch of android phones will have gyroscopes.

• Advertisement

This post is gold. So many misconceptions :p

Installing an unofficial cooked ROM is the equivalent of jailbreaking your iPhone and then putting on a beta OS. If you stay stock you don't need even need to plug in your phone to some convulted, overly complicated bloated piece of software to get software updates. The moment you connect your phone to WiFi you get an OTA update to the latest version. No cables and most importantly of all no host software. The beauty of Android is that it can be as simple or as complex as you'd like it to be.

And just FYI, iOS is as unix-like as Android. Both are ultimately based on UNIX. And I don't see how unix systems are "old style", last I checked nearly every new portable media device being released are Linux based. You seem to be under the impression that we need to type in Linux commands to play flash video or something ;):D

The only time I EVER see any of Android's linux roots is when i'm doing something crazy with the phone like installing Ubuntu on it or editing something low-level like the camera drivers. Not exactly day-to-day use as any reasonable person would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I am deffo NOT an Apple fanbhoy but just to offer another perspective:
    The missus has a HTC Hero. Neither of us have ever had an Apple phone.
    She has found quite a few problems doing fairly basic things with her Hero. Connecting to her car's Bluetooth has been particularly frustrating. She finds the OS is IMHO not particularly intuitive or easy to use.
    Many of the issues are intermittent which actually makes it more frustrating.
    Sorry to say it but IMHO there is an element of geekiness required to get good use out of this phone.

She has found quite a few problems doing fairly basic things with her Hero. Connecting to her car's Bluetooth has been particularly frustrating. She finds the OS is IMHO not particularly intuitive or easy to use.
    Sorry to say it but IMHO there is an element of geekiness required to get good use out of this phone.
    Has she updated to Android 2.1? Nearly every single one of the problems you mentioned have been solved by that.

Sounds to me like she hasnt clicked the update button.:cool::pac:

Has she updated to Android 2.1? Nearly every single one of the problems you mentioned have been solved by that.

Yes. Sorry to say that 2.1 made the Bluetooth worse.

Must be a hardware issue then by the sounds of it. My Desire on 2.1 and 2.2 had no similar issues with bluetooth.

hmmm add a bt on/off widget to the home screen for bt to connect in car? idk mine connects auto if its on as soon as i turn on the car...

on the menus being hard? i don't find the menu hard nor does thousands of android users.

your missus is 1 in 100 :)

get her a cheap nokia their easy :)

Strange.
    Could be the phone. I have no bluetooth issues on my HTC desire. What car kit is she using?
    I remember i had really bad trouble using a nokia phone on a sony ericsson car kit.

My missus has a Hero, I couldn't live with it TBH, the Desire is in a different league altogether..

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    What car kit is she using?

It's the one that's factory fitted in a 2004 BMW.
    All other phones shes had worked with this car (Nokias AFAICR)

...get her a cheap nokia their easy

That's her line of thought too. Or maybe even and I genuinely hate to say it an iPhone?

Anyway the original point I was making is that Android phones do need a bit of geek ;)

Edit: I'm saying this to provide info to the OP not to annoy Android fans.

Advertisement