Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is that building?

• 28-07-2010 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭

On the way from Shannon Airport to Galway, when you come close to the sign for Quin on the N7, there is a round building on the top of the hill. Is it a folly? What is it called? Have often wondered what the history is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Info here

http://www.irisharchitectureawards.ie/index.php/annual-awards/2004/dromoland_gazebo/

and this

Sir Edward O'Brien, the 2nd Baronet, was revered as a famous racehorse owner and trainer. He built the Turret on the hill opposite the entrance to Dromoland Estate, from where he would observe his horses race. He once gambled the estate on a horse race; mercifully, Sean Buis won the race and saved the estate. Sean Buis is buried under the Temple, 100 yards from the old entrance to the castle.

from http://www.dromoland.ie/history.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭NCG

In more recent times that field was used for the Easter point-to-point, with the folly being the centrepiece. Often as muddy as Oxegen! It has moved to the other side of Newmarket in the last couple of years though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I remember the races, back in 1993 (yeah, ages I know) I went to see the races and, being foreign, suffered from the illusion that The Dromoland Races would be an affair attented by the high and mighty, there would be white tents in green meadows tended to by flunkies who would lift the lid of silver dishes with white-gloved hands to reveal exotic food or at least local game.
    What it was, was a mucky field full of nettles and cow****e crowded by anyone but the high and mighty with "gentlemen" selling Mars bars from the back of High Ace vans.
    I was initially crushed, but the races where still interesting. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Miri5

Thanks so much for the info :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Sadly, the races on Easter Sunday are no longer on there or in Newmarket. They have been moved to another part of Clare but I can't remember where.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Sadly, the races on Easter Sunday are no longer on there or in Newmarket. They have been moved to another part of Clare but I can't remember where.

A place called Quakerstown. It's up near Tubber on the Galway border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

It was on a postage stamp years ago. I think it was called a "Belvedere" on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

That building is known locally as The Turret. Was suppose to have been a look out point for the lands blonging to Lord Inchiquin and as a defence of Dromoland castle.

Advertisement