Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 4G or wait for Android2.2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

define what part of using the android is requires one to be geeky?

tbh other ppl say iPhone is easy to use...i disagree...i used Nokia, WinMo (current), Android (in testing), blackberry, SE, samsung, iPhone

tbh the far hardest UI's for me were Blackberry and iPhone...

whats best about android u can make it the way you want it...same goes for winmo...

where as you have to hold and use the iPhone the way steve "blow" jobs tells ya to :) feck that

I Use Windows MObile on my HTC HD2...i can run android too...i can customize both win mo and android to ballz and change it completely from what comes as stock...

can u do that with iPhone? can u make ur UI the way you want it? mmm no

and really the android handset can be customized out of the boxed without any mods...easy as 1.2.3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭SteM

Anyone any idea when it will become available with three then! :)
    That is ****e about voicemail. Will we be able to get around this by just putting 5 in front of the number?

Three don't know when it'll be on Three! They've been promising it for months now. It's been 'Coming Soon' on their website since April or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

define what part of using the android is requires one to be geeky?

Getting the most out of 2.1 requires you to root it, which fair enough does require tech know how!!

The reason alot of android stuff seems techy is because the OS is completely open, where as the iphone's OS is completely closed. IF you use an android phone out of the box it does all the same stuff an iphone does for half the money.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Getting the most out of 2.1 requires you to root it, which fair enough does require tech know how!!

The reason alot of android stuff seems techy is because the OS is completely open, where as the iphone's OS is completely closed. IF you use an android phone out of the box it does all the same stuff an iphone does for half the money.
    you dont need it to root it...theres loads of apps on the app store to do certain customizations

you dont need it to root it...theres loads of apps on the app store to do certain customizations

Like tethering and Apps2Sd?

I dont think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭SteM

BTW, I think it's unfair to compare 'Iphone 4G' to Android2.2.

Really you should compare the HTC Desire running 2.2 with an iphone 4. The Desire is a top of the range model running android and is the fairest comparison to an iphone 4.

Anything that doesn't have to interface with itunes is a winner imo. I've never come across a more poorly designed piece of software by a major manufacturer.

Like tethering and Apps2Sd?

I dont think so.

well that was a fail i agree ;) but 2.2 is gonna be carried out on HTC devices during next week as an official update so no worries :)

well that was a fail i agree ;) but 2.2 is gonna be carried out on HTC devices during next week as an official update so no worries :)

yup which is why im pressing update on my desire every 2 seconds :D

yup which is why im pressing update on my desire every 2 seconds :D

i wouldn't bother...as usual Ireland will get every update last...so a month down the line from every single HTC phone will get it in America...dont think we will...

i do wonder are the new desires with their super lcd's are already 2.2 or still 2.1?

i wouldn't bother...as usual Ireland will get every update last...so a month down the line from every single HTC phone will get it in America...dont think we will...

i do wonder are the new desires with their super lcd's are already 2.2 or still 2.1?

Id say they will be released all over Europe at the same time. This weekend they are rolling it out to unlocked phones. So meteor is safe because they are unlocked.

• Advertisement

guess im the geek that already has the 2.2 already :)

actually suppose all will be getting the 2.2 so :)

Froyo

guess im the geek that already has the 2.2 already :)

im not that bad :) all i had to do is download rooted desire rom put it on my sd card :) and run it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

I too am looking for an upgrade... I have been considering the iphone (I hate apple) and this hurts. I would prefer to ge an android phone but which is the best?

Ive been lookinh at the HTC models but which is the most powerful of these, desire, hero etc... is there new versions coming out... are their other phone makers making better android based phones

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

101001 wrote: »
    I too am looking for an upgrade... I have been considering the iphone (I hate apple) and this hurts. I would prefer to ge an android phone but which is the best?

Ive been lookinh at the HTC models but which is the most powerful of these, desire, hero etc... is there new versions coming out... are their other phone makers making better android based phones
    Overall best is the HTC Desire. The Samsung Galaxy S has a slightly better GPU but lacks quite a lot like camera Flash, software support, a developer community and the build quality is laughable and feel of the phone isn't as nice as the Desire.

u think of HD2? still is the leading HTC Phone in Europe...you can Dual Boot Android...Possibly run it from internal once nand is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Cheers for that... the research was leading me towards the desire. I hadnt heard of the HD2... I have now, Im thinking of doing the unthinkable (for me anyway) and get bill bay to get a cheap phone... either that or go to asia again.

Are we saying that HTC is the way to go? Oh one think I haveny been able to find out, what are the video resolution sizes?

are their updates to the phones or newer ones coming soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I 'm considering an iphone or an android phone too. I'm drawn towards the iphone for the apps and because I have a mac. I like the idea of newspaper apps, drop box, evernote and so on. I use iTunes anyway so I don't see it as convuluted. It seems like it'd make more sense to get the iphone, the only thing putting me off is I've heard good things about Android and I don't like the idea of an eighteen month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

silvine wrote: »
    I 'm considering an iphone or an android phone too. I'm drawn towards the iphone for the apps and because I have a mac. I like the idea of newspaper apps, drop box, evernote and so on. I use iTunes anyway so I don't see it as convuluted. It seems like it'd make more sense to get the iphone, the only thing putting me off is I've heard good things about Android and I don't like the idea of an eighteen month contract.
    All available on Android Marketplace.:)

101001 wrote: »
    Cheers for that... the research was leading me towards the desire. I hadnt heard of the HD2... I have now, Im thinking of doing the unthinkable (for me anyway) and get bill bay to get a cheap phone... either that or go to asia again.

Are we saying that HTC is the way to go? Oh one think I havent been able to find out, what are the video resolution sizes?

are their updates to the phones or newer ones coming soon

not sure which ones but most android devices will be able to record 720p videos with 2.2 update...i can record 720p videos on hd2 android but not WinMo lmao :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Cheers. Is there anything the iPhone can do that Android can't? Is the Irish Times or Independent on Android?

I'm due an upgrade with Three but the only Android phone they have that looks appealing is the HTC hero and it's not out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Cheers. Is there anything the iPhone can do that Android can't? Is the Irish Times or Independent on Android?

Why would you need an app for an online newspaper? They have web pages. Just bookmark them and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

I'm due an upgrade with Three but the only Android phone they have that looks appealing is the HTC hero and it's not out yet.

Android does not have the dropped calls feature the new iPhone 4 comes with.

blaz wrote: »
    Why would you need an app for an online newspaper? They have web pages. Just bookmark them and that's it.

that is an alternative but apps are so much better tbh. With websites you have to zoom in and all that malarky. Apps are the way to go.

If newspapers out there have an iphone app you can be dam well sure they are in the process of making a similar android app. Their market share is growing each day. Its silly not to have an android app.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Android does not have the dropped calls feature the new iPhone 4 comes with.
    Oh but your sadly mistaken. I believe the app for that is called iPhone Antennator.

Comes with it's own lovely fake iPhone screen and two rather odd apps "Get Flash Player" and "Get a bumper". If you hold the phone vertically you drop signal.

So even if you get an Android phone, the "iPhone experience" is only an app away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

that is an alternative but apps are so much better tbh. With websites you have to zoom in and all that malarky. Apps are the way to go.

If newspapers out there have an iphone app you can be dam well sure they are in the process of making a similar android app. Their market share is growing each day. Its silly not to have an android app.

You double tap on the text that you want to read and the browser automatically zooms in and reformats the text to fit the screen width. Why you need an app other then the browser for that is beyond me, I guess the reality distortion field is in effect again.

yup a decent browser reformats to fit in the text so you only have to scroll down...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

cojomo2 wrote: »
    My missus has a Hero, I couldn't live with it TBH, the Desire is in a different league altogether..

I hope I'm not taking this thread off-topic again but here goes....
    If someone didn't get on with a Hero wouldn't a Desire be basically very similar (except much faster, nicer screen, some bells and whistles etc)? IE the OS is basically the same?

I hope I'm not taking this thread off-topic again but here goes....
    If someone didn't get on with a Hero wouldn't a Desire be basically very similar (except much faster, nicer screen, some bells and whistles etc)? IE the OS is basically the same?

Well why didnt she get on with it? What was her problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Well why didnt she get on with it? What was her problem?

"She" doesn't have any problems.;)

In my post above - I ment in a general sense if anyone did not like the Hero user experience how likely is it that they would like the Desire user experience?

Advertisement