Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filters, where to buy?

• 28-07-2010 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Looking for a UV filter and a circular polarizer filter (58mm). They seem to be expensive in the shops.
    Only taking family, landscape shots.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I suggest you go to Gunns on Wexford Street.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

garlad wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking for a UV filter and a circular polarizer filter (58mm). They seem to be expensive in the shops.
    Any suggestions?

Hoya range is decent and very affordable

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i paid €16.50 for a 52mm hoya UV filter recently in gunns; you can save a bit by spending a tenner on a jessops one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

garlad wrote: »
    Hi,
    Any suggestions?

I paid €17 for a 58mm JYC PRO1-D CPL filter on eBay. These are
    good quality slim multi-coated filters. Cheap CPL filters are under
    €5.

I recently paid €39.99 for a 67mm Hoya CPL filter in
    McSweeneys. This is about the same as the eBay price
    for the same filter.
    http://www.denismacsweeny.com/store/category/21/132/Cir-Polarizing-/

UV filters are a bit cheaper. I paid €10 for a 58mm Hama UV
    in Sam McCauleys, Mahon Point, Cork. Hoya/Kenko are a
    bit more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Cheers for all the replies.
    Will check out Gunns.
    Have heard nothing but good things about this shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

UV filters do nothing more than protect the front of your lens. Hoya filters are more than adequate for the purpose.

I'd love some decent ND filters for daylight long exposures though. Any recommendations? I know there's tonnes on ebay, but what make/density should I look for? [I'm thinking silky water shots and maybe some 1 or 2 second people movement shots]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, an NDX8 (which afaik is a common enough density) will reduce your shutter speed by a factor of eight, so to get a two second exposure, you're looking at an unfiltered exposure of 1/4 of a second, which might not be easy to achieve in daylight. you can stack them, though, but obviously will want to avoid stacking them too much. i've been known to stack one on to a polarising filter.

actually, i've never tried it, but you can get a variable ND filter by stacking two polarisers; it'll vary from about similar to an NDX8 to almost solid black.

For the water shots about a second might do, with filter. Will look out for NDx8 deals. A dull day would make the difference too?

if i remember correctly, a dull day makes a difference of about five or six stops, so has a much more powerful effect than an NDX8.

• Advertisement

Cool, there's a weir down the road I've been dying to capture with a nice silky water effect, nothing great - but it's become a mini mission of mine.

Sorry for the hijack OP, but might be of use to you too :)

if memory serves, i got this in the evening, using an NDX8:

wren_s_nest_weir_bw_04.jpg

Very nice, that's exactly the type of thing I'm after.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

I recently got a B&W 110 ten stop filter, no problem doing very long exposures in daytime, great little filter.

Moreilly wrote: »
    I recently got a B&W 110 ten stop filter, no problem doing very long exposures in daytime, great little filter.
    must be hard focussing with it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

the viewfinder is completely black, but i manual focus first then put the filter on. great filter for LE effects during daylight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

i was interested in getting a ND filter and found this Genus 82mm Neutral Density Filter i think it'd be very useful.

:)

Advertisement