Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many KM do you cycle a week?

• 28-07-2010 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Maybe we can find the Boardsie average.

I was aiming for 250km a week, but most weeks I don't get over 200km. Partly because my commute is too short, and I'm bored with trying to get out of London for spins.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

not enough!!!!
    been doing a lot less this year, but am a lot fitter, go figure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

nitrogen wrote: »
    Maybe we can find the Boardsie average.

200 - 250 K...nearer 200 at the moment. Mostly commuting 3 days a week and then 80k on a saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

It depends on the week really. The Km don't really matter really it's how hard you ride it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not much to be honest, but then I'm training on the running side of things mainly as I have a half marathon in Sept I want to complete :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

5,699km in the period 1 January to 18 July - which makes a weekly average of 200.467336682....km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

It depends on the week really. The Km don't really matter really it's how hard you ride it.
    Debatable. Depends for what you are training. If it's for endurance stuff then kms really does matter.

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Debatable.

Are you asking me to race you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

about 150 - 200, but all of it is going as fast and hard as i can. if im not slippery all over when i get off that bioke, it wasnt a real cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

about 140 at the moment gonna try and up now

25 a day commute and bits and pieces over the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Averaging 175 a week for last 3 months, most weeks it would be 220-250 but injuries and holidays mean the average comes dow. I ve been cycling less lately but being more focused in what i actually do when im out - hill intervals, recovery ride, endurance spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

This year quite a lot so far. In the 23 weeks I have logged from 26 Jan (when I got my Garmin back) to 3 July (Marmotte) I have 10,155km, so 442km/week. Haven't been on the bike much since the Marmotte if I am to be brutally honest. My longest week so far was 1,244km.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

About 160k at the moment, one longish spin at the weekend, one or two shorter spins mid week, all pretty hilly.

In terms of work done, I don't think distance is a useful metric without also considering grade. e.g. did 55km last week including kilakee, s.gap, seahan, seefin & grassamucky, over 4 hours, very tired afterwards. Week before did 85km including sally gap to laragh and back via roundwood, which was much easier. For me at least, gradient at the back end of a long spin is also tougher than gradient at the start. Similarly, distance on a road bike is different to distance on a MTB or hybrid, and surface quality also plays a big part.

Average hours in the saddle per week might be a reasonable alternative, for me it's currently about 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

i did 480Km 3 weeks ago.... to get my yearly average all you need to do is divide that by 52

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

where do you's get the time in the week to do more than 300km??? Currently try get about ten hours per week in the saddle, distances vary tho depending on work, and if i'm out on the mtb or the road bike... but would like to think about 200km between the two and pretty much all in the mountains. I could add on another 50 for work and other city commutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

where do you's get the time in the week to do more than 300km??? Currently try get about ten hours per week in the saddle, distances vary tho depending on work, and if i'm out on the mtb or the road bike... but would like to think about 200km between the two. I could add on another 50 for work and other city commutes.

take a week off work and its easy to get in that many miles in a week :D i only get to do good miles for one week in the year (i get 4 weeks holidays a year but im lazy as anything for at least 3 of those).

miles dont matter anyway, its all about the type of roads your on and the type of trainin your doin, if your on nice flat roads and your plobbin along at 13 miles an hour for 1000 miles a week, youd have been better off stayin at home.

and for us poor ould divils that have to leave the country and work in dublin its even worse. the only quiet roads are up the mountains so it takes ya 3 hours to do 48 miles, and the lads at home are laughin at ya because they can get 60 miles in on their long straight, flat main roads around ballymac, carrick/clonmel w*****rs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I try to get min of 12 hours each week or around 300k. Min now would be 200 max was 654km a few weeks back.
    Have done several 450-500km weeks at this stage.
    Training for a multi day event. Important to be able to spend time in the bike. Even more important to spend time on the bike when wet tired sore and bored.

Once this is over I will cut waaaaay back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

blorg wrote: »
    This year quite a lot so far. In the 23 weeks I have logged from 26 Jan (when I got my Garmin back) to 3 July (Marmotte) I have 10,155km, so 442km/week. Haven't been on the bike much since the Marmotte if I am to be brutally honest. My longest week so far was 1,244km.

Out-Blorged again...I think I'm somewhere around 9,000 for the year to date, which averages to about 300km/w, but there'll be a bit of a drop off now that I've achieved all my goals for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

Have been aiming for 200 kms per week and normally get close enough to the mark. This week would be quite typical, 110km so far (since Sunday) with a spin of about 40km tomorrow and another 70k with a few people early Saturday. Would love to have the time to be able to do more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

About 150km a week. Just thinking about it, I reckon my 6 year old averages 20km a week. :D Must try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭endurodave

It varies greatly depending on how busy i am usually i get 40k - 100k in on the mountain bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

I see your spending all your pocket money on tyres and chains

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

130 - 150 km a week, have a training programme based on time rather than distance so depends how quick I go really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭thebourke

i average 100kms a week..thats roughly 20km's per days for my 5 day commute..sometimes i do a bit extra on the weekend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Last 2-3 weeks have been around 150 a week. 3 months before the Marmotte, I averaged around 300-350 a week, most of it on the hills too.

Hopefully start picking things up again but it is about quality, not quantity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Ryaner wrote: »
    Hopefully start picking things up again but it is about quality, not quantity.

I did Balinastoe over the past 2 weeks so I reckon I am at about 30-40km.

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

250-300 commuting to work on a fixed gear and another 150 a week in the wicklow mountains on my road bike.

Only this high as I haven't been able to run this year due to injury, when running I would only commute twice a week but currently on the bike most days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

At least 200km a week with commuting and general to and froing but I can get another 200 or 300km in if I have time for a good weekend spin and an anyways decent mid-week outing. Haven't had a cycle-computer long enough to give an accurate weekly average but I'd say it's between 300 and 400km. Pity it's all at a rather tectonic pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

rottenhat wrote: »
    Out-Blorged again...I think I'm somewhere around 9,000 for the year to date, which averages to about 300km/w, but there'll be a bit of a drop off now that I've achieved all my goals for the year.

What I'd really like to know is: is a non-racing audaxer better at racing than a non-audaxing racer is at audax?

I feel a challenge coming on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

And we get to blorg's numbers, where we all feel guilty, lazy and pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Lumen wrote: »
    What I'd really like to know is: is a non-racing audaxer better at racing than a non-audaxing racer is at audax?

I feel a challenge coming on.

I fear there will be no winners in this challenge, just two losers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

200 +/- 20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Just over 4500km from january so about 160km per week but there was weeks with none

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

150 a week. I reckon if I was in France looking at their perfect roads on the Tour I would do twice as much. My bones are shook to bits on the rotten roads in Louth Meath Monaghan Cavan and the ones over the border in the North are even worse.

I was aiming to cycle 1000km a month. I was on track up until May when I stopped keeping track of my spins. I think I am up to about 6000 this year so far or maybe 6500?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

180 km per week. 6x30km commuting. Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

A 50k spin tomorrow morning will bring me to 800km this month, which is well up on any previous month.

My goal is to maintain an average of 200km per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

YTD average is 137km, but (big, important "but") I was injured for about 6 weeks where I couldn't even use a turbo.

Started back on the bike again in May and did well through June and pretty much back to where I was in July.

Currently averaging about 230 to 250km per week with about 2,000m of climbing.

I do this mostly by extending my commutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

130 to 160 kms pw depending on whether I commute 4 or 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭ThunderZtorm

Once I get proper clothing for cycling, my initial target will be 100km a week, and then rising from there.

My longest single ride's only been 30km so far, but I've been a bit scared of doing more than that without proper cycle shorts - don't wanna hurt myself too bad :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement